Support for Skyrim?

Mindsphere

Support for Skyrim?

Post by Mindsphere »

Any chance?

Their previous RPGs have tended to be quite open to modding.. so any chances you guys are going to code one up if Bethesda doesn't take the bait?

Combined with the Sony HMZ-T1, I'd be totally sold on a TrackIR 5 if it had Skyrim support :)
Seth Steiling

Re: Support for Skyrim?

Post by Seth Steiling »

For whatever reason, Bethesda actually has a very strict policy against supporting third party inputs, like TrackIR. They've been very consistent in this.

If their SDK gives access to camera control, a mod is something that we could explore.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Mindsphere

Post by Mindsphere »

Seriously? That's weird! I mean, it's not like they're trying to stop people getting an unfair advantage in online play.

I actually asked Peter Hines (PR rep for Bethesda) on Twitter, his response: "Sorry, no plans to support TrackIR" :(

Re the SDK, what happened with Oblivion and Fallout? From my Googling, no-one ever got around to making a mod, but then, there was no Sony HMZ-T1 which could potentially make this game ridiculously immersive if coupled with head-tracking. Did you ever look at the SDK for either of those?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

From what we could gather, Bethesda's previous SDKs are designed to provide access to content creation/implementation (models, scripts, etc.). This isn't the same as engine-level access, which is at least in part necessary to begin modifying the in-game camera's control.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Mindsphere

Post by Mindsphere »

Any news on this? There seems to be great scope for modding with Skyrim, would be great if you guys could take a look :)
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

http://www.gamefront.com/bethesda-still ... ation-kit/

:)

FWIW, I'm anticipating a similar scope as seen in previous Bethesda SDKs, which would leave us without the necessary access to create camera-level mods.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Mindsphere

Post by Mindsphere »

Ah, sigh :(

There's no chance of doing a mod utilising techniques like the graphics extender mod? I believe they modify the program while in memory to do their magic.

A discussion from a relevant thread mention:
Just so it's in this thread as I haven't seen this mentioned yet... one of the common points that's been brought up about Steam modding compatibility is that Valve assisted the OBSE team to get OBSE working with the Steam version of Oblivion. This was, for the modding community, absolutely essential, as OBSE is arguably the most important "mod" ever made. Without it, other top-rated mods such as Deadly Reflex couldn't exist nor thousands of others as they would be constrained to Oblivion's very limited scripting. As well, because of how OBSE works it enables the mod community to patch or alter the EXE without actually changing it (as it's patched in memory.)
If these other mods were able to work their magic without being limited by the SDK, then surely someone else could make a head-tracking mod with the same techniques?

I realise it might not be in scope for you guys to invest the labour to get it done, though this would really be a "killer" app for TrackIR. Think of the publicity you could garner for being part of the most immersive gaming experience ever when combined with the HMZ-T1 :D
Easty

Post by Easty »

The HMD is fantastic in Skyrim.. we need to get this working for TrackIR.. Get over here at Bethesda forum thread and post your support/demands. :)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... __19246532

you can login with your fb account.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Mindspehre wrote:Ah, sigh :(

There's no chance of doing a mod utilising techniques like the graphics extender mod? I believe they modify the program while in memory to do their magic.

A discussion from a relevant thread mention:
Just so it's in this thread as I haven't seen this mentioned yet... one of the common points that's been brought up about Steam modding compatibility is that Valve assisted the OBSE team to get OBSE working with the Steam version of Oblivion. This was, for the modding community, absolutely essential, as OBSE is arguably the most important "mod" ever made. Without it, other top-rated mods such as Deadly Reflex couldn't exist nor thousands of others as they would be constrained to Oblivion's very limited scripting. As well, because of how OBSE works it enables the mod community to patch or alter the EXE without actually changing it (as it's patched in memory.)
If these other mods were able to work their magic without being limited by the SDK, then surely someone else could make a head-tracking mod with the same techniques?

I realise it might not be in scope for you guys to invest the labour to get it done, though this would really be a "killer" app for TrackIR. Think of the publicity you could garner for being part of the most immersive gaming experience ever when combined with the HMZ-T1 :D

I think this could be possible. If you happen to know any of the modders that are/were involved with memory-level camera/graphics modification work, feel free to pass them along to me. (seth @ naturalpoint . com)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Mindsphere

Post by Mindsphere »

I don't know any of the modders, but I'll see if I can track them down :p