Am i the only one who doesn't like..

DNME

Am i the only one who doesn't like..

Post by DNME »

the 360 deg all around panning?

I just got FB and ofcourse i had to try out the trackIR and i must say this panning feature is not exactly what i expected. It doesn't feel like i'm in a cockpit looking around anymore.
Feels like i'm an all seeing eye. I don't know why this has been modelled in this way and i don't understand why. The panning restrictions like with mouselook was much much better. The fact that you were bound to panning boundaries meant that you had some sense of feeling like sitting in the cockpit moving your own head. With this new kind of panning it simply doesn't feel right.
Why didn't the FB beta testers with trackIR report this? With mouselook you already have the ability to pan the view 360 degs but at least you're bound to more realistic viewing limitations which make the experience more immersive.

I'm quite disappointed by the enhanced mode panning ability. The trackIR software is working ok, just the ability to move the view completely up backwards or completely downwards and backwards is totally arcade imo. I can look down and pan all the way to the back without straining my neck.

I've always been a big supporter for the trackIR from the very beginning on, but in this case i can not but say that this kind of trackIR unlimited 360 deg panning is utter bollocks.

I'm not even mentioning the advantages the trackIR users have with this panning ability.
The panning restrictions should be bound by the same limitations as the snapviewers and mouselookers have. You're gonna have people without a trackIR ridiculing the ones with it once it becomes clear how you can pan with it.

I guess i will turn back to using mouselook instead as it works just fine for me. I'm sorry i had to put it this way but this kind of panning ability is totally nonsense imo.
delta_9_tetra

Re: Am i the only one who doesn't like..

Post by delta_9_tetra »

I totally agree with what you wrote! The ability to spin your head around is pure fantasyland. Gone simulation!

I hope this gets fixed soon by whoever must do it! Is it a function of Enhanced trackIR or is it set in the game? Where must we complain to get this fixed? here or OlegsMaddox's ready room?
DNME

Post by DNME »

I already posted one in ORR

For those who have FB and want to see what i mean, here's the nonsense panning track:

nonsense panning
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

The manner of the implementation is decided by the developer. I've talked to a number of people who really like the 360 panning, but I certainly understand your point of view. We'll talk to Oleg about making it a toggle in the .ini file. I'd suggest that y'all do the same in Oleg's Ready Room. Just remember to praise the his work with the trackIR in general .
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Where you can toggle it in the ini or not your gonna have the war "Your not realistic" or "You have the advantage" because you cant proove you have it turned off.

I think we lost a bit of reality with that feature but it sure gives me an advantage. And as bad of a pilot as I am, I need everyone of them I can get!!!!
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

quote:Originally posted by Charlie251:
Where you can toggle it in the ini or not your gonna have the war "Your not realistic" or "You have the advantage" because you cant proove you have it turned off.

I think we lost a bit of reality with that feature but it sure gives me an advantage. And as bad of a pilot as I am, I need everyone of them I can get!!!! Ahhh, once Pandora's box is opened...

[ March 13, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Halstead York ]
Zuki

Post by Zuki »

OK.. I just love the enhanced mode, it makes my IR work like a dream... smooth as silk and because you can set the dead zone theres no bobbling whilst trying to keep your head still, but dnme is totally correct the Linda Blair thing has got to go ....and not from a setting that I can set in the ini.
It needs to be hard coded so that no one has an unfair advantage in multy.
It totally makes this sim look like an arcade game.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

What I cant understand here and please put me right if im wrong, but isnt the view limits set by the developer of the game in this case Oleg. Sure he would have had help from the Track Ir guys on getting the Absolute mode into his game but Oleg im guessing set the IL2 FB views for absolute mode to what you have and can use. So why bag the TIR guys surley you should be betaing a path to Olegs door.

I do however agree with the point that any viewing system should be able to be used by all 3 methods that IL2 FB can use and no one viewing system should be at a advantage which currently TIR has, this will cause no end of fighting within the Simhq forums and also in any multplayer games onHyper Lobby and I can see TIR people getting branded as Cheaters.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Ok I have just come back from the SimHq IL2 forums and I have a better handle on DNME grips with the new IL2 FB Absolute mode, from what I can understand from using the new viewing system pilots with Track IR are able to look down and up and keep going until there view goes all the way back and gives a 6 view upside down (is upside down correct as I dont have Il2 FB yet) if this is correct then im affraid im with DNME here and will join the call for this to be fixed as there is nothing realistic abaout being able to do that unless you were possed by the devil himself, however I have no promblem with being able to turn your head L & R and being able to look right back IF a real pilot could do it, also I think HAT & Mouse users should be able to do it too, there is no way TIR users should be able to have a advantage like this as really its cheating if they do.

Jim & Halstead I really think you need to express to Oleg that he needs to get this UP & DOWN bug (lets call it a bug) fixed in the first patch that will come out for IL2 once we Europeans get it, I think keeping this will harm TIR with the IL2 FB crowd and they are the guys you want taking up the TIR call as they are very dedicated. IL2 FB was/will be TIR showcase product but being able to do something total unatural is not going to show TIR of its best.
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

As an owner of TIR - PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT A TOGGLE!

" We'll talk to Oleg about making it a toggle in the .ini file"

Remove the 360 degree view please - NOT optional!

You know people will blame your view not your skills now - it is bad news

[ March 13, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: 609IAP_Recon ]