Shortcut to preset 6DOF cockpit position

hnbdgr

Shortcut to preset 6DOF cockpit position

Post by hnbdgr »

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to post it, I apologize if not.

Flight simulators often have gauges on them that are quite small. While using trackir to move your head and look at them is certainly possible it can often take a while to locate the right gauge. Even if it's 2 seconds it's usually 1 second too much :)

Is there a functionality in trackir that would enable to store a 6DOF cockpit position and bring it up and lock the view (while key is pressed) with a shortcut? There are plenty of awkward positions, like the compass's in some ww2 RAF airplanes, etc. that are very difficult to see and this would be a godsend.

Is there something like that and if not would it be possible to implement it? It would be a very useful function.

many thanks

badger
MikeWitham

Re: Shortcut to preset 6DOF cockpit position

Post by MikeWitham »

Badger,

There isn't anything that I know of that would do this. However it seems like it would be very useful. I will add this to a feature request to see if it is possible to implement. I'd poke around the forums to see if anyone has come up with a viable solution for this problem. If you find anything, please let us know.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
hnbdgr

Post by hnbdgr »

Thanks Mike,

I've had a look around I don't think anybody has a workaround yet, except one exotic "trackir emulator". In there it works pretty much as I described earlier - you can set up something like 20 shortcuts or so to different cockpit positions. But as it's an emulator it doesn't use tracking solutions but uses the pov hat to mover around the 6DOF cockpit instead. So you can't use it jointly with trackir and hence the functionality is moot.

But their approach is correct. You can store a position in 6DOF (log coordinates) and then bring it up with a shortcut.

I would be thankful if you could put this up on requested features list. It would be indeed very helpful and a further selling point for flight sim fans.

I would add the ability to:

-store multiple custom views (6-10?)
-an ability to trigger a certain zoom level when the shortcut is pressed. This can be easily achieved by scanning which buttons are used for snap zoom (many games have bindable zoom levels like 30,60,90 degrees). The key press would then:

- activate custom 6DOF
- activate chosen zoom level1
-on keyrelease revert to zoom level2

where zoom level1 & 2 are just keys the user binds to match their chosen zoom level binds in-game.

Ideally of course you could revert to the previous zoom level the user had before pressing the custom 6DOF view key, but I think it would be difficult to do in practice. How would you read the existing zoom level state? Hence the level1 and level2 solution.

But regardless of zoom, even adding multiple recordable views would be very, very handy.

Regards

Badger
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Badger,

Added them to a list. I'll send it up the ladder for you. Thank you for the info and interest in TrackIR.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
hnbdgr

Post by hnbdgr »

Hi Mike,

I was wondering if there is a vote button somewhere for the feature list? If people would show interest in this via a poll or something that'd be great.

Regards

Badger
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Badger,

There isn't a voting system, just me keeping track of the requests. The more often a feature is requested the more visible I make the request to the Dev team.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Metabo

Post by Metabo »

I know this is an old post, but you can use pov hatswitch views in conjunction with TrackIR in Battle of Stalingrad. Each view of the POV position can be customized. You may be able to set one that works for your purpose.