Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Thilus

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Post by Thilus »

So I dusted off Ye Olde TrackIR 4 yesterday, for an unexpected release. AC:AH appears to be a competent PC port, even playing pretty nicely with most joysticks. Yes, I know it's not a real sim, please keep comments about that to a minimum (as that's all Steam can talk about). Of course I immediately started thinking about how to get TIR support into the game. It shouldn't be too difficult, as you can bind either keystrokes or a joystick axis to the view controls, but there's a rub. I have set up PPJoy and TIR2Joy properly, they work fine in other games, however, AC:AH will not take the input from a PPJoy virtual joystick, it seems. Any other controllers seem to be detected and will even work at the same time, but the input from my virtual joystick kludge isn't detected. The game does DETECT the virtual joystick, it shows up on the lit of usable devices as PPJoy Virtual Joystick 1, but it detects no input when you try to bind a control to it.

I'm hoping that I'm not the only person trying to get TIR working in this (admittedly obscure) game, but I thought I would start a thread about it and document my efforts. Any input is apprecated ^_^
jolsonsalem

Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Post by jolsonsalem »

I haven't tried to use PPJoy/TIR2Joy on any games myself, but am interested in hearing how it works out for you. Have you tried using the mouse emulation yet? It's only 2DOF and will only work if the game uses DirectInput for mouse handling but might work where TIR2Joy doesn't.

That said it does look like a sweet game. I'm not a huge flight simmer myself but have been looking for a good arcade-ish modern jet game. Again, let us know how it works out :)