Support for Skyrim?

nasz

Re: Support for Skyrim?

Post by nasz »

Youngneil,

Any chance you can get some instructions/file from Vic-Viper or others on how to get TrackIR working in Skyrim?

Would like to do this but don't know where to start!
cylonsurfer

Post by cylonsurfer »

Sorry to revive an old topic such as this. Have you guys checked out the "real first person view" mod for Skyrim?

I am one of the dev team and my current build has Skyrim's 1st person camera attached to the players eyebone and the head disconnected from the main skeleton.

Any way you can see to hook the TrackIR into this and control the 1st person camera by manipulating the player characters head position?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

It's a possibility, you should contact our design group via our webform here:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/contact/

Just select "development" from the dropdown and it will route appropriately.
TechnicalGhost

Post by TechnicalGhost »

Hi,

I'm aware that this is a /really/ old topic... Just wondering if anyone ever got anywhere, or if I can be pointed in the direction of someone, anyone, who HAS gotten anywhere with TrackIR support for Skyrim... because this game, more than most, deserves it! :P Thank you!

-TG
Lapin

Post by Lapin »

Greetings,

So here we go, YES it's possible, but not using the original viewmodel system.

Here is a mod for skyrim which modify original view system, it's an arma-like view system.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49036/?
It's a SKSE binary module, it would not be hard to add TrackIR api to this module, but it's closed source.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Boy I wish I had found this thread sooner. I've had many dealings with Betsoft and its modding community over the years, so I can probably be of some help here. First of all, no, Bethsoft will definitely not come forward in this. Mostly indeed because they do not like adding peripheral support to their products, but also importantly because they have a strict policy on further developing their own products post release. For example, Skyrim, now a three year old game, still has a lot of bugs. Many of them were adressed by the modding community, but certain critical ones such as the lip-synch bug were accidentally introduced to the game with the final patches. Over the past few years, Bethsoft has shown no indication to correct these relatively new issues. The bottom line; they won't fix their own products after even a short time post-release has passed, let alone add support for another's.

Fortunately as already has been suggested here, the solution here lies with the Script Extender series most of Bethsoft's games. I have tried out the previously mentioned immersive first person mod that connects the camera to the skeletal model for both Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and they do their job well, particularly for New Vegas. It is sad that SKSE (as well as OBSE (Oblivion), FOSE (Fallout 3) and NVSE (Fallout: New Vegas) is closed source, but there seems to be a slight misconception here about that making it impossible to add TrackIR support to it. I have talked to some of the people who worked on it on many occassions and they are definitely open to new ideas. I am certain they would be open to the idea if Natural Point can open up dialogue with them - I imagine it wouldn't take that much additional work.

There's an email address to be found on this page: http://skse.silverlock.org/ - I suggest you try contacting them through it. Perhaps it would also be a good idea also if some forum users here would express their interest in TrackIR support to the Script Extender team also, because I can't see how they would.. otherwise come to know of it. While this could be done on the regular Betshoft forums or Nexus Network modding forums, from my experience these kind of out-of-the-box topics tend to be disregarded and drop off the front page in less than a day. The community has just grown a bit.. old and disinterested. An email would be the best course of action.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Ah, Tricky, we missed you once again! And so, once again—I'm really sorry that we failed to get back to you in a timely manner.

If you're confident that TrackIR can be mapped to the view in Skyrim, independent of character movement or aiming, then we'll definitely track someone down at the Skyrim Script Extender team. Our understanding has been that the view and aim are pretty inextricably tied in Skyrim (like most games without freelook), but if this isn't the case, we are VERY open to working with a mod team.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Lapin

Post by Lapin »

Hey !

I released a TrackIR patch for Garry's mod few months ago, now i'm working on one for Skyrim, well actually it's a patch for a Skyrim module (Called Immersive FP), which is using arma's system to remplace the viewmodel of the weapon (The new viewmodel is the worldmodel of your body).

The module itself is a bit hacky (I mean it's sometimes not even using DX function or SKSE ones, but just getting var in ASM), if i manage to have some positive results i'll contact NaturalPoint to ask is they allow me to release it. (My SMTP server seems to block NaturalPoint mails, i'll need to fix that too :v )

And then, maybe release a standalone module which is not linked to any other mod.

(And yeah, it's using SKSE)
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Sounds promising! :-)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
HairyGamer

Post by HairyGamer »

So did this ever materialize into anything or should I just go ahead and give mouse emulation a try?