Frame Rates Dropping in game

VFS-22_SPaRX

Re: Frame Rates Dropping in game

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

zBIG,

Can you please post your systems specs. Please include motherboard. Is this happening when you are online? Can you give some more details as to when it is happening?

Also, when you get these framerate drops, try disabling your TIR and see if your framerates come back to normal.

This issue was resolved in 4.03. I have yet to experience this issue since that patch.

SPaRX
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Sorry, I missed your post above about it happening in QMB. We never experienced this in QMB, so this is a new issue. Please still post you system information.

SPaRX
zBIG

Post by zBIG »

Hi,

I have send the dxdiags to support@naturalpoint.com .
Im not sure how the situation was before 4.03 because I have the TIR a week or so now.
Ill try to give my specs again which I got with trial version of Everest:

--------------------------

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2333 MHz (14 x 167) 3200+
Motherboard Name Asus A7V333 (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8367 Apollo KT333
System Memory 1Gb
BIOS Type Award Modular (01/28/03)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
Monitor Eizo Nanao L778 (Digital) [19" LCD] (26227045)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 01/28/2003-VT8367/VT8233A-A7V333
Motherboard Name Asus A7V333

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2666 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
RAM Slots 3 DDR DIMM
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset KT333

--------------------------

Im running win2000 SP4
TrackIR Pro : 48071
TrackIr software version 4.1 build 28

In case I missed something let me know.

Could it be that this is an issue with the TrackIR unit I got ? Is There any way of testing that ?
I still have few days beforethe deadline for sending it back is reached (about 4 more days).

Thanks for you time.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Right click on your desktop and go to properties/settings/advanced - then, click on your video card tab.

1. Turn off antialiasing
2. Turn off anisotropic
3. Set mipmap detail level to: best performance

Next: Go to your IL2 setup program. You can go to the folder where the game is installed or go to: Start/All Programs/Ubi Soft/IL2 setup

Next, at the IL2 setup program, do this:
You should be playing IL2 at OpenGL and full screen. Next, set your video setting to 1152 x 864 16 bit colors.
At the video tab, your video card should be listed or you can click and set it to CUSTOM which will give you more options. So, at the custom screen set:
1. Texture mipmap to bilinear.
2. Texture compression to None.
3. The only boxes you need checked are: Use Dither, use vertex array, Multi-texture and combine.
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

zBIG,

Do you play any other games that are Trackir Enhanced?

If you do, Are you getting the framerate hit in those games as well.

If you do not, would you consider d/ling a demo of a game that is Trackir Enhanced and see if you get the same framerate hit in it. I believe the lates GTR demo has Trackir support in it.

Please bare with me as I ask you some more questions.

When you installed your Trackir, did you install the software first and then plug in your Trackir?

Are you using the latest 4in1 drivers from VIA for you motherboard.

Are you running the latest Bios for your motherboard?

Another thing I noticed from the Everest Information. You are showing an AMD XP 3200+. That particular chip is supposed to be running at 2.2ghz (11 x 200mhz FSB). You are showing 2.333mhz (14 x 167mhz fsb). Are you overclocking? If so, trying running your chip at stock settings and see if you are still getting the same framerate hit.

If you are not overclocking, then there might be something wrong with your motherboard.

This seems to be some kind of hardware conflict in my opinion. I was part of the team that help get the Trackir problem in IL2 fixed and I have yet to see it resurface, so I am pretty confident it's not game specific.

SPaRX
zBIG

Post by zBIG »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Vincent:
Right click on your desktop and go to properties/settings/advanced - then, click on your video card tab.

1. Turn off antialiasing
2. Turn off anisotropic
3. Set mipmap detail level to: best performance

Next: Go to your IL2 setup program. You can go to the folder where the game is installed or go to: Start/All Programs/Ubi Soft/IL2 setup

Next, at the IL2 setup program, do this:
You should be playing IL2 at OpenGL and full screen. Next, set your video setting to 1152 x 864 16 bit colors.
At the video tab, your video card should be listed or you can click and set it to CUSTOM which will give you more options. So, at the custom screen set:
1. Texture mipmap to bilinear.
2. Texture compression to None.
3. The only boxes you need checked are: Use Dither, use vertex array, Multi-texture and combine.I did the things you have stated, allthough I must say that I dont understand how this should influence my trackir problem (is TrackIr somehow dependant on graphical setup ?).
Results:

1. My overall game performance dropped a bit
2. I was not running in my native resolution
3. The gap between TIR and not TIR framerate was still huge. (from 40-60 dropped to 10-20)

Few words to my old setting (maybe it helps somehow):
The AA and AF is turned off and it was also turned off for my old settings.
I was using trilinear filtering and 16bit texture compresstion.
I also had most of the extensions in Video tab turned on (only Clip Hint and Use Palette was turned off).
I was running the 1280x1024x32bit resolution which I set up in config.ini of PF.

Anyway thanks for the try but looks like it didnt brought much.
zBIG

Post by zBIG »

quote:Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:
zBIG,

If you do, Are you getting the framerate hit in those games as well.

If you do not, would you consider d/ling a demo of a game that is Trackir Enhanced and see if you get the same framerate hit in it. I believe the lates GTR demo has Trackir support in it.

Please bare with me as I ask you some more questions.

When you installed your Trackir, did you install the software first and then plug in your Trackir?

Another thing I noticed from the Everest Information. You are showing an AMD XP 3200+. That particular chip is supposed to be running at 2.2ghz (11 x 200mhz FSB). You are showing 2.333mhz (14 x 167mhz fsb). Are you overclocking? If so, trying running your chip at stock settings and see if you are still getting the same framerate hit.

If you are not overclocking, then there might be something wrong with your motherboard.

This seems to be some kind of hardware conflict in my opinion. I was part of the team that help get the Trackir problem in IL2 fixed and I have yet to see it resurface, so I am pretty confident it's not game specific.

SPaRXHi,

Im going to test all those points you have stated, and let you know of the results. Im looking for a demo of game supporting TIR also (PF was the only game i tested it with). Ill also check the hardware stuff. I realize that my motherboard is quite old and it might cause some problems, but system change will be synchronized with BOB release .
zBIG

Post by zBIG »

Ok VFS-22_SPaRX Ive tested all the issues. Here it goes:

quote:Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:

I have installed "silent wings" and experienced the same framedrop problem as by PF (drpps from 40-50 downto 10-20)

quote:

Yes the software was installed first. I had to use the registry fix thou.

quote:

Yes I checked on that too. Ive updated the VIA drivers. No change.

quote:

Actually Im sort of "undercloaking" as my motherboard doesnt allow multiplayer lower then 13 for 200Mhz FSB. The setting I have is the best compromise Ive found.

quote:

SPaRXYes, the "Silent wings" test showed that it must be hardware problem of some kind. Im just wondering if its the TrackIr piece I got which is broken. Is there any special test software I could use to test the TrackIr unit ?
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

quote:Actually Im sort of "undercloaking" as my motherboard doesnt allow multiplayer lower then 13 for 200Mhz FSB. The setting I have is the best compromise Ive found. This would be my suspect. It's quite possible since you have lowered your FSB that it might be effecting the PCI buss speed. If your PCI buss speed is running too slow, then your Trackir unit would probably not function properly as it would not be able to commincate properly with our CPU and the Game you are playing. IMHO, something in this area is probably what is causing your problem. I understand that the 166hmz is a stock speed for other AMD chips, but its still quite possible as that board does not offically support that chip. There is not telling what "auto" bios setting are enabled/disabled by the auto chip detection routines.

quote: Im just wondering if its the TrackIr piece I got which is broken. Is there any special test software I could use to test the TrackIr unit ? I can not say for sure if your unit is broken either. But again, I would suspect the above issue more then anything. There is no test software for TrackIR as far as I know, you would have to ask Vincent that question. We recieve nothing but the Software Version we are testing durning our beta testing. About the only way you can test the unit is to try it on another PC. Do you have one at your disposal you can try it on? If not your own, maybe a friend or relative close to you. You can load that demo game on there and try it.

As I stated above, I would be more suspect of your "underclock". If your chip is truely a AMD XP 3200+, then that Asus A7v333 does not offically support that chip as per the following website

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpus ... del=A7V333

If fact, that show not support for any 400mhz FSB AMD XPs at all.

My suggestion is as follows.

1. Test the Trackir unit on another system if possible. If the unit does not work properly then it is probably defective and you should get a RMA from Vincent.

2. If the unit works properly on the other PC, then your setup is the cuplrit. I understand that you want to wait for the new BOB sim to upgrade, so you might look into finding a motherboard that actually supports your CPU in the mean time. You should be able to get a motherboard pretty cheap off of ebay. I would guess less the $50 US for sure.

SPaRX

Another note, VIA chipsets of that time were not exactly high on my list of "good" chipsets. If I remember correctly, their implementation of USB standards were shall we say "questionable". Another option would be to get a PCI USB addon card and try that. I cannot remember which motherboard I had at the time, but I had to purchase one of these for my Trackir 1 to work properly. Try and get an addon card with an NEC chipset on it. You can ususally find quite a selection of around. I believe even Walmart sells a decent addon card.

[ August 19, 2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: VFS-22_SPaRX ]
zBIG

Post by zBIG »

Thanks for you advices. Ill try the TIR on another computer as you sugested ASAP. If it turns out to be a problem of my computer Ill just put TIR aside and it will wait for my new rig. The 3200XP was an upgrade I made. I knew its the fastest cpu that fits in the slot. I didnt knew that its not officialy supported. Meanwhile I got used to the mouse emulation on my X52 joystick, and it works nice as 2DOF PF lookaround device . Looks like I was too fast with the purchase of TIR.

Thanks again for your time.