Is there a good way to enhance performance...

Alan

Is there a good way to enhance performance...

Post by Alan »

...while playing FPS.

I'm on an Athlon 763
256 Megs SDRAM
16 MB Riva TNT video card.
TrackIR GX

When I run FPS (Counter Strike) the refresh is EXTREEMLY slow ( <1FPS ). I have no idea how to fix this since when I play with the Track IR diabled it works smoothly.

What suggestions do you have? Watching the promotional video I was under the impression that you could game pretty smoothly with this but so far I haven't been able to get anything to work well...

Any suggestions?
Jim

Re: Is there a good way to enhance performance...

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I think we can fix this. Most likely you need to enable FPS Mouse View mode, this turns our Mouse Override Delay down to zero and that should make the game respond normally.

What is happening is that FPS games reset the mouse position to zero on every frame and our program thinks that you have moved the mouse and therefore doesn't issue commands, slowing everything down.

Let me know if that doesn't work.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I always play with Mouse View mode enabled... I have been having problems with other games as well but not as severe. Mostly the problem is poor response time for the IR. The pointer (or view) is very jumpy in game and doesn't move as much as it does in Windows.

I went out and built a simple active IR led but that only helped in Windows. Games are still slow. I'm not sure anymore if it is the TrackIR or my computer...

Let me know if oyu have any ideas and I'll try to see what I can do with my computer...

[ November 20, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Alan ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Let me know what "slow" is. Are we talking 1-2FPS or is the frame rate fine but the tracking isn't? The view paning in FPS games should be as smooth as mouse motion in Windows, actually no difference at all, so not sure what is going on. Have you tried it in flight sims?
Alan

Post by Alan »

I can get it up to about visibily 2-3 FPS. That is with all other software and startup items shut down and only working off the basics.

Mouse motion in windows is smooth. In game when I use the trackIR it seems like the FPS is very low. It may just be that the computer is only getting a signal from the track 2 times per second and so it looks jumpy. As soon as I turn off the active dot and use my mouse it immediately becomes smooth and playable.

I'm not sure what the problem here is...

The only Flight Sim (per se) I've tried it on is "Descent: FreeSpace" and I had the same problem... Something computer based? Anyone tried this on a computer as slow as mine?