Looking for info on first person shooters w/ Track IR!

human

Looking for info on first person shooters w/ Track IR!

Post by human »

I'm looking into TrackIR. I would like to see how it works for first person shooters like Team Fortress 2, Portal, etc, that do not directly support it. I've searched youtube and the internet for videos but all I find are videos for hardcore military sim or flight/racing sims.

Can you use it in place of the mouse for turning your character in the game?

If anyone has experience using trackIR with non-supported games, can you describe for me how it works in the kinds of games I mentioned?
Crewecut

Re: Looking for info on first person shooters w/ Track IR!

Post by Crewecut »

If you use mouse emulation, you�d not last long in an FPS-game. Tried it on COD, and the ammount of time from when you move your head, until your character actually moves, is just too long. Perhaps in a sniper server, haven�t tried that...yet.
There is an FPS-game supporting TIR where you turn your characters head with TIR, and your mouse controls where the gun is pointing, but haven�t tried that out. Forgot what it�s called, there�s a reference on the NaturalPoint website.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Correct... as Crewecut said, you could technically run TrackIR in mouse emulation mode in many non-TrackIR Enhanced games, but if they are very fast-paced, or based on online play, you might have an issue with latency. Even if it's very subtle, games like Team Fortress 2 are so "twitch" oriented, you might find yourself overwhelmed.

However, TrackIR does work great in ArmA. With ArmA 2 and Sky Gods coming out in the near future (along with several other AAA FPS that are currently considering TrackIR), the FPS pipeline will have some new titles soon.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

Dang it, there must be SOME way I can play shooters again! Even if it's first person HL2 on easy mode!