MechWarrior

Dragon

MechWarrior

Post by Dragon »

I am wondering if this device would be useable for the MechWarrior sims?
redmenace

Re: MechWarrior

Post by redmenace »

I bet there is some way to use it for mechwarrior II

that one had an eyepoint axis, and it was made to be mapped to IO glasses.
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

I'll bet there is too.
I was hoping to simply use trackIR with ppjoy or tirjoy (joystick emulation mode) to see if i could control the torso.

So i'm buying Mechwarrior 4 and hope to test it out by next week (at which point i'll return to this thread and post comments)

rdmenace are you thinking it'd work better in MW2, because of the io glasses input? did the subsequent installments not have this? is this just a separate joystick input for "eyepoint axis"?

more importantly (er?), do you guys have any guesses as to how many people still play mechwarrior? I used to play it at a special team play cafe setup in Walnut Creek CA in the early 90s. I'm mostly hoping to test it to see how much it's evolved since those days (shudder).

it's hard to get my superiors excited about it, because the last release was in November 2002, and i've no idea how many devoted fans still play it.

hmmmm? recommend any fan sites?

[ June 30, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Warren Blyth -webdev- ]
FooBez

Post by FooBez »

Don't buy the TrackIR3Pro. A really good mouse like the VIPER or Logitech Mx500 will give you aim like a Clan Veteran anyday.

It would be nice if the ABSOLUTE TRACKING MODE could emulate Joystick Axes & customize the axes they are suppose to handle.

I tried PPjoy and TIR2Joy... don't do it. Got multiple errors and half of them were that WinXp was looking for drivers for that virtual.

Absolute tracking mode is precise... no question there. But for MW, a good mouse set to control Torso twist will make you deadly.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Gents....

May I suggest the TrackMapper util that has been advertised around the board? I think it would make the MW experiance pretty good. Maybe not for torso movements.... but for other things definitly.

I have been using the TrackMapper with Ghost Recon to lean side to side, crouch, stand up, change weapons, and reload. It works great.

I would give this a shot before the other things.
G-dawg

Post by G-dawg »

Some good ideas for sure.

As for fanbase, add one to your list. I'm a long-time MW fan, and like I mentioned in another board, wanted to try TIR mainly because of MW. I wanted to control the torso twist with TIR, but so far I haven't had the best of luck. Also haven't had that much time to try different setups, so that will come soon.

One bad thing I've seen with trackmapper is that you must assign a key to each area, rather than having smooth movement. But again, I haven't been able to test it much, so I may be missing something.
AH-1G

Post by AH-1G »

quote:Originally posted by Warren Blyth -webdev-:
I'll bet there is too.
I was hoping to simply use trackIR with ppjoy or tirjoy (joystick emulation mode) to see if i could control the torso.

So i'm buying Mechwarrior 4 and hope to test it out by next week (at which point i'll return to this thread and post comments)

rdmenace are you thinking it'd work better in MW2, because of the io glasses input? did the subsequent installments not have this? is this just a separate joystick input for "eyepoint axis"?

more importantly (er?), do you guys have any guesses as to how many people still play mechwarrior? I used to play it at a special team play cafe setup in Walnut Creek CA in the early 90s. I'm mostly hoping to test it to see how much it's evolved since those days (shudder).

it's hard to get my superiors excited about it, because the last release was in November 2002, and i've no idea how many devoted fans still play it.

hmmmm? recommend any fan sites?A very good place to start in re a BBS is www.mektek.net These folks have kept the game very much alive and active. There are at least 3 very active leagues, MWL, NBT, and Empire with quite a large fan base from all over the world. Anything you Dev's can add to help keep the game alive would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assitance in any manner or form.