Crysis

Spearhead

Crysis

Post by Spearhead »

It may be a bit early but I guess when it comes to putting in features it can never be too early.

The developer's page is http://www.crytek.com/.

As far as I have heard it is not just a tactical 1st person shooter but also contains a significant part where the player pilots vehicles.
VincentG

Re: Crysis

Post by VincentG »

Actually, we are currently in contact with the game developer, trying to get TrackIR implemented in the game.

edit: Warren is now telling me that we have been trying to get in touch with them, but haven�t yet established contact. Sorry for any confusion

[ August 23, 2006, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Vincent ]
Spearhead

Post by Spearhead »

Good news I must say. I just figured out they are located just around the corner. If they aren't convinced I could arrange for a demonstration

I'd surely like to see them do a demonstration of their Crysis at the GC next week. Thank you for the quick reply.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Hi Spearhead,

We�ve sent off a few emails to Crytek via their website, but haven�t yet received any reply.

I sense you may be joking about setting up a meeting, but if not : please let me know!

I didn�t know it was a tactical FPS. Figured it was more like HL2 or Prey (fast action, which is less conducive to TrackIR�s immersion abilities).

Since Far Cry was hailed by critics but not heavily promoted, we figure Crysis will be huge in EA�s publishing/promoting hands (and so does EA). And when a game is well setup to generate gazillions of dollars on release, they tend to have less interest in supporting new PC peripherals. (see : Battlefield2).

We will definitely pursue support in the Crytek engine as much as we can. If you do have any leads on whom to directly contact there, or would like to poke them for TrackIR support at Leipzig, please do let us know.

[ August 23, 2006, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
Spearhead

Post by Spearhead »

I just returned from the GC in Leipzig a few hours ago. The Show was nice. Lots of things being presented and many of them playable. Also I had the luck to meet several of the Developers (Mainly the designers themselves) and to talk to a few of them (Even though mostly very brief in most cases)

As for Crysis. They did not show the single-player on the GC but they did show a new short 360� Teaser/Trailer on EA's panoramic booth. The good news was that Cevat Yerli was present as well as several other CryTek developers which were showing the Multiplayer part which was still unfinished but playable with 12 players (6 at EA and 6 at Microsoft).

I only asked Yerli about career opportunities at their studio but I did tell one of the other devs (who did have more time) about TrackIR. He seemed to be open about it in general. In my personal opinion though the multiplayer seems still too fast paced to support TrackIR in a useful way (Except in vehicles where it could really shine)

So if you want to contact CryTek about TrackIR implementation I recommend focussing on the advantages of it inside vehicles. Crysis is surely not a bad game to use TrackIR in but it would not really shine here as it seems.

Next I was looking at Battlefield 2142. I didn't really find out anything new. The people at the EA booth who did show the game (It was playable) were not part of the development team and were not able to competently answer my questions.

For example the problem with losing control while mouselooking in air units was said to be not present in 2142 but in fact still was in the game (unsurprisingly) when I tried it out mayself. So any other answers I got are not to be taken seriously and therefor omitted here. Bad news for all the Battlefield airmen.

Good news are now coming from some new game. I was at the developer interview of Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway and did have the opportunity to talk to Randy Pitchford from Gearbox. He was generally interested in the application of TrackIR.

He seemed to recall he was already contacted by someone developing a similar product (Was not sure if it was TrackIR or something else). His main concern is that this technology is of course still not in wide use. It might be a good idea to try and contact Gearbox about BIA:HH since it is tactical, slower-paced and uses the 1st person perspective.

I also met Will Wright but did not have the opportunity to really talk to him. Spore seems to be the most inovative game I saw at the GC but I can not see any reasonable application of TrackIR in this game. The same goes for Chris Taylor who presented Supreme Commander (a strategic RTS) and Thomas Langhanki who did show Paraworld (Out in a few weeks).

I did not see many booths with flight simulation software. (Except for the obvious Microsoft and Aerosoft which are already making use of TrackIR) Racing is not my kind of thing so I do not have anything to report here.

That's about all I have to say right now. If there are any questions just ask away.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Thanks for talking about TrackIR with these people, Spearhead! I really wish we could have made it to Leipzig this year (but we are fairly agreed that we HAVE to be there next year).

I've talked with Michael Athey at Gearbox, and sent our SDK and some systems. So hopefully Randy was indeed talking about TrackIR. Basically the Gearbox guys seem very friendly and cool, and we hope they find time to add TrackIR support into their future titles.

I'd like to discuss the other things you mention over email if you don't mind. I'll send off a message here in a minute or two.