Eye Probs?

JAMZ

Eye Probs?

Post by JAMZ »

Sup guys,ive just spent meh cash and bought the IR3 Pro and expasion pack..

i play ww2OL so im waiting too for thier 6pof surport..

guys i got a question for you flight simmers who are using this device:

Its alot harder than what i thought to get used to flying and doing something un-natrual.after about an HR i get eye strain,and im finding it hard to get the orientation right too in keeping ALT and distance to the GRD etc etc..I knwo this is probably normal when you first start using this device,a squad member said it took him 3 mths to get properly used to it!...i dunno if i can wait that long and suck at a game that i enjoy playing so much lol..

just some comments please on YOUR trasformation to TrackIR..how long did it take you,did you have orientatio problems too and would you ever go back now youve got used to TrackIR..

Im just bothered that 1,i wont get used to it enough to enjoy it & 2,sucking at my game

any comments would be helpfull.

ty
Barred

Re: Eye Probs?

Post by Barred »

Hi, Jam.
I really depends on the person on how long it takes to get use to TIR, not an answer I know but it really is. It took me about a month to get to the same level as befor TIR but then I carried on improving.

I think you might be getting eye strain because you are not relaxing when using TIR and are concentrating harder than you were before. Take smaller lenghts of time using theTIR and build it up gradually, with some head and shoulder rolls to help free up your muscles.

Sorry there is not a lot more I can add, just do it gradually and build up slowly. Oh and stick with it.

Good Luck.

edit: Rimind me to proof read

[ March 25, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Barred ]
777 Burnin AVG

Post by 777 Burnin AVG »

Jamz,

Everyone is different. I personally took to TrackIR like a fish to water. In about an hour I was whopping arse with it, but don't despair. Most folks who claim to have neck or eye strain are, like Barred said, not relaxed enough. Edit a profile to give yourself a deadzone in the middle and lower the sensitivity of the profile. Slow down the motion so keeping your head in the right direction doesn't make your eye and neck muscles tense so much.

Jason
pepper

Post by pepper »

Im getting my TrackIR 3 Pro in a few days, so i should lower the settings and relax? What do you mean my relaxing? Because whem iam on final on EHAM or if im searching for bogies in Il-2 sturmovik im everything except relaxed.
777 Burnin AVG

Post by 777 Burnin AVG »

I mean don't tense up your neck muscles and strain to see the screen. Sounds like you may be moving your head too much. Experiment with the settings in your profile. You will find what works for you. That's about the best I can sugget without actually being there in person watching what you are doing.

Jason
Barred

Post by Barred »

The best thing to do and you might need some help with thisif you have short arms, is to set in your normal 'neutral' comfortable position and adjust the sensor so that you are tracking ok in that position.

Then adjust the curves so that their extreems, are where you move your head so that you are comfortably looking at the edge of the screen, with out moving your neck or eyes too much.

At first you will be looking all over the place because you really would not believe how much you naturally move about whilst playing. This can be disorientating at first and eventually you will reduce that movement. Once you are use to looking one way and flying/driving another, you will beable to move your head about to relieve stiffness ect and your 'endurace' will increase.

Think of the first time you used a mouse/trackball and how you had to learn the co-ordination between mouse and eye. It is a simmular process and you will be using muscles that you would normalyy not use that much. That is what causes the strain and the above are ways to reduce that 'stress'.

Good Luck, Enjoy, and give it Time ;D
pepper

Post by pepper »

It worked well, in the first half hour i had also problems wiht my eyes, but now im used to it already and i move it very natural in game, so easy to track the enemy.

I centered the device by sitting down on the way i always sit and then move it left ore right to center it on my baseball hat.
WWBrian

Post by WWBrian »

Alot of great information to peruse!!

I too just ordered mine Wednesday + 2Day shipping to try and get it here by the weekend, but drats if the UPS site says "on time for a Apr. 18th arrival!" Drats!

I too have asked all my squadies who use it, and their average seemed to be around the two week mark.

I would suspect ( I could be wrong as I havnt received mine yet) but it depends on what other views you were used to, such as Padlock, External, etc...

Would seem to me if you are used to being in the cockpit at all times and using a coolie hat, it shouldnt take long. However, if you're used to going to an external view when no visual is achieved in the cockpit, it may take longer.

I suppose (and cant wait!!) until I find out for certain! I'm as giddy as a little school girl waiting for my package to arrive!

Best Regards,

-WWBrian

[ April 15, 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: WWBrian ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Brian, if you are use to padlock and keeping level ect then the time to get used to TIR sould be reduced. Tink of TIR as instant padlock to where everyou move our head, but because your head is moving you get some sence of 'level' because it is your sence of your head's position.
WWBrian

Post by WWBrian »

Thanks for the reply Barred,

Actually, I've never been a fan of the padlock view. I am however a fan of viewing any custom paintjobs on my aircraft.

With that said, I have always gone to an external-view to aquire and/or read a bogey's intentions, and only going into the cockpit mainly for just taking the shot.

While this can prolly be more described as "arcadish", I atribute it to also being an avid flier of radio control. (i.e. I am already used to judging depth perception and maintaining flight course and such)

I am just learning now to stay inside the cockpit now with minimal use of padlock. I can't wait to get my TrackIR tomorrow! UPS says its "on time" for a 18th delivery!

Sorry to hijack the tread, I am getting a bit off-topic from eye-strain. Maybe if I just add some UBB codes to make this post with tiny almost unreadable text it will at least be related to the topic.

~S!~
WWBrian

[ April 17, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: WWBrian ]