Its time agian

Vex

Its time agian

Post by Vex »

Well this is my Dec post to try keep this going. I'm going to try to really work this out in the next couple of weeks to try to find a trick to make this work. I know it will probably be some other program that I'll trick falcon in see the keyboard or mouse that trackIR is driving. Anyone out there that has come close? I've got XP pro and the latest drivers for the track. Here we go...

Vex
snake122

Re: Its time agian

Post by snake122 »

Well Vex,
I'm afraid until we get working GX keymapping we aren't going to have a good solution to Falcon. But I'm all for trying until we get it!

Here's my right mouse button and Cougar method I've posted before for SP3. Unlike SP2 and before, SP3 doesn't let the cockpit continue to scroll if you have the right mouse button down. At first this seems like a it wouldn't help, but the scroll was actually way too fast before. I don't know if F4UT meant to take out but it helped! Now I have a button programmed on my Cougar to auto-repeat the right mouse button so I can now pan around the 2-D cockpit. It's still nowhere as good as it could be (I think it could be much better if the keymapping actually worked!), it also doesn't do any good in the 3-D cockpit, and you can end up accidently flipping switches in the 2-D cockpit. Obivously the first time you track around the 2-D cockpit with this method and accidently flip the gear down and rip them off at above 300 knots this method loses it's appeal!
As for the 3-D cockpit tracking, Halstead has talked vaguely about SP3 supporting it in some way but it's not the best. You can also try to convert the headtracking program on Bricklayer's site to take Mouse X and Y values instead of a joysticks, but then the 2-D cockpit is left out. Keymapping would still be the best all around method for Falcon since F4UT can't do .exe edits anymore. But I'm still interested in the 3-D panning either through Halstead's rumored method or moding Bricklayer's program.

Headtracking program here:
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochest ... iles/headt rack.zip

[ December 12, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]
Vex

Post by Vex »

Snake,
Your right. I found that if you map the repeat right mouse button to the cougar you can then pan around. The camera seems alittle zoomed in on the 3d cockpit and you can loose it real quick. I also mapped keypad 9 to return you back to the forward position. But the keymove mapping would be alot better, I agree. I didn't go into the 2d pit and try it. Also I noticed once I got it to work that Falcon suffers from the same mouse type movements as Flanker does. Its a very course movement at thats why you get the stepping feeling when you do slow moves. The resolution needs to be way highier like IL-2. Its not Falcon or Flanker programs that are the problem, its just the mouse input resolution. I know that both programs can have smooth transition with the cockpit camera. Notice the keypad 9 move and also both of them have smooth padlock-to-viewer control/movement transition. I don't think that there is a way around this one without getting into the code but there might be a way. Thats were I'm going to go next.

Thanks for the direction!

Vex
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by Vex:
Snake,
Your right. I found that if you map the repeat right mouse button to the cougar you can then pan around. The camera seems alittle zoomed in on the 3d cockpit and you can loose it real quick. I also mapped keypad 9 to return you back to the forward position. But the keymove mapping would be alot better, I agree. I didn't go into the 2d pit and try it. Also I noticed once I got it to work that Falcon suffers from the same mouse type movements as Flanker does. Its a very course movement at thats why you get the stepping feeling when you do slow moves. The resolution needs to be way highier like IL-2. Its not Falcon or Flanker programs that are the problem, its just the mouse input resolution. I know that both programs can have smooth transition with the cockpit camera. Notice the keypad 9 move and also both of them have smooth padlock-to-viewer control/movement transition. I don't think that there is a way around this one without getting into the code but there might be a way. Thats were I'm going to go next.

Thanks for the direction!

VexYou were getting right 3-D cockpit right mouse panning in SP3?!? My right mouse button has never panned the 3-D cockpit! Bricklayer's program converted to mouse inputs should be smoother. It's something I would do if I had the programing knowledge
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Folks-
The new version of the trackIR profiler should offer much greater sensitivity control and a mouse 'toggle', which should make it much more useful in Falcon 4.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Great news Halstead! I'm so happy I could almost kiss you right now! If you told me keymapping would work to I would I definitely kiss you! LOL I am looking foward to GX 2.0.

Vex:
If your lurking around please let me know about the 3-D right mouse panning, I've been trying to get this to happen and can't do it. Are you sure you didn't mean 2-D?
Vex

Post by Vex »

Hey Snake, I just got back a couple of days ago. And yes, it was the 3d cockpit that I was panning in. I notice that when I used the right mouse button I could pan around the 3d pit. So all I did was to map a hold on one of the cougars buttons and I could use the trackIR to look around. After awhile though I found it not useful because of the jerkyness of the mouse control so I was going back to mapping method. I just downloaded the latest GX update and installed it. When I went into falcon though it won't run! This was not because of the new GX I had installed a high-res pit and now it just crashes. I'm going back to try to un-install it and see if I can get any further.

Vex
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by Vex:
Hey Snake, I just got back a couple of days ago. And yes, it was the 3d cockpit that I was panning in. I notice that when I used the right mouse button I could pan around the 3d pit. So all I did was to map a hold on one of the cougars buttons and I could use the trackIR to look around. After awhile though I found it not useful because of the jerkyness of the mouse control so I was going back to mapping method. I just downloaded the latest GX update and installed it. When I went into falcon though it won't run! This was not because of the new GX I had installed a high-res pit and now it just crashes. I'm going back to try to un-install it and see if I can get any further.

VexVex,
For the life of me I can't get a 3-D cockpit right mouse pan in SP3!!! Of course I get the 2-d pan as described. Are you using the headtracking command line switch? Hehe, you are using SP3 right?

Also still no keymapping fix in GX 1.30 It's just a code update for future game support. Jim has hinted at something in GX 2.0 that would make keymapping obsolete, who knows if it will work in Falcon though.