Pacific Fighters VE support

GBrutus

Re: Pacific Fighters VE support

Post by GBrutus »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Vincent:
Let me see if I got this right. You edited the game file, to map a zoom function, and the x and y axis stop functioning?Yes, exactly right. I've been through this as methodically as I can yet it still won't work. Though it is late here and I am tired, so I could be missing something. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant. I would just love to be able to get the zoom to work in Il2.
lightbulbjim

Post by lightbulbjim »

I am also having the same problem - I can use IL-2's TrackIR support, or tir2joy, but not both at once. I know this because when I enable the zooming (and panning stops working) the mouse once again controls the view panning in IL-2 (normally the mouse view is deactivated when TrackIR is enabled). Also, if I start up IL-2 without tir2joy running (so that view panning works), then alt-tab out of IL-2 and start up tir2joy, tir2joy complains about not being able to access the device.

As I understand it, the problem stems from the fact that the newer drivers don't allow more than one program to read the output of the TrackIR at a time (I'm using a TrackIR 4). There is a similar method for getting FOV control working in Falcon 4 (nearly the same, but assigns a virtual joystick axis to FOV instead of the keys in IL-2) that encounters the same problem.

So Devs, can you confirm which version (if any) of the TrackIR 4 drivers will allow more than one program to simultaneously read data from the device? If it is not possible at the moment with the TrackIR 4, is there any chance for it to be on the cards for the next driver release? As I understand it, it used to be possible with older versions of the driver.

[ August 20, 2006, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: lightbulbjim ]
JudgeMingus

Post by JudgeMingus »

Hi.

I was intermittently having the problem that either Tir2Joy or IL2FP/AEP/PF would receive the TIR input, but not both of them.

It turned out that running Tir2Joy from a shortcut would always lead to the problem, but running it directly (double-clicking on the .exe) always worked properly and allowed both applications to access the TIR input...

I have no idea why this would couse such trouble, but there you have it!

Good luck all and I hope this fixes your problems too!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Thanks for the input.
BadAim

Post by BadAim »

After having given up, I was inspired by the recent activity here to try again, but alas, (wipes brow) to no avail. Oh the humanity!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Are you talking aboot using Tir2Joy, BadAim?
BadAim

Post by BadAim »

Yes, indeed I am. I'm getting the same thing others have been getting with either the zoom working or side to side tracking, but not both. I've come to the conclusion that it's either an absurdly simply thing (like the starting IL2joy from .exe [which didn't help BTW]) or the newer versions of either the game or the TIR drivers won't allow it. I'm curious, does any one have this setup working with the latest software versions? I've given up hope of either Natural point or 1c doing any thing (and I do understand the reasons, even if I don't like them).
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

As I�m sure you know, getting 6 DOF just isn't ever going to be officially supported in IL2, and its add-ons.

Unfortunately, we really have no control of what a designer puts in, or how they implemented the TrackIR in there software.
lightbulbjim

Post by lightbulbjim »

As I�m sure you know, getting 6 DOF just isn't ever going to be officially supported in IL2, and its add-ons.

Unfortunately, we really have no control of what a designer puts in, or how they implemented the TrackIR in there software.
That's not quite the issue here. We're not looking for native 6DOF in IL-2.

The idea is to use IL-2's native 2DOF for normal head panning, then for TrackIR's Z axis (moving closer or further away from the monitor) to be picked up by TrackIR2Joy. TrackIR2Joy maps the movement to an axis on a virtual joystick, and the axis is split into segments (and keypresses) by AutoHotKey. The idea being that if, say, your head is 2 feet from the monitor, the key "3" might be pressed, which sets IL-2 to a certain FOV. As you move your head closer, AutoHotKey steps through the "segments" of the virtual axis, changing your FOV as you lean in and out. It's not as smooth as true 6DOF, true, but it still works quite well.

The issue here is that if you have the native IL-2 2DOF TrackIR support enabled, TrackIR2Joy can't read any signal from the TrackIR at all. Likewise, if you disable IL-2's native TrackIR support, TrackIR2Joy reads the TrackIR signal without any problem and the FOV zoom in IL-2 works perfectly.

Now I'm not sure that it's an issue with the TrackIR implementation in IL-2 as such, because from all reports it this trick used to work with the old TrackIR3 drivers. My understanding is that the ability for more than one program to "grab" the TrackIR output simultaneously was removed in more recent driver versions for stability reasons. What would be great is if there was a way around it, or possibly the option to enable simultaneous output to more than one program when need be.

So I guess this is more of a feature request than anything. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding .
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I will foward on the info to the developers.