FS9 Autopilot problem with TrackIR running

SpaGroen

Re: FS9 Autopilot problem with TrackIR running

Post by SpaGroen »

Hi! Allmost a year indeed. Unfortunatly the answer is no. At least for version 1. I have the latest drivers running which also work on the other 2 versions, but I still experience the same problems...
steku

Post by steku »

So bad...

Looks like I'm not going to have better VFR experience in FS2004 with TrackIR... Maybe NaturalPoint programmers will solve this before Christmas? Do you know Santa Claus e-mail by chance?

[ September 11, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: steku ]
Fibble

Post by Fibble »

I havent had my TIR3 very long, but I noticed this problem right away. I have to say I am VERY disappointed to see that the problem was identified (and verified) a year ago and there is still no solution available.

It was reassuring to see how fast the company responded to posts in these forums. But responding to a problem and solving it are two different things. I hope this is not how NaturalPoint is going to support its products.
SpaGroen

Post by SpaGroen »

Well, but I still enjoy flying fs2004 with Tir1 though...

You can easily switch the Tir on and Off with a button so if I want to set the autopilot I look at it, switch of Tir (which also gives you a more steady view) and set the autopilot. Then it works just fine. After that, turn it back on.

Thats all and it doesn't bother me much!
steku

Post by steku »

It's not in any way a solution to problems in TrackIR software but I can recommend two general ideas to improve controls in FS2004:

1. Connect four analogue potentiometers to your gameport interface and assign functions (axes) to them like elevator trim, rudder trim or flaps. Possibility of analogue control greatly improves realism especially when you are flying GA airplane.

2. If you have spare buttons on your yoystick or yoke you can assign them to many functions (nearly everything in FS can be controlled this way!) using registered copy of FSUIPC. For example you can have separate button for turning heading knob clockwise and seperate for turning counterclockwise. I have a lot on buttons on my CH Yoke (using SHIFT function of CH Control Manager software I can assign two logical functions to any single physical button) and programmed separate buttons for heading bug, OBS1, OBS2.
I think that setting your heading bug or OBS this way will be not affected by TrackIR bug (I didn't test this). But I know that even on CH Yoke the number of buttons is to small to control everything.

[ September 12, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: steku ]
Fibble

Post by Fibble »

quote:You can easily switch the Tir on and Off with a button so if I want to set the autopilot I look at it, switch of Tir (which also gives you a more steady view) and set the autopilot. Then it works just fine. After that, turn it back on.True enough, but it also affects trim control. Trimming is for fine-tuning the pitch of an aircraft and is done almost constantly in small airplanes without autopilot. However, one push of the trim button adjusts my trim by 10 notches instead of 1, and sends the nose of my airplane up/down drastically. Not good when setting up a landing.

If a real airplane had this problem it would be grounded.

I havent had my TIR3 very long, so I'm not sure what other controls it is affecting. I do know it affects the heading adjustment knob, the climb rate knob, autopilot altitude settings, trim adjustment, and comm/nav frequency knobs.

The most frustrating thing is that it is intermittent so it is difficult to pinpoint why/where/when it is happening. But turning TIR on/off each time I make one of these adjustments does not increase my gaming pleasure, and pretty much defeats the purpose of having the TIR in the first place.

So do I understand your post to read that this problem has been around since the TIR1 came out??
SpaGroen

Post by SpaGroen »

Let's see if I can get one of the developers to give their response to this...

Edit: I just send an email to the developer responding to this thread before. See above (Halstead). Let's wait for his or somebody else's reaction.

Edit2: Got the email back. Email doesn't seem to work anymore. Just send it to the normal support emailaddress.

[ September 13, 2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: SpaGroen ]
steku

Post by steku »

I wonder if we'll finally receive any kind of answer...

I just checked this with TrackIR software ver. 3.11 at the shop (I visited this shop to test TrackIR before buying) - the problem still exist... So bad...

I was unable to install FSUIPC on the computer in the shop and I'm particulary interested if this problem is slovable with FSUIPC or not. I contacted by mail one of the authors of rewievs of TrackIR - he is affected by this problem but he is using "temporary disable TrackIR" method before setting any instrument and even with this he is happy with this product...
SpaGroen

Post by SpaGroen »

quote:he is affected by this problem but he is using "temporary disable TrackIR" method before setting any instrument and even with this he is happy with this product...[/QB]That is exactly what I ment above.

But I already got a reply from one of the developers. They acknowledge the problem and will respond here as soon as possible.
steku

Post by steku »

I received a mail from Wayne, but if I understand he is not working as a developer.

I hope this time we'll receive a solution (or confirmation of FSUIPC workaround) soon.

There are only three weeks to my birthday

Look at this thread:
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 118#000018

[ September 14, 2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: steku ]