TrackIR Demos

Skids

TrackIR Demos

Post by Skids »

Hi.

Is anybody aware of any demos that have been created to show off TrackIR.

I don't mean the movie files that are on this site I mean simple demos such as walking through a house looking round using TrackIR.

I think this would be a great way to show off the TrackIR.

What do others think?
Barred

Re: TrackIR Demos

Post by Barred »

I tried to make one whilst in GTR but unfortunatly the performance hit of capturing would really not give TIR or GTR a fair showing.

There are some demos on another forum for TIR in IL2. I will look one out (or make one).
Skids

Post by Skids »

Thanks for the reply barred but I was thinking more along the lines of a demo program rather than a captured video from an existing game that supports it.

I know this could be a lot of work for somebody but I wondered if NaturalPoint had done anything like this or perhaps somebody had done it as a hobby project.

Is the code available to third party developers?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Skids TIR works in the demo for GTR available from www.GTR-Game.com . You have to go into the games options for controler and in I think it is in 'Game' where you can select TIR reset and mouse look in the game. TIR is only useable from the cockpit and I think the front bumper view (I am not sure as I only ever use the cockpit view).

Oh I should have an ingame AVI soon showing TIR in use with in TIR soon.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Ahoy Skids,

We did in fact have someone working on small apps just to demo the TracKIR, wayyyyyyyyyyy back in 2000. but he let us down (wasn't a very good openGL programmer), and we decided it wasn't the best use of resources. ohhhh i still shudder to think of the 2 reallllly slow and aweful demos (1 of ping pong and 1 of boxing). oh ugh. flashbacks! ahhHhhhh!

Ultimatley, i doubt we'll go down this road again any time soon, because we are primarily a hardware company. So there is no chance that we'd ever make money off of a cool demo. (the 3D heads window is about close as we'll get... and that may get way cooler later this year...)

I am working on demonstrating how we want to be implemented in First Person Shooters for a few interested developers, but I'll show this off using Poser 5 animations. (and maybe a little footage from WWIIonline, which has a much cooler FPS feel now than they did a year ago.).
If anyone wants to discuss this, please feel free to start a thread!)

But this developer demo will be all about making sure developers DON"T think they can use a TrackIR to aim. (not sure yet if we'll release it publicly. depends on how it turns out)

I mention this because i'm wondering how to get this across to all the people that liked using mouse emulation in our old software.
(Not digging at ya Barred, i know you'recool. but for anyone else who might stumble in here, and think that mouse emulation was the way of the future...
I want to make it clear that your head will never be accepted as a replacement for the current mouse aiming. The mouse is already perfecto for it. It would be silly to try replace the mouse. Head based input is currently best as an added bonus that helps immerse you in a game you are already playing. (there's a whole rant about the responsiveness of controls that i am struggling to suppres here. )

anywho. There are several free game demos that we work in currently. Hope that'll do for now.

I'll make a note to collect them all onto one page, in the community section, later this year.

[ February 02, 2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

It's cool Warren

TIR would be great in FPS as it could really help with the immersion.

You can scrub my comment above about the avi for TIR not working, I now have 2 versions one at just under 72meg and one at 25.3.

Now for a host
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

indeed, feel free to email me about hosting.
(i'm also happy to discuss the compression settings that we use for videos on our site).

GTR fan film sounds sweet!