Strategy games!

Arnerdo

Strategy games!

Post by Arnerdo »

Besides playing a lot of racing games, i also like to sit down with a good strategy game once in a while, as im sure lots of others do too. Im wondering if you can try and get some strategy game devs to implement the use of TIR for moving the view across the map. It would be so awsome to be able to lean back and just turn your head to move around. I know its possible to assign head movement to keys, but thats just on/off... It would be much much better if the speed could be dependent on how much you turn your head. Its a two axis movement (pitch and yaw) and should be quite easy and little time consuming to implement right? Zoom in games that use this would maybe be great too.
What do you think?
VincentG

Re: Strategy games!

Post by VincentG »

That is a great idea, and something we are currently looking into. We are constantly talking to game developers, to get TrackIR implemented in the latest games possible.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Have you tried using mouse emulation in your RTS game?
Do you have a specific game in mind?

i have been speaking with one RTS developer, just to see if i can get them interested, but it isn't clear if it's going to happen yet.

The tricky part is that we don't want to force people to perform precise repetetive movements with their heads, as this could lead to strain. the hand is much better suited to precise constant movement, while TrackIR is better suited to casual (not critical to game success) view control.
Strango

Post by Strango »

This could work well as long as you set a decent size dead zone in your profile. Without a deadzone you would need to keep your head very still when using the mouse and trying to select units which can be pretty small in some RTS games.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Very good point.
Arnerdo

Post by Arnerdo »

Have you tried using mouse emulation in your RTS game?
Do you have a specific game in mind?

i have been speaking with one RTS developer, just to see if i can get them interested, but it isn't clear if it's going to happen yet.

The tricky part is that we don't want to force people to perform precise repetetive movements with their heads, as this could lead to strain. the hand is much better suited to precise constant movement, while TrackIR is better suited to casual (not critical to game success) view control.
Thanks for the replies and for looking into this.

No, using mouse emulation would not work, as i would want to be able to move my mouse around as normal. Headtracking would only be used for, as you say, casual (not critical to game success) view control.

No, i dont have any spesific games in mind. Its more like a general idea

Strango has a good point. You would of course need set a decent deadzone to avoid heving to be very presice in your head movements and avoid strain. This "strategy" profile would ofcourse be editable by the user as any other.
Exec01

Post by Exec01 »

What about Company of Heroes?
It uses ALT key and mouse to rotate view... and mouse wheel to zoom.
Caaahl

Post by Caaahl »

I know its possible to assign head movement to keys, but thats just on/off...

Sry, but i dont get it.How does it work? Do i need a special tool or can i do this with the normal TrackIR /Mouse emulation software?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I believe exec01 was saying that Company of Heroes has a mouse look - which is activated by the "ALT" key and this then allows you to adjust the view with just your mouse.
Caaahl

Post by Caaahl »

I believe exec01 was saying that Company of Heroes has a mouse look - which is activated by the "ALT" key and this then allows you to adjust the view with just your mouse.
I know, just played CoH.

No, i meant, how to make it working in RTS, that i just have to move my head for map scrolling? So, f.e., when i normaly do it with the arrow keys on the keyboard, how can i explain TrackIR, that i want to scroll left, when i look to the left (as if I was pushing the left arrow)

You know what i mean?

PS: This time, my English really s****, i think. ^^