MechWarrior

Charlie251

MechWarrior

Post by Charlie251 »

I am curious to find out if anyone has put forth an effort to integrate TIR for Mech Warrior. You would have to use a keymapping feature, I would assume, to make the various commands work. I was thinking of testing something of the sorts of radar and weapons control.

Any ideas?
Jim

Re: MechWarrior

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I have seen Mech Warrior, but not used it. I think that Halstead might know a bit more about this than myself. From what I understand trackIR would make a great add on.
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

I think that there's a real chance for us to get some level of support in MW5, and it would be muchas cool to be able to use a pan separately from the mouse our runner control.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I agree. Not sure on how good a "panning" feature would be for MW. A large percentage of the MW users perfer to use the "out of cockpit" view, where your looking from behind and above the mech. A POV hat works good for views in that situation. The cockpits of the mechs are not designed and detailed enough to even bother using it for a view inside of it like in flight sims.

Now, if MW5 has a detailed cockpit so that all your displays and computers work, not just overlayed across your views, that is a different story. But seeing as how the community likes it the way it is, I doubt that will happen.

My idea was using a key mapping type idea to use it for radar and weapons control.

"Look left" = Radar Next Target
"Look Up" = Fire Jump Jets

Not sure though. Was just wondering if anyone found a use for it in the current MW games out and what was in line for MW5.

But I guess MW5 is still so far out in coming that we can only guess.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Actually, the auto panning feature would work quite well with this type of game.

Instead of ratation of view ala flight sims, the new drivers' autopanning or dead zones could work for moving the mech's torso. When you move your head to the left the torso moves mechanically, at it's own pace, to move the field of view just like with a twist joystick. This would work the same in external as well.

There is no need to see any more of the cockpit then you would without TIR. Built-in support would be a definite benefit though so we wouldn't have to run in "relative" mode.

Hmm, I wonder if I still have MW4 lying around...
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I also saw the possabilities for Mechwarrior and tested it in game as both Aiming (needs tweeking) and for Torso twist.
I would really like it to take the place of hat switches as it does in Il2.
Now heres the important point... most hard core Mechwarrior 4 players play in Leagues and most leagues require 1st person view in server setup so this would be a great thing in the Melee battles that occur.

I always loose track of other mechs because the hat buttons only offer maybe 2-3 positions to the sides.

So i think you have a large market in the mechwarrior market. These guys are sort of into tech just from the role playing side.
I already talked one buddy into it who plays.

Regards
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I really need to reinstall MW4 Mercs and test it out, but Im having to much fun with FB.

The online leagues killed the fun of the game for me. VL went to crap and it lost all appeal to me. So I started flying again. Love every second of it.
DEmonGHost

Post by DEmonGHost »

I play MW4 from cockpit view because I'm a total sim fan.
TrackIR works very well with torso twist and found that my kill ratio when up when i configured for TrackIR.
I posted a question about MW5 on their site about vrtual cockpit panning and TrackIR support and was told that VR panning will be implemented in MW5, but MW5 is a long way off.

[ March 17, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: stonelove ]