(Updated) Getting Track IR working in IL2 FB

Hotdognz

(Updated) Getting Track IR working in IL2 FB

Post by Hotdognz »

Guide :Getting TIR set up in IL2 FB correctly

This a starters guide to getting TIR setup to work with IL2 FB, this is a guide and is based on my basic settings, once its working then I suggest that you
customize the X & Y settings to something you feel comfy with.

First make sure you are running the latest version of the Natural Point TIR softwear.

NOTE (Im using the latest beta v2.11_04 in these screen shots but all setting up is excactly the same)

You can get the public beta here
http://www.trackir.com/files/NaturalPoi ... eta_04.exe

Ok now open the program and set it up like the 4 screens below, these are good settings to start off with, you can then ALTER them later on to
suit your self and your flying style. Also you may have diffrent keys mapped to the TIR functions just make sure you remember them, other than that use the settings I use to start of with.

Set the Main Tab up like so make sure that F8 is showing "trackIR Enhanced" mode

Motion Tab: On this page set all setting as below in the picture, I have used a motion preset of "Deadzone" as this will give you some deadzone around the center of the cockpit so your head movmnets wont be going all over the place.

The default smoothing is set at 75 but I find around 120 mark better so to start of move it up there remember these are settings to start off with once we know TIR is working within the game you can play around with some of these settings.

Tracking Tab: Make sure you are sitting in the position you sit for flying and you are sitting still (its very important to be sitting still) adjust the TIR unit so that the dot is in the middle and tracking well, im sitting at 2.5 feet away from my TIR unit to get a dot like this and it tracks well for me I use a 4 point clover style of overlayed dots that you can see in the last picture in this post, you can see that the dots are enclosed by a green box which means they are being tracked ok, also in this window you shouldnt have any red boxes if you do it means other light sources are being tracked by your TIR unit. Later on when its all working fine go back and read the manual to see what the settings do on this screen as they can help filter out unwanted light and erratic movments.

Profiles Tab: This is the important one and its where it all comes together you will see now that you need to save your profile to a name that you wish to call it like I have in the picture, so go on SAVE it now.

Now also make sure that under the "Select a Game" pick IL-2 Fogotten Battles is highlighted and pick your saved profile to Autoload and make sure the radio button is blue. Once this is all done like the below screen shot finally make sure that the F8 mode (or whatever key you assigned) is still showing "trackIR Enhanced" (<---VERY IMPORTANT) now minimise the TIR softwear to the taskbar DO NOT leave it open as it will suck CPU power and cause bad FPS in IL2 FB ok were finished now fire up IL2 FB, once you are in the cockpit hit F12 to center the view and it should be working ok, if its not you may have pressed the F8 key by mistake and put it back to "Mouse Emulation mode" or you may have switched it off by the F9 key.

My tracking dots setup

If you cant get it to work still then maybe it is not setup in Il2 FB correctly, go into your IL2 FB folder and open the Config.ini file and look for these lines

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

Make sure there is a 1 by the line "trackIRUse" if a 0 is there then its been disabled.

Notes

1: The F8 key toggels between Mouse Emulation & trackIR Enhanced mode, if you are in mouse emulation mode it will not work when you are in the cockpit of a IL FB plane. (IL2 FB uses TrackIR Enhanced Mode only)

1a: Do not confuse the diffrent areas on the Profiles tab, the list under "Profiles" are all the diffrent profiles that you the user have created for you use within games, the "Select A Game" section are the games listed by the TIR developers to have the new Absolute mode support built into the game (FS2002 does not appear here as it uses the old custom.dll file system). The "select A Profile to Auto-Load" box enables you to pick from any of your Profiles on the left for a game listed in the Select a Game section and have that profile load when you start one of the supported games. If you do not select to auto load a profile to a game that uses TrackIR Enhanced mode then it will pick the last one you used or created (thansk to Letterboy1 for this info)

2: Do NOT leave the TIR softwear open as it will suck about 15% of your CPU power, minimise it before you enter ANY game you use TIR with

3: When you start the TIR softwear up it allways starts up in Mouse emulation mode and the Motion tab will allways start you editing in Mouse Emulation mode you will need to set the radio switch to the trackIR Enhanced mode to edit your settings for IL2 FB (these 2 items are being fixed in a later release)

4:Being able to pan 360 degress in IL2 FB is something Oleg released in IL2 FB, it was not put in by the people here at TIR, there is a registry entry that can switch TIR from using view limits off & on in the latest beta of the TIR softwear.

Hope this helps some of you

Discclaimer
I do not work for Natural Point im just helping others get started with there TIR unit

[ July 25, 2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Hotdognz ]
JSJ

Re: (Updated) Getting Track IR working in IL2 FB

Post by JSJ »

Excuse my English.........I am Danish:

Hello

Where can I download NP v2.11?
I can only see v2.01 at www.trackir.com

I need to know because I am working with
TrackIR Enhanced Support for GPL

And some test of TrackIR DOT size for
GPL Zoom (reading W/H data from NP v2.01 via ReadProcessMemory)

*JSJ*

[ July 24, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: JSJ ]
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Sorry JSJ 2.11 is the beta we are testing, i guess I should mention that.

Maybe you could email Halstead and ask him to add you to the beta test, he is quite open to those sort of requests.
Birch

Post by Birch »

Just thought I would let you know that we have moved the 2.11 software into the public beta state. It is now available for download from the support section of our website. Hotdognz and the rest of those who were 2.11 beta testers, this is a new release and I would like to encourage you to move from beta 3 to beta 4 (minor bug fixes, no major feature changes from 3 to 4).
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

As I am relatively new to Track-IR, a question
@Hotdognz: Concerning your picture 2 in this thread: I don't understand, why head movement in the "Motion Preview"-area does not simulate the head movement in Enhanced Mode, although the blue button "track IR Enhanced (Absolute)" is pressed. "Motion Preview" always works in Mouse Emulation. It would be easier to check the chosen enhanced settings at once on this register card and not only in game.

I also don't understand, how I have to exactly set up the "Heihgt Filter" and "Width Filter". The Manual is not that detailed to that aspect...

Thanks for answer!

Reinhard

[ July 25, 2003, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Reinhard ]
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Reinhard can you explain some more please as my head movmnet in enhanced mode is showing up fine in the motion preview screen and emulates the settings I have set.
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

If you have created a dead zone f. ex., then in game slow movements of your head show no reaction in cockpit view, which is correct.

If you however move your head now (same settings) in the register card "Motion" (pic2 in your thread), then the slightest movements move the yellow point in the centre of the dark blue field "motion preview" (even in the dead zone) as if TrackIR was in mouse emulation. The blue enhanced mode button on the right top however shows "Enhanced (Absolute)". So this window does not help you to test the enhanced settings...

Reinhard
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Ah ok im with you now Reinhard.

Yes the view in the motion screen preview doesnt seem to show the settings you have set, as for why im not sure cant say its ever botherd me as I have gotten so used to how it works now that I can edit points and know exactly whats going to happen to my view in the game.

Ill ask in the beta forum for you though.
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Thank you very much indeed for everything, Hotdognz!

As 2.11 beta is concerned, does anyone know, whether the Battle of Britain-bug is already fixed with this version?

Reinhard
commie1

Post by commie1 »

Thanks hotdognz.

It works a treat now!