Small movie of WWIIOL as FPS

warrenEBB

Re: Small movie of WWIIOL as FPS

Post by warrenEBB »

alrighty,
here is the quick clip.
http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/fan ... emo-v1.wmv
(9.84 MB - 800x600 -1mbps vid -44khz audio)

this is NOT an official naturalpoint video. just something i whipped up personally.
it's not exciting. just meant to show TrackIR usage in WWIIonline, so we can discuss it here in the forum. please don't distribute this outside the forum. (if you want something to distribute, ask me, and i'll whip out something i'm actually proud of)

so.
note how the view sometimes snaps to the gun when you fire (i don't play the game enough to understand what decides this. i'll ask wayne).
note how the gun moves with you small amount, when you look down.

discuss?

[ March 31, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
pepper

Post by pepper »

Interesting effect, though i dont play this game myself so i dont know what to say about it.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

ack,
i'll whip this out right now.
(and then it's back to this month's TrackIR newsletter)

[ March 31, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
awz10

Post by awz10 »

Thanks for posting, That is nice. I did notice how the gun move with it to a certain degree. Very exciting. Hope we have something to play with soon.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

yeah,
i should have used it while running, as that is the key appeal (IMO) to using TrackIR in WWIIOnline. being able to run across a field in a straight line AND look around to see who's shooting at you. people like to argue that they can do the same thing by turning sideways and strafing, but in practice, you just can't cover ground as quickly by doing this trick, no matter how precise your turn/strafe abilities.

The tricky bit here, i think, is that 2dof view control isn't nearly as exciting/different as 6dof. ie, people are already used to looking around with their mouse look. so 2dof trackir usage probably won't get many mouse lookers excited.

but when you add in the ability to zoom and lean, by doing it in your chair, things get verrrrry exciting. says me.

[ April 04, 2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
Pruitt

Post by Pruitt »

Where it really shones, besides in the ai, is with ATG & AA. TrackIR allows you to continue to track targets much more easily, than trying to follow it using teh standard views.

As far as teh infantry go, the problem with TrackIR usage in WWIIOL is that Infantry views only go 90 degrees from Center. YOu cannot look back over your shoulder. This means that your TrackIR response is deifferent than when using other avatars in game that allow you to look back over your shoulder (Pilots, Tank Commanders, AT & AA Gunners, Trck Drivers, etc...). The only solution I've been able to come up with is to design a separate Profile for infantry. That is until I can convince CRS to change this. lol

Have Fun!