@Wayne - Update on IL2 framerate drop issue

VFS-22_SPaRX

@Wayne - Update on IL2 framerate drop issue

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

The other thread was getting a little big, so I thought i would condense my information in here for you Wayne.

System Specs
Asus A7n8x motherboard
2800+ barton cpu - running stock speed
1 gig of ram
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound card
Windows XP Pro
Adaptec USB PCI card
Trackir 1 and 3pro

I have tried using onboard USB ports and the Adaptec ports. Tried thru a power hub as well as direct connection to the ports. Results are always the same no matter how the unit is connect.

I have tried lowering the Thread Priority and this did not fix the issues either.

I have not tried all 3.x version and the newest version 4 of the software. All version i am experiencing the same problem.

Here is a summary of what happens. When flying in an online server (this is not server specfic as i have had it happen on different servers), after 30-40 minutes my framerates will cut in hafl. Most of the time this happens when there is a Lag/screen freeze. Switching the unit to mouse mode or turning it off will bring my framerate back up. Most of the servers have map rotations with ~2 hours play per map. When the map rotates, i am able to put the Trackir back into enhanced mode and my framerates to not drop. Then 30-40 mins into the new map, the issue will return. As stated above, most of the time this happens during a lag spike or screen freeze.
The problem is not version specific either. I have had the issue with both Trackir 1 and 3 pro. Someone i fly with regularly has the same issue with Trackir 2. I like the new version 4 software, but i am going to have to use the 3.x versions so i can switch to mouse mode as version 4 does not have mouse mode any longer.

If there is anything i can do to help you resolve this, please do not hesitate to contact me.

S!~

SPaRX
Wayne

Re: @Wayne - Update on IL2 framerate drop issue

Post by Wayne »

VFS-22_SPaRX,

Can you e-mail me the details of the server that you are using, so that I can arrange to be on the same server at the same time.

This is really strange that the same results re-appear with the version 4.0 software when this is completly new code. I have spoken to Ubisoft about this and they could not find anything wrong, the testing I have done so far has revealed nothing.

I will run a debug version on my system and arrange to be in the same server at the same time. Give me time to get the next week out of the way first.

Lets get this resolved.

[ December 14, 2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Wayne ]
BM457_Hellbender

Post by BM457_Hellbender »

Exact same symptoms as mentioned by SPaRX.

System:

Asus P4C800 Motherboard
Intel 3.2ghz P4
2gb Corsair DDR400
ATI X800 Pro
Creative Audigy 2
Windows XP Home

TrackIR 3 non-pro

Let's find out if it only happens to ATI users.

[ December 14, 2004, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: BM357_Hellbender ]
horrido

Post by horrido »

Same thing for me

system:

P4 2.8 Ghz
asus P4B 533 motherboard
1Go RAM
sounblaster PCI 128 soundcard
W2K
trackIR 1

I'm using version 3.13 of the track IR driver

One more thing: the framerate drop seems to appear only when playing online. In quick battle planner, everything run smooth. It seems to me that things went worse after the 3.02bm patch.

[ December 14, 2004, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: horrido ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Hey Gents: I seem to be the lucky one as I run an Asus mobo (A7V333), 1GB Ram, and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder and do not have these problems. I say that because it appears you all have ATI and Asus parts.

1. Check to see if you have the latest and greatest chipset drivers for your motherboard. For those with VIA sets, this is the '4-in-1' drivers. Along with those comes updated AGP and USB drivers for the headers on the mobo. http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

2. What Catalyst drivers are you all using? Are you using any of the .dll mods for better water color or frame rates? I noticed a lot of people will install 4.11 but then put the .dll for OpenGL from 4.1 in there to get the better water color. Have you updated your Cat drivers and noticed any difference or does the problem exist in multiple versions? If so, which versions?

3. If the above two do not fix anything, please take your DXDIAG information and put it in a text file. Then link the text file to the forum. Please do not post the information in the threads as it is insanely long! Then I could dig around and see if you all have the same driver versions for certain gear that I do not. Try to upgrade all drivers for your system before posting this to help immiminate problems.

4. Can you all hook up together and do some normal non-fps intensive flying and monitor exactly how long into the flight each one of you gets hit? If it is within a minute of each other, that would def mean something. Also do the same thing with no trackIR running and see if you get the hit.

Overall, if this was induced by the AEP patch, and multiple TrackIR drivers all do the same thing, then I point to the game. But there may have been a game update that doesnt like some of your drivers or something to that affect.

Thx.
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Wayne: Email sent. Anxiously awaiting your reply .

Charlie,

Sorry if i seemed defensive in my last post. Just a little on the frustrated side as we have been trying to get this resolved since the beginning of July. I will get my DXdiag up for you and post the link.

And to answer a few of your questions. I am running 4.12 beta drivers from ATI at the moment. But this problem has been with every driver version I have used. Motherboard drivers are upto date as well. Sound Card drivers are up to date. The only thing i have not done on my gaming PC is installed SP2 for WinXP PRO.
S~
SPaRX

[ December 14, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: VFS-22_SPaRX ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

No worries. I come across a bit... uhm... ok so I come off a bit odd at times myself. I understand how frustrating it is to have a problem and want to find a solution.

Just as a shot in the dark, have you used that new 'Garbage Collect" mod for the IL2 series? If not, I would try it. If so, I would re-install the game and not use it.

I know a few people in my online squad that use it and say it works great for them. I used it once and had to reinstall the whole darn series... FB/ACE/PF to fix a major graphics and sound SNAFU.

So it works for some and not for others apparently.

I dont have a link to the info but a search on the PF forums would have to net it.
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Charlie,

I know my way around a PC and IL2. I have been playing IL2 since v1.0, so i know its little quirks and such. I admin/run/own a pretty well known server as well. So i honestly know what i am doing for the most part. Man that sounds odd . Anyway, i have tried everything i can think of. Drivers, hardware, software, uninstalling, and resinstalling. Nothing has worked. Infact i was so frustrated with the entire thing i got up one morning and did the ole format c: . Installed Winxp, did all the needed updates for winxp. INstalled all current drivers for every piece of hardware i had. Installed IL2 FB/AEP. Hooked up Trackir. Got on the server and BAM! framerate drops just like before. So even a completely fresh install did not fix the issue. I mean i had NOTHING on my pc beside the OS, Drivers, FLight gear and trackir. Still got drops. So i am at a complete loss here. My PC i play IL2 on is a competely dedicated gaming PC. The ONLY things on that machine are related to IL2 right now as its the only game i am playing ATM. No anti virus, no firewall (aside from hardware firewall). I dont even surf the net on this machine as i do not wish to get spyware installed on it and have to deal with it. So this one is baffeling me

SPaRX

[ December 14, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: VFS-22_SPaRX ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I did not say that you were deficient. I asked if you had used the new 'GC' mod for freeing up memory in IL2.. Since you didnt specify that you had, I had to ask. Do not take that as an insult to your computer knowledge. If asking questions in an attempt to help you offends, then my appologies.

I hope you find a solution to the problem.

[ December 15, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
VFS-22_SPaRX

Post by VFS-22_SPaRX »

Yep used it. No go. I have tried every little thing possible bud. Believe me.