No function in CFS3

heloguy

Re: No function in CFS3

Post by heloguy »

I took a look at this thread, as I was having the same issue (No TIR in CFS3). I also have a Logitech mouse and keyboard.

Everything worked fine as soon as I shut off the Setpoint software.

Now, though, I just built a new rig last weekend, and have the same problem with CFS3. TIR worked great the first time I ran it, and won't come on when I run it now. The biggest problem here is that I haven't installed any Logitech software or hardware on this new computer. I left the Logitech stuff on my old rig, and have only used an old Dell keyboard and mouse on the new one.

I have yet to install FSX on this new rig as well. So far, I have only BOBII, IL2, and CFS3, with TIR working fine in the first two games.

My new system is as follows:

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo
BFG 8800 GTX
2gb Crucial pc6400 DDR2
WinXP x64

I'm going to try a re-install of both TIR and CFS3, and I'll get back to you. I just wanted you guys to know there are still some having problems with this out there.

Oh yeah, and when I tried to contact Microsoft, they told me it was a Naturalpoint problem. Go figure
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Keep me updated........
heloguy

Post by heloguy »

Well, after a re-install, patch to 3.1, and re-install of TIR software(30), TIR worked the first time I ran CFS3.

I exited, and re-started CFS3 and no joy. After many attempts of re-starting the programs and then the computer, still no joy, while TIR continues to work with other programs.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Sounds like a registry file is getting corrupted at some point, when you load CFS.
heloguy

Post by heloguy »

Okay, another update. This is even wierder, but a possible workaround for others who are having the same problem as I am.

I tried installing Over Flanders Fields just to try it out on my new machine, and TIR worked as advertised with this game.

That's wierd, I thought, so I tried starting CFS3 right after that. Voila, it worked.

I tried quitting, then starting the game again. Nothing. Okay, now I'm frustrated.

I went up to the menu to quit, and accidentally clicked on the Muiltiplayer Options submenu. Magically, the blue light comes on on my Track IR. Everything works fine when I try it in flight.

I quit the game, and then restart. I let it sit for a few minutes, then try opening the Multiplayer submenu again. Viola, it works.

Like I said, it's real wierd. Do you think perhaps it could be a Data Execution Prevention thing with Windows? I have TIR and a couple of games DEPed on my old system. I wonder if I should with this one. Either way, it seems I've found a workaround, no matter how wierd and random it is.
heloguy

Post by heloguy »

It seems the the Data Execution Prevention option in the System control panal, Advanced tab, Performance settings button was the culprit.

If I set CFS3 and TIR as two executables that are excluded, everything seems to work fine.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Very good tip sir.......
Schnurx

Post by Schnurx »

Yep... although it can't be the reason for the cases where it doesn't work with Windows 2000.
carybrown66

Post by carybrown66 »

So, do I understand that the problem is the 3.1a patch?

I have CFS3 installed and, also, am without any TIR4 functionality.

Granted, Microsoft just generally sucks... absolutely unresponsive and never react in any way other than pointing fingers at others ... cough cough... naturalpoint... cough cough... but I'd hope that SOME final "cause" would have been discovered by now.

For the record, I have been using my now-fully-functional replacement TIR4 for weeks now without incident, except that F-18 and CFS3 won't work. Well, F-18 is not a huge surprise, since it's a fan-made patch and I'm not sure I've gotten all the tiny lil' details right. But CFS3 is another matter.

Between MS and NP, you'd think that a firm grip on the cause would be here.

I guess I need to delete the application... and the mission pack... again... and reinstall... again.

But it would be a REALLY REALLY REALLY good idea for someone at NaturalPoint to really dig into this and figure out what's working incorrectly.

FYI, my installation order is as follows:

CFS3
CFS3.1
CFS3.1a
CFS Mission Pack

I guess I'll test-drive the TIR at each step this time, and see which element is causing the fall-out. But IF it's the 3.1a aircraft fix, Naturalpoint NEEDS to update your "guide to using the TrackIR with this program" page to reflect that the 3.1a MUST NOT BE USED, and you need to also make that clear in the TIR applet.

It's Microshaft's fault, granted, but it's also partially your fault for not keeping us fully informed of what MS has screwed up today.
carybrown66

Post by carybrown66 »

Okay, then...

You say "In most TrackIR enhanced applications, the information is written in the software code itself.

For CF3 we have to use an additional file to try and tell the application what to do. The issue I think is tied in the application itself, i.e. it no longer understands the data that is being sent to it by the TrackIR unit."

So, allegedly CFS3 is looking for a file someplace, on a regular basis, and reading updates from that file? Or is this a "hook" that loads up automatically if it's found at some point?

One thing that I have that many other folks might not have is this: I did not install the program to the "default" location. My install directory is "D:\Flight\Combat Flight Simulator 3\"

SO... is it possible that the "transfer files" are being mis-steered by that? That is... if the program was installed in the default location, it might work... because the "hack" that was used to make it work requires the program to look in that specific location?

I think more information is necessary here.

1) What information is the TrackIR applet sending out, and by what methodology is it being sent?

2) What information does CFS3 read in, and by what methodology is it being read?

I do know that the TrackIR applet does not install any specific DLLs, or anything for that matter, to the CFS3 directory. It DID do that for FS2002, and that works fine.

Seems like the solution would be (1) to create a plug-in type interface, like with FS2002 (and previously FS2004) for CFS3, or (2) create a patch to allow the application to look in a different location for whatever the heck it's looking for (most likely a simple .reg file, I'd assume).

I'm far more in favor of option #1 there.

SOMEBODY at NaturalPoint knows EXACTLY how CFS3 is communicating with the TrackIR software (I'm running the latest version as of today, March 18 2007). Whoever that is already knows the answer to this. He (or she) knows what information is being passed, and the method by which it is being passed, and as a result can save all of us users a lot of headaches by preventing us installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the application, drivers, etc... NONE of which, I think, are really the culprit. And GOD FORBID that anyone should actually try a system reinstall over this.

Vincent, you're a helpful guy... but I think it's time for you to take a walk over the the programmer's office with a baseball bat and get some answers!