Cryptic's Star Trek Online

ImperialOne

Cryptic's Star Trek Online

Post by ImperialOne »

TrackIR would be stupendous for the starship combat and third person away mission exploration for this MMO set to release in mid 2009. Star Trek Online recently got favorable publicity with a preview and front cover treatment in the latest issue of PC Gamer... where incidentally TrackIR 5 was reviewed favorably (86%) as well.

Please inquire, their Champions Online MMORPG, based on a similar engine, will release soon. As a matter of fact, their game engine is also an evolution of the one used for City of Heroes which was originally developed by Cryptic but now owned by NCSoft.

Appreciate the technology and your fine work!
Charles
Capnbludd

Re: Cryptic's Star Trek Online

Post by Capnbludd »

I just joined the forum to ask you guys to see about getting STO to have support, glad to see someone else already was thinking of it, sad to see no response on it since August 8'/

Well I'm gonna hope for the best.
solomanico

Post by solomanico »

+1 and 1 and 1 and 1 , please help support for startrekonline, the game is great mmo , and very success now and futur , the compatibility required and very apreciate!!! please please
thank for all
team 101 french
and excuse for bad english.
solomanico

Post by solomanico »

[quote=solomanico]+1 and 1 and 1 and 1 , please help support for startrekonline, the game is great mmo , and very success now and futur , the compatibility required and very apreciate!!! please please
thank for all
fleet projetepsilonnova french
and excuse for bad english.[/quote]
THE KNOCK SMITH

Post by THE KNOCK SMITH »

[quote=solomanico][quote=solomanico]+1 and 1 and 1 and 1 , please help support for startrekonline, the game is great mmo , and very success now and futur , the compatibility required and very apreciate!!! please please
thank for all
fleet projetepsilonnova french
and excuse for bad english.[/quote] [/quote]
tiejustice

Post by tiejustice »

Is there any way to use it as just a mouse movement as that is all there is to the game is left mouse button and mouse direction and zoom is just mouse wheel up down???

any help as i have know idea of how to get it to work??

it would be nice to be able to program the thing as it is now not in use as much and with the new tracking devices that are coming out this will soon be old school.

3D head tracking glasses (screen size 58") may be the way to go if the company are limiting the game compatibility.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You could try using the mouse emulation application we include, with a mouse look mode -

Overview
The TrackIR software has been optimized to provide you with the best experience possible, it gives you a simple, yet powerful and highly customizable way to use TrackIR device for in-game view control. Some games however, do not have TrackIR support built in and this is where mouse emulation can be used.

The TIRMouse program provides very basic features and partially relies upon the main TrackIR software application to provide additional customization capability. This program allows you to use the TrackIR in a game that is not TrackIR enhanced.

You can select any of the TrackIR 6DOF axes to control the X and Y mouse emulation movement.
You can enable auto panning for the X mouse movement which will continuously send mouse movement commands while in the auto-pan range.

X Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Yaw'.

Y Axis
You can assign various axes used by the TrackIR here. By default this is normally 'Pitch'.

X Axis Auto Panning
When in the auto-panning zone it will continuously send movement commands. This allows a person to turn slightly and have the view keep moving. A good example would be in strategy games in which you move the cursor to the edge of the screen and the movement keeps panning in that direction until you move away from the edge.

5.6.3 Using Mouse Emulation in Games

The basics are as follows:

Load the TrackIR software.
Load the TIRMouse.EXE file that is located in your TrackIR installation folder. C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR for example.
Load the game you wish to use and be sure to have the mouse look option enabled within the game.
With mouse look turned on you should be able to use the TrackIR now.

NOTE: Some games may not have a mouse look option!
solomanico

Post by solomanico »

thanks mr Vincent, you help me for "tirmouse" i dont know this existed!! but now it s cool , the interest of this product is big now for me :) , best regards and lot of thanks ,

excuse for my bad english
srmalloy

Post by srmalloy »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]You could try using the mouse emulation application we include, with a mouse look mode[/quote]
Testing this with City of Heroes proves that the TIRmouse software works for mapping the TrackIR data into mouse movement in the game, but it doesn't do what I want to be able to do with it because of limitations in the game.

Basically, there are two different types of movement that are mapped to the mouse, but because they both do map to the mouse, there's no way to use both at the same time.

Normally, the mouse motion just moves the mouse cursor around on the screen; if you press and hold the Mouse Look key (normally the right mouse button), then moving the mouse turns your character and your view to follow left/right movement of the mouse, while your angle of view (up and down) follow up/down movement of the mouse (i.e., if you're in the normal 'looking over your shoulder' camera position, when you change the direction you're looking, your character turns to face that way, too). If you press and hold the Page Up key, your mouse movement pans your camera around without affecting the direction your character is facing, so you can (for example) pan your camera around to look at the front of your camera and what's behind them.

It would be nice to be able to separate these and give one to the TrackIR input -- using it to pan and tilt your camera around your character for the best view of a fight, for example -- while you still used the mouse fcr targeting and movement. But because they both use the same mouse input, only one will work at a time, which isn't something that can be fixed with the TrackIR software; NCSoft will have to update their code to allow the inputs to be separated.