First Person Shooters

Fish44

Re: First Person Shooters

Post by Fish44 »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint-Warren:
We've also done some experiments in Half-Life 2 mods to show off TrackIR usage, but the fast pace of this game makes separate view control less essential........................
[/QB]Hi Warren.
Using TIR3pro with VE on FC1.1.1. updated from TIR2->TIR3->VE.

Used to have a wide dead spot to keep the view centered, until VE. Now there are no dead spots, and head movements feel 'natural'. Ive been playing FEAR, and just realised how this would work in games like fear , (fast action FPS) totally naturally. It would add hugely to 1.situational awareness, and 2. Game immersion. However, independent head movement would need to be built into the game engine. I thinks its a bit like trying to imagine the difference between no tir then tir, and tir then VE. Until you do it you cant see the benefits. But when you get use to it, you dont know what life was without it.

Ive posted on this before, and think that you have to 'prove this' by creating an alliance with one of the fPS developers, and get a technology demonstrator which you can show prospective FPS developers. FPS has to be the holy grail for Naturalpoint, with the huge potential sales both on pc and on consoles.

Sounds to me like Bohemia Interactive are your ticket, given the huge success of OPF, and the fact they have acknowledged the benefits of independent head / view movement. If it were my business I'd be camping outside the doors, until they listened. Hope i'm not sounding critical, i am trying to be constructive.
TBKuehn

Post by TBKuehn »

Jaberwock, thanks for the idea, I'd considered something like a rudder pedal attachment, but I never considered the dance pad. Probably a lot cheaper too.
mmed

Post by mmed »

I just tried to use tir2joy with Fear (FPS game).
I set the tir2joy program to bind joystick buttons to the x and z movement.
Then I mapped those buttons to lean right, lean left and zoom in the games control settings.
Now when I move my body a little to the right or lean my head to the right, the ingame character does the same. And when I move my head forwards, it zooms my view in the game.
Just to bad zoom is only toggable in the game.
After some tweaking of the deadzone in the curve editor in the track-ir software it works really great.
The optimal setting for me was 0,0,0,20,20,20,20,20 (counting from the middle and out).

[ November 15, 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: mmed ]
bigbigspender

Post by bigbigspender »

Yeah the problem is that you cannot constantly turn in around, your head must always return to the centre - there is nothing you can do about this (other than constantly pressing the "recentre" button. Unlike a mouse which you can lift it to recentre but a simple lift, and you probably dont even realise you do it now days.

HOWEVER ! think about any FPS where you can lean ? you can 6DOF , so how about you still aim and turn with your mouse, but you use the track IR to lean, peak around corners, duck, or even dodge by waving your head out of the way of incoming fire ! the head movement of the trackIR would be represented as overall body movement in game, so if you lean your head, the ingame player models entire body would lean.

Imagine being able to look around a corner, quietly and slow peak to check if the coast is clear, or to aim your weapon without exposing yourself.

thats what FPS shooters should be like with a track IR
bigbigspender

Post by bigbigspender »

quote:Originally posted by mmed:
I just tried to use tir2joy with Fear (FPS game).
I set the tir2joy program to bind joystick buttons to the x and z movement.
Then I mapped those buttons to lean right, lean left and zoom in the games control settings.
Now when I move my body a little to the right or lean my head to the right, the ingame character does the same. And when I move my head forwards, it zooms my view in the game.
Just to bad zoom is only toggable in the game.
After some tweaking of the deadzone in the curve editor in the track-ir software it works really great.
The optimal setting for me was 0,0,0,20,20,20,20,20 (counting from the middle and out).damn i should of read your post lol its pretty much what i just said :S does that work in most games ? obviously they need to support leaning