Armed Assault & TrackiR

Bran

Re: Armed Assault & TrackiR

Post by Bran »

Just received my "Special Edition" copy.
Not fully tested yet, but TrackIR works like a charm.
Seems, that it is not fully 6DOF, but 5DOF...so leaning is functioning perfectly but the view stays "parallel"...more like a "side step".

As for all new equipment: You should spend some time configuring the movement- and action-keys. TrackIR in a FPS is a TOTALLY NEW EXPERIENCE! You will need a certain time to get used to it, but once done, you don't want to miss that again.

Another hint: I have a very powerfull PC, so I can run all settings on high/very high.
But be carefull with AntiAliasing and viewing distance. It can have heavy negative effects on the frames, and a stuttering game makes the usage of TrackIR senseless.

My rating: ArmA (and TrackIR) = 5/5 stars
Sniper121

Post by Sniper121 »

Bran, will you submit your TrackIR profile to NaturalPoint so we can download it?

I ordered my ArmA from Morphicon three days ago, via a guy known as SniperAndy on www.armamods.net Shipping from Germany will take 3 - 4 days to Omaha Nebraska where I am located.

I hear the controls are for the most part, totally different from two other Bohemia Interactive Studios/Codemasters titles, Virtual Battlespace System 1, and Operation Flashpoint (respectively).
I've seen the video clips posted on ArmA of the TIR4 in action and I'm in awe. Being able to drive, walk, and fly while in ArmA is going to be a truely immersive experience.

I wish I could use TIR4 with OFP and VBS1, but don't know if Trackmapper or mouse emulation with TIR4 is available for use yet. I'll continue to search for answers/files. If anyone of you reading this, knows the answer, please post so that I can implement it with these games also.

Thank in advance,
E.J. / Sniper121
Just received my "Special Edition" copy.
Not fully tested yet, but TrackIR works like a charm.
Seems, that it is not fully 6DOF, but 5DOF...so leaning is functioning perfectly but the view stays "parallel"...more like a "side step".

As for all new equipment: You should spend some time configuring the movement- and action-keys. TrackIR in a FPS is a TOTALLY NEW EXPERIENCE! You will need a certain time to get used to it, but once done, you don't want to miss that again.

Another hint: I have a very powerfull PC, so I can run all settings on high/very high.
But be carefull with AntiAliasing and viewing distance. It can have heavy negative effects on the frames, and a stuttering game makes the usage of TrackIR senseless.

My rating: ArmA (and TrackIR) = 5/5 stars
Bran

Post by Bran »

Hi E.J.

there is actually no need to send a profile to naturalpoint. TrackIR is automatically recognized by the game and fully supported. With that tweaking of the keys and TrackIR I meant, that basic movements and views are defined for TrackIR by default. But when it comes to ironsight view (e.g.), you can even zoom into that, so what would be more logical than to use TrackIR for that?
So when I lean forward, my view zooms into the landscape and when I use scopes and ironsights, I lean forward a bit to get a "zoomed in" view.
Really...scopes, ironsight and all the other stuff is by far the best I have seen so far.
And concerning the movement...hehe...you will have some good laughs at first, thinking that you will run straight where you are looking at...as we all were used to

ArmA and OFP are VERY similar concerning the look and feel, and the key configurations,...but the graphics are equally good as in BF2 .

As for now...happy training, but it will be worth it, no doubt.
Did you order the special edition version? That was only available directly from morphicon for 69,-EUR. Sold out after a few days
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Not sure how well TrackIR wil work in OFP and VBS1, but if they have a mouse look mode, the trackIR could work. We include a mouse emulator application with the TrackIR software for use in older applications that can't be updated to include TrackIR support directly.