Frame Rates Dropping in game

ckur

Re: Frame Rates Dropping in game

Post by ckur »

quote:Originally posted by BM357_Hellbender:
Basically, the TrackIR software (still using v3.13 since it has mouse emulation) crashes every time I first run it. All I have to do is run it a second time, and I'm good to go.

Now, I tried out v4, and didn't experience said problem. Too bad I can't actually use it; mouse emulation has saved me more than once in a particularly bad drop.
I had this same problem also with the I think 3.12 version, had to start it again, sometimes even more than a couple times and then it started working after that. I noticed that if I try to start many things very quickly then this is more likely to happen (Tir, hyperlobby, markings enabler, teamspeak...)
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Back to the drawing board. Got the frame rate drop lastnight. Did it to me 4 times.

SPaRX
BM457_Hellbender

Post by BM457_Hellbender »

I still switch Thread Priority to Normal every time I start TrackIR. Don't know if it really helps, but it's become a habit, anyway.

Also, the software crashes EVERY FIRST TIME I load it up, without fault. I always need to start it twice. After that, it works like a charm (until I get the drop). Version 4 doesn't seem to produce this problem, then again, there's no mouse emulation in it (unless they added it recently, I haven't bothered to check), so no much use to me, unless I want to play Myst V: Forgotten Battles.

So disabling S3TC doesn't do the trick after all? I do have it enabled.
ckur

Post by ckur »

Hi folks!

Maybe some good news! Last night I played for 4-5 hours straight with no fps loss! I used default ati 9800 settings (PF setup menu/video settings) and set the priority to HIGH. What I also noticed that I got some microstutters or choppines, so its not as sooth as one would like, even though I had quite good framerate the whole time.

One thing that might be a factor on those stutters is that there were some 60+ players on the server (Seeigel, test session on virtualpilots_1). But anyway I did not experience the fps loss as before. So all of you having the problem might wanna give it a go.

I will test more on custom settings and without that S3TC compression and post results and findings if any.

I posted this same message on UBI.com, will check on both boards time to time.

ckur
Leadspitter

Post by Leadspitter »

hey sparx, i just noticed somthing recently in joint operations benchmark tests with aa and af over at toms hardware guide.

This makes me think its a ati driver issue with AA and AF seeing this.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/ ... ts-10.html
Chivas

Post by Chivas »

I'd heard about the problem for some time but never noticed it happening to me. Well I noticed it bigtime last night while flying on Warclouds.

I started getting micro stutters and found my frame rate had dropped into the 20's. Knowing about the problem I shut down Track IR 3 pro and my frames rate jumped back up to 100. That was an 80 frame drop. I probably never noticed it before because I usually get very high frame rates so a drop in the 40's would not be noticed.

I restarted Track IR but the game would not recognise it until I closed down the game and restarted it.

AMD64 3800+
2 Gb memory
Nvidia 6800 GT OC 66.93 drivers
Track IR 3Pro with vector enabled

AA 2XQ
AF off
Vsnyc off
I use the default Nvidia settings so I don't think S3TC is enabled.

I will watch this more closely and see if I can help figure something out.

[ March 03, 2005, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Chivas ]
ckur

Post by ckur »

Hi all,

dont know if this is related, but someone knowing more about this may be interested: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards ... 7;t=001848

I am afraid to inform that I still get the frame drop time to time and have to restart PF and Track ir to fix it. I have turned of the texture compression and set Tir priority to high.

ckur
401_GRYPHON

Post by 401_GRYPHON »

Hi

I'm new to TiR but play PF/FB a lot with FRAPS running. I have an Nvidia 6800. Game and TiR runs great for about 30 mins then I get a drop from 50 fps to 22 fps.

Tried typing GC at the console to free resources but it had no effect. I have the 4.024 drivers.
777 Burnin AVG

Post by 777 Burnin AVG »

Hey guys,

This Frame Rate issue has been reported on and off for a long time. We don't seem to have that problem here for some strange reason.

My suggestion is to make sure you are running the latest TrackIR software and every once in a while hit the "Refresh DirectInput" button on the Hot Keys tab in your TrackIR software. This will clear out any old Direct Input flags left over from mapping a Joystick Button to the TrackIR functions. Too many old flags can clog up your memory and possibly slow down your game. It's never been an obvious problem, but we added it just in case.

Jason
BM357_Hellbender

Post by BM357_Hellbender »

Thanks Jason! I'll be sure to test this out.

One thing, though, could we have this as a hotkey, similar to the Center and Pause commands? Having to minimize the game to access this command makes it sort of pointless. :\

[ June 16, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: BM357_Hellbender ]