Games that AREN'T totally hands-free

TomNY

Games that AREN'T totally hands-free

Post by TomNY »

Just bought Tiger Woods 2003 PGA for the PC. As with some other PC games, the mouse bar doesn't come with you into the PC game, meaning you are clicking "blind." Of course, that also means that you cannot double-click or right-click, or drag, or anything. Without these options and the mouse bar, you cannot play the game.

I have owned the Axis + Allies CD-ROM game for some time. When you join this game, the mouse bar doesn't go with you either, but sometimes if you play around near the top of the screen it will appear when you go to "toggle off." However, you can perform all game functions simply by single-clicking, except for undoing moves. This means you are at a disadvantage, especially if playing online, because the slightest clicking error on your part creates an irrevocable movement in the game. This is a World War II strategy/dice game that can be enjoyable, especially if played online.

Anybody else?
TomNY

Re: Games that AREN'T totally hands-free

Post by TomNY »

Just downloaded Army Men: Real-time Strategy. NOT hands-free for us quadriplegics.
TomNY

Post by TomNY »

I just downloaded Civilization III: Gold Edition from Gamespy. It is crashing two minutes into the contest but I have notified their technical support. I will keep you posted on a workaround.

I don't know if there are any hands-free "action games" out there, like first-person shooters, or something, but I think good strategy games are a nice fit for the capabilities of we quadriplegics.

TC
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Thanks for posting these, TomNY.
Our new SmartNAV lead, Kevin Fox, is very excited about promoting SmartNAV3 usage in any and every way.He and I have had many talks about making a list of hands-free games, just as you are doing.

(it's just soooo hard to test games without buying them first. and then when a game doesn't appear to work, my first thought is : there has got to be a way around this!)

The problem is always clicking, right?

Have you had a chance to do any experiementing with Kaf's "trackmapper" utility?
(it maps out parts of the screen so that a "key press" is triggered by the NaturalPoint software when you move -your invisible mouse cursor- into that area).
People have been using this to have their TrackIR effect leaning and crouching iside 3-D games that don't natively support TrackIR, but I bet it would open up the clicking possibilities for SmartNAV. hmm.

Also, we are pushing the powers that be to persue a voice activated clicker (it'd be an accessory, like a mic boom with a dot built in) so those who can only move their heads could accomplish a variety of clicks much faster than using Dwell software.

more on this later.

(If these games aren't working because of something other than clicking, please let me know)

[ December 23, 2004, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Warren Blyth -webdev- ]
OneSwitch.org.uk

Post by OneSwitch.org.uk »

Will of Steel for PC

http://www.beststuff.com/article.php3?story_id=7774

"VOICE CONTROL
In Will of Steel, the player has full control of all assigned units, camera, and special options such as: Air Attack, Transport, Special Teams etc, through the use of vocal commands. The player can order unit movements, choose tactics, groups units, and can even choose the types of weapons and stances that the units take. These possibilities will allow the more skilled players to play the game and lead their troops exactly the way they desire while the less skilled players will also be able to manage units while using simpler commands and options.

It is also possible to play the game almost entirely by voice commands alone. The mouse pad can be used to select units and groups of units, to point to the places where commands should be executed, and to select options from one of the menus. Keyboard allows for a quick and convenient way (shortcut) for various commands to be executed.

Special focus is given to voice control because it has never been used in RTS games before. Voice control should help the player to control his/her units much more easily and effectively than by just using the keyboard and mouse pad. Besides that, voice control has the purpose of simulating natural verbal communication between officers and their units. This will add to the realism and will make the player feel as if he was a real-life military commander. "
Barred

Post by Barred »

On eDimentional.com they have a voyce system called Voice Buddy that works with modules that 'plug in' to a main core. I have tried it with IL2 with fairly good results.

I do not know if this is of any use to you guys but it might be worth following up.