No function in CFS3

sinbad

Re: No function in CFS3

Post by sinbad »

Never mind.

Given the inability to solve this problem any other way (at least so far), I did a reformat and OS reinstall. It took nearly a week.

The system now works AOK in both MCFS3 and OFF.

Thanks to all on the thread for working this issue.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

NI
janiTTor

Post by janiTTor »

Hello Forum!

I've got the same probs.

First i will give you some information about my system:

-AMD X2 4200 @ 2x2,2GHz
-MSI K8Neo 4
-2048 MB Dual-Channel 400MHz Corsair
-ATI Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB PCI-Express 16X
-250 GB Samsung SP2504C
-160 GB Samsung SP1614N U-DMA 133
-Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
-Logitech MX1000 Laser
-Logitech ITouch Keyboard-
-TrackIR 4 Pro with Vector expansion

I tried SW 4.1.0.28, 4.1.0.29, CFS out of the box, Update 3.1, Update 3.1a allways with a clean re-install.

But nothing works. Please don't tell me, that i have to re-install my OS. When i tell the customers that are buying our Software that they have to reinstall their OS in order to get our software to work they would kill me. There must be an issue to solve the problem.

Please help me!!!

Best regards

Kai-Uwe Mather
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You can try the following steps.......

Remove the TrackIR software by doing the following:
a. Click "Start"
b. Click on the "Control Panel"
c. Click "Add/Remove Programs"
d. Find "TrackIR" and click "Change/Remove"
e. Once launched it will give the option to completely remove it.
f. Delete the NaturalPoint folder at the following location, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint
g. Download and reinstall the software from the following location, http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06- ... nuals.html
janiTTor

Post by janiTTor »

Hello Vincent!

Thank you for your fast reply!

Here is what i tried:

a. removed the TrackIR SW by following the steps you told in your post
b. plugged out the TrackIR
c. uninstalled CFS 3
d. removed all install folders
e. used regcleaner
f. removed residual registry entries manually
g. removed cfs folder in "my files" folder
h. rebooted

i. installed cfs 3
j. updated to 3.1
k. updated to 3.1a
l. installed TrackIR SW 4.1.029
m. plugged in TrackIR - found ok
n. updated gamelist
o. checked gauges, head, tracking -> ok
p. started cfs3 -> still no function

q. did the same thing on my laptop - works fine - blue led on when starting the game an fine head tracking in the game
r. copied all folders (paths were the same) from my lap to my desk means c:\prog..\naturalpoint... and d:\games\combat...
s. tried again - still no function on my desk

Recapitulating i can say it must be a registry problem. In order that i removed all Reg Keys that had to do with naturalpoint, trackIR and cfs there must be keys that are crypted no plaintext.

Is there a tool to remove the TrackIR Drivers and all Reg Keys that are associated with it. When I remove the drivers by software menu like you told (i allways do uninstalling like that) then there are still some reg entries that can't be removed manually. They are writeprotected. Seems that they are still in use.

I compared the reg entries between my lap and my desk and found some differences. But when it's not possible to clear the registry from all TIR entries then it is not possible to solve the problem without formatting and reinstalling my OS.

I hope that Information will help you to help me!

Best regards

Kai-Uwe Mather
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

[color:"blue"] You can try the registry clean out application we have......[/color]

This tool looks for entries in the users computer related to NaturalPoint USB devices and attempts to fix problems that may have occurred during the windows installation of the devices and USB drivers.

Note that it is necessary to have the relevant NaturalPoint software installed for your hardware in order for this tool to work properly (i.e.
TrackIR 4 software for TrackIR hardware).

NaturalPoint provides this tool with no warranty and support for users who may have experienced USB installation issues and wish to resolve the problem on their own without the assistance of NaturalPoint technical support. Use of this tool is done at the users own risk and NaturalPoint will not be held liable for any issues which may occur as a result of its use.

Links:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... RegFix.zip

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... RegFix.exe

[color:"blue"] or try the manual instructions...... [/color]

In the registry we need to make the following changes:
NOTE: Be sure to remove any entries in "Add/Remove Programs" for the TrackIR software.

1. Removing the USB ID's for the TrackIR in the registry and any multiple copies. You can access the registry by
doing the following:

A. Click "Start" then "Run".
B. Type: "Regedt32" and press "Enter".
C. When it's loaded be sure to give yourself "Full Control" permissions for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". You
can do this by right-clicking on it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Enum\USB
NOTE: The above might have multiple entries where "ControlSet00x" might be "001" and "002" and so on.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

All of these braches needs the following entries removed:

- Vid_131d&Pid_0155
- Vid_131d&pid_0150
- Vid_131&Pid_0156
- VID_0547&PID_1002

NOTE: Please let me know which of these where found.

2. We also need to remove our USB driver services. There also may be multiple copies as well.
"NPUSB" is what you would want to delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Services\NPUSB
NOTE: The above might have multiple entries where "ControlSet00x" might be "001" and "002" and so on.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NPUSB

3. Also delete any entries that have this string:

- 5&206F11E9&0&2

That's the extent we need deleted from the registry.

4. Now we need the following files deleted from the C:\Windows\INF folder.

- NPUSB3.INF
- NPUSB3.PNF

The following file is located in: C:\WINNT\system32\drivers
- NPUSB.SYS
SeaVee

Post by SeaVee »

I have TIR4 Pro. Always worked fine in CFS3 and FS9 and BoB2. I recently got FSX and uninstalled FS9 as I didn't need/want both on the HD. I had to update the TIR4 Pro software because it wasn't working in FSX.

Now Track IR doesn't work with CFS3! It still works fine in BoB2 though.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the TIR software - both the old software that worked before with CFS3 - and then again the newest update. Each round of that included unplugging the USB cable, deleting the entire remaining Naturalpoint folder after each uninstall and shut down/restarts in between. Still no joy with TIR in CFS3....

I REAAAALLY don't want to uninstall CFS3 and reinstall as it is fully patched and updated with tons of community add-ons, Firepower, WM's scenery, etc. That would take many hours to do and redo. Plus it worked fine with TIR before updating to the latest TIR software versions. Initially I updated for FSX using the TIR beta version before the current final which is supposedly unchanged. I've even tried both of those now and still no joy.

I have not yet tried an uninstall of TIR along with the registry editing. Looks to be a PITA.

Any other suggestions?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I've seen it just not working with CFS3, a couple of times. Just stops working, and am unable to narrow it down to anything within the TrackIR software.
SeaVee

Post by SeaVee »

Vincent,

I know you have worked hard trying to understand this issue and its not your fault personally. However I am really upset with this situation....

I am not a tech novice. I did not break any software/hardware fundamentals installing FSX or the updated TIR software which was specifically to work with FSX. It is extremely rare for me to have hardware or software issues.....

Only three things changed on my system from TIR working in CFS3 and now not working:

1. I had FS9 on my system but just got FSX for Christmas. Due to hard drive space issues I did not want/need to have both FSX AND FS9 on it so I uninstalled FS9.

2. After restart I installed FSX. Initially TIR did not work in it. Naturalpoint's website said there was new TIR software specifically for FSX so....

3. Installed the updated TIR software. TIR now works in FSX but....

Now TIR has no function at all in CFS3. I can see the lights on in the unit on top of the monitor and in the TIR views of gauges, tracking and heads it all reads OK. While CFS3 is running TIR is clearly on but there is no function within the game. Uninstall/reinstall of TIR drivers didn't work -both the old version and the new one. Registry cleaners didn't work. Shut downs and restarts didn't work. Different profiles didn't work, switching to different USB ports didn't work.

TIR still works fine in FSX and Battle of Britain II....

I do love the TIR but frankly I am pi$$ed as h3ll about this. And yes, I understand that maybe the underlying problem isn't even the TIR software but perhaps the FS9 uninstall or FSX intallation doing something to CFS3 or the Windows registry in the background that I can not find...

I've already spent over 3 hours cumulative trying to fix this.

The only remaining "solution" now is suggesting I either reinstall my Operating system or uninstall and reinstall CFS3.

Even if I was willing to spend the many many hours that would take to get back there is no guarantee it would work even then.

Imagine doing all that only to have it not work or even worse, have it working but then after the next TIR software update or running FSX have it stop working again.....

I am soooo irritated right now you can't imagine.
SeaVee

Post by SeaVee »

Originally posted by me at Sim-outhouse.com CFS3 forums

OK, well I have absolutely had it.

I uninstalled CFS3 including all my add-ons, Firepower, WM scenery, 1% planes, mudpatch planes, effects, etc. Deleted all folder remnants of same. Ran a registry cleaner.

Shut down and restart PC.

Reinstalled CFS3, patched to 3.1 then 3.1a.

Started TIR and set to my custom profile and made sure no hotkeys were assigned to anything in CFS3.

TIR4 is still totally dead in the game.

BTW, prior to all this one of my other efforts at fixing was even to run Naturalpoint's registry fix tool here: http://forum.naturalpoint.com/showth...72&page=0&vc=1

I absolutely refuse to reinstall my operating system over this, repair install or otherwise. So I guess until/unless Naturalpoint or someone else can figure out what is wrong I am done with CFS3.

If anyone is considering getting FSX and also has CFS3, you better think long and hard about what it or the updated software from TIR (or both) might do to your TIR functionality in CFS3.

As far as I am concerned, this situation has basically permanently killed CFS3 for me as I simply won't play it without TIR. If I REALLLY liked CFS3, before taking a chance I'd actually get a second hard drive, make a clone of your existing entire HD, (op sys and all) and then mess around with this.

I in fact have a full backup HD from 6 months ago. I could always clone back to that or use it as a base and move over data that I have accumulated since from this existing drive, then re-clone. Still a major PITA as I'd have to update all sorts of operating system security patches, move a ton of vacation and family pictures, video clips, songs and reinstall a number of other programs installed since the last backup. And then at that point I'd be right back to the decision point of considering uninstalling FS9 again, installing FSX and perhaps once again "breaking" CFS3's TIR functionality.

I have done alot indirectly to promote the merits of TIR via demo videos, etc. at this and other websites. For nothing other than it is a good product that greatly adds to the immersion of flight sims.

It is still a fantastic product but I am frankly really PO'd and I think NP is maybe being too quick to attribute the problems I (and quite a few others based on the posts at NP's CFS3 forums) am having to issues other than their own software... Maybe at the end it is the uninstallation of FS9 and move to FSX, or my operating system and maybe not...

But based on the exact sequence of how this stopped working and the many different things I have now done to fix this - basically everything short of reinstalling windows XP (which is IMHO an absurd proposition given that I am not having issues of any kind on any other program, gaming or otherwise with my system - I am now very doubtful it is anything but the TIR software itself that did this.

For now I'm done with CFS3 due to this issue.

Oh, and if anyone thinks this is all that isolated, take a look at the number of posts in this thread: http://forum.naturalpoint.com/showth...age=0#Post6884