TrackIR 5 FSX X-Axis Limited Movement

rcarlson1971

TrackIR 5 FSX X-Axis Limited Movement

Post by rcarlson1971 »

Hello, just bought TrackIR 5 and it's working great with FSX except for one issue that I cannot get past. When I slide my head to the right along the x axis the device tracks just fine and the eye point moves in the cockpit along the axis, but then it just stops right about the point where my virtual head is centered over the captain's right side arm rest. I cannot get it to slide any further to the right. In the TrackIR application, the 3D view keeps on moving to the right, but the view in FSX stops moving. It's as if there's an invisible wall keeping the FSX eye point from moving any further to the right, even though the TrackIR device is still tracking my head fine and still moving to the right within the 3D view in the TrackIR app.

This is very problematic because I cannot move over to the right far enough to view the overhead panel or the center pedestal.

I saw some old posts from 2009 about this, but they suggest it was fixed in version 5 of the software.

I have tried creating a new profile, based on the one:one profile, and I made sure there were no limits on the x-axis, and I even tried setting the curve on the x-axis so that it ramps up very quickly from the center. This makes the head move very fast and far to the right in the TrackIR app's 3D view, but it still hits the invisible wall within FSX. (It just hits it much quicker!)

I have verified that my head is still well within the camera's viewpoint, as is evidenced by the fact that the head continues to move far to the right (well outside of the spherical grid) within the TrackIR app.

Any ideas?

-Ross
MikeWitham

Re: TrackIR 5 FSX X-Axis Limited Movement

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello rcarlson1971,

Does this happen in every plane? Does it happen in any other games or just FSX? Is FSX up to date with SP2? Are you using any other add-ons that control the camera or enhance the in-game view control?

If TrackIR is still allowing you to move along the x-axis within TrackIR's software, the limitation will be within FSX. I know that developers will place limits on the view in order to program the virtual cockpit more effectively. They might want to limit the view at a certain point in their virtual cockpit, for performance reasons, to prevent cheating, or unwanted results. We attempt to give TrackIR users as many options and features as possible. Allowing you to create your own personalized profile that is custom tailored to your preferences. However, there needs to be limitations and constraints so the developers can have an accurate portrayal of how the view control will act once integrated. The optimal solution would be to have the FSX developers adjust the limits within their game in the form of an update, but sadly there are no more FSX developers.

I will continue to look for a solution for you. However, I have yet to find a work-around for an in-game viewpoint limitation.

Best regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
rcarlson1971

Post by rcarlson1971 »

It happens with both the PMDG triple 7 and the default C172.

If I turn off TrackIR and just use the backspace and enter key combinations to move the viewpoint, the limitations do not exist ... I can move right out the window if I want. Doesn't that tell us that it's not an in-game view point limitation?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello rcarlson1971,

All that shows is the limitation is put on TrackIR within the game and that their button controlled view operates with a different set of limitations. I would like you try something for me. Move your head all the way to the left, and then center TrackIR. That way your eyepoint is already offset, then move your head all the way to the right. Does it still stop in the same spot, or are you able to "move" further to the right?
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
rcarlson1971

Post by rcarlson1971 »

Doing your test (centering with head full left then moving right) it still stops at the same point, right about the middle of the aircraft. (While the TrackIR 3D display keeps on moving to the right.)
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello rcarlson1971,

Thank you for testing that for me. That shows the limitation is set for TrackIR within the game. Unfortunately, at this time there is no fix for it that I can find. Aside from pausing TrackIR, then using backspace and enter to adjust your view. I will continue to look for a solution, but as I said earlier it is rather difficult to do without a development team to contact.
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
rcarlson1971

Post by rcarlson1971 »

Okay, thanks. If I can't move my viewpoint far enough to see the overhead panel, then that defeats the purpose and I'll have to return the unit. I appreciate the timely support, though.
bacon117

Post by bacon117 »

It's been three years, has anyone found a workaround?

I need to move my virtual head all the way to the window to make slingload activities a LOT easier.