Frame Rates Dropping in game

Kosh

Re: Frame Rates Dropping in game

Post by Kosh »

I get the problem in single player offline missions as well as online.

I just observed today that in a single player mission (K4, defend the Oder ) The FPS returned to FULL when I PAUSED the game and TIR was STILL tracking.

Pressing F9 also returned the full FPS with the game running.

So, when the game is pasued, something gets freed up.

I hope this helps a little bit.
ckur

Post by ckur »

While I am at it, my system:

AMD Athlon +64 3200, box socket 754
Abit K8V
Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
3x Kingston DDR 400Mhz cl 2.5
Samsung 180 Gb

Track ir3 Pro, driver 4.1.26
Saitek x52
Creative 5100

And yes I get the drop...

And some further info:
My friend (whose setup in previous message above) downloaded the trial version of the 64-bit Widows and said that so far he has not noticed the frame drop.

And for the Tools idea, if someone with this problem and living somewhere near NP, would it be possible for him to visit NP with his computer so they could look into this? Or NP rerpresentavive to visit someone with this problem? They are wellcome to my place, but since I live in Finland I dont think thats gonna happen...

FSNS_CH
TooCooL34

Post by TooCooL34 »

After some more testing in Warclouds,
It seems like it's more of an incremental than sudden phenomenon.

Here's simple log.
I Connected to WC and initial fps avg was around 80 to 90.
It went that way to the end of the mission.
1 hour passed, new map loaded.
Then I noticed there were slight drop in fps a few minutes after.
Fps avg went down to around 60.
It was when 1 hour 10 mins passed,
TIR ENABLE:

TIR DISABLE:

1 hour 25 mins passed,
TIR ENABLE:

TIR DISABLE:

With this senario, as I already said in previous posts, about 2 hours of play makes
60 avg goes down around 20~30 and this really makes life hard.

Anyway, since I eager to solve this bug myself, I orderd separate NEC PCI USB2.0 card to find out whether it's USB compatibility matter or not. I hope it would helps us.
Keep up the good work NP guys.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

Like I said, PAUSING the game in a single player mode restores the FPS as well with TIR still tracking, so the information is getting passed on through the USB at least ( I think). When the game starts running some information flow becomes inhibited somewhere.

I thought about the USB and disallowed XP the power management over the USB, no joy.

[ November 15, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Kosh Naranek ]
TooCooL34

Post by TooCooL34 »

NEC PCI USB2.0 card failed its mission thou I didn't expect much from it. At least it lasted about 2 hours, lol.
It seems it's not USB compatibility problem, but driver bug or some collision between softwares.
Birch

Post by Birch »

quote:Originally posted by Kosh Naranek:
Like I said, PAUSING the game in a single player mode restores the FPS as well with TIR still tracking (snip)
This indicates that the TrackIR application is running normally and not consuming excessive resources, since the TrackIR application continues to process tracking data even when paused.

When paused, the TrackIR still updates the view information in memory that is shared with IL2, it just doesn't change the values and sets a flag indicating that they are old.

IL2 continues checking the view information when TrackIR is paused, so the only difference is that the "view position" values are not changing - this means that there may be an issue with how IL2 is processing new view positions (when they change).
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

I was hoping that this observation might be useful in isolating the problem. We are now able to eliminate certain things, and this points us closer to a possible solution.

The problem is still there however so how do we proceed from here in order to fix it?

[ November 17, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Kosh Naranek ]
TooCooL34

Post by TooCooL34 »

Conclusion TIR doesn't consume excessive resource is VERY OLD, over 1 year. Neither do IL-2.
Important question is, what code of 2 softwares conflict each other and produce this bug.
Didn't you ever asked 1C about view refreshing code or method?
Too bad after all these months, your anwers are just guesses as good as us and no further action is being considered.

If anyone in here (who has problems at present) plan to buy TIR4 , plz let us know if you succeed in removing this bug.
Then buying TIR4 would be the only walk around.
cyanide

Post by cyanide »

Just a quick question since probably some people still suffer from the framerate drops...... ( I know I occasionally did, but haven't noticed it lately......)

Do the people who had the framerate drop all have the trackir3 PRO or the normal model? Or is that irrelevant? Perhaps the refresh rate creating some overflow or something? I don't know if the trackir when refreshing for an x' number of times per second (80 vs 120) also send that amount of refreshes to IL2?.....

Like I said; might be totally irrelevant, but struck me as being slightly possible.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

I have DEFINITELY confirmed that the problem does not occur when the game is freshly started and a first map is loaded. I can attest to the fact that I can maintain an unaffected FPS rate for hours.
However, as soon as that first map is cycled to the next one (without reloading the entire game from scratch) the problem begins to appear almost immediately or within the first 15 minutes.

I have at least found "a way" to prevent the FPS drop from occuring. Reload the game to change the maps. This method though is very inconvenient because it prevents efficient map or mission reloads, and it forces one to lose the accumulated score in an online scripted server every time the map changes.