Newbie Questions

HanSolo

Newbie Questions

Post by HanSolo »

Hi,
Even with my high expectation due to months of wishing and anticipation, TrackIR did extremely well on my first run last night. Naturally I have newbie questions that you veterans can help with. (wow, like if I am letting you help me.... )

My setup is SP3+FF2+BMS103+FF2.1

1. Does 2D work like 3D enhanced where your position determines which view? It was useless for me (more of hinderance). Any suggestions?
2. I know I need to get used to having my head stay still (just rotating) but staying visual was very disorienting and it was extremely hard to focus on any object while 3D views are in motion especially compared to padlock background in motion. Do you still use padlock?
3. In 3D enhanced, how do I control the tracking sensitivity? It feels like even my slightest twitch is registered (even with the deadzone configuration). How do I expand the dead zone?
4. Generally for F4, any wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated (such as profiles, what not to do, must do, etc)

Thanks.

HS

[ April 01, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: HanSolo ]
Wayne

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Wayne »

Hello,

From the setup that you described I take it that you are using falcon 4.

1) Not too sure of your question here. TrackIR was designed to be used in the virtual cockpit, however now that we have the great keymapper by Koji "KAF" Sato this should allow you to map the 2d windows. I have not yet had chance to try this in Falcon 4.

2) It sounds as if you have very little dead zone set in your profile. So I think that I can answer questions 2/3/4 by helping you to set up a profile that will be more user friendly.

Try these edit points that will slow your speed down and give you a more stable center. The first number is the edit point the second number is the speed.

0/0 2/0 5/0 10/2 20/5 30/10 40/20 50/25

Please contact me if you are having some trouble setting up your profile.
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Thanks, Wayne.

Falcon4 with BMS has a feature that supposely enables the 2D cockpit TrackIR support. Can't get it to work right but I am satisfied with 3D cockpit.

Your help with the dead zone profile solved most of my problems, except for me to get used to it now.

Thanks again.

HS
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hello HanSolo,

I was not aware that TrackIR worked with the 2d cockpit with the new BMS.
Can you send me info where you have seen this?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks I will load this up on our computer and have a look
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Hi Wayne,
When you open the BMS Config Editor (installed automatically when you install BMS exe), TrackIR support for both 2D and 3D are separate options you can select.
2D also has X,Y, speed percentages (which I am not sure what they do) you can configure.

Natively in Falcon4, you can use your mouse to move from one view to next (by scrolling to the edge, then clicking) in 2D, as well as using number pad arrows.

My experience:
Becuase 3D is in enhanced mode, that's the mode I have to use for 2D as well. (I am assuming)
When I move my head, nothing happens for good range of head rotation. Then all of sudden it would shift multiple views. It is incositnent (sometimes it does, sometimes it does other things) and wrong (I could be looking straight ahead while the view is stuck at my 4 oclock, etc). I have just accepted the fact that I should use traditional methods with the 2D cockpit (FLCS hat) for now, as you may know you need 2d cockpit in Falcon4.

Hope this answers your question.

HS
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Hey Wayne and Hansolo,
Sorry for the late reply, I swear I checked here on the 31st and nobody needed anything.

The 2D support in BMS 1.03 is like a POV hat, move your head up for just a short amount of time and the view moves up, hold your head up and it continues to move up. It works fairly well, the keymapper shoud not be necessary in BMS because it would work the same way. I think it just takes practice. It sounds like you have gotten it to work Hans, but your not satisfied with it. A lot of that is also getting the right settings in both your TrackIR profile and the BMS config options.

My TrackIR profile is fairly unquie because my TIR2 sits pretty close to me due to my cockpit layout. However, I can say that for my BMS config options, I like you use the 256 frequency option (controls how fast 2D cockpit pans, and this is the fastest), a .2 pitch percentage, and a .4 yaw percentage (the %s control the size of the deadzone, these are smaller than default). I think these are more noticable for the 2D panning, because you don't want to move your head so far for such a little change in 2D view. Then for larger pans you can move you're head further and it then "holds down" the virtual 2D POV hat.

Really, all of your deadzoning can come from your TIR profile. I think a good profile deadzone should fix your twitching. Go ahead and press the click here to customize and make the deadzone bigger. I like to make the rest like the progressive preset (except lower at first) because even if I move out of the deadzone, it won't result in much movement quickly. See if that helps you as well.

I like my pitch (Y) to have a smaller deadzone and quicker curve than side to side (X) because normally tilting your head up makes the dot harder to track and you just don't have the same range of up down head motion as you do side to side.

Hope this is understandable and helps! Please let me know if it does and don't hesitate to ask more questons. I'll check back sooner this time!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for the help Snake

I found the same.

The 2D support in BMS 1.03 is like a POV hat. The TrackMapper utility is not needed in Falcon
HanSolo

Post by HanSolo »

Hi Snake,
Thanks for your help.
I understand about the 2D cockpit; it appears that I will just have to get used to it.

"Go ahead and press the click here to customize and make the deadzone bigger. I like to make the rest like the progressive preset (except lower at first) because even if I move out of the deadzone, it won't result in much movement quickly. See if that helps you as well."

About 3D pit, I am not sure if I understand you correctly when you said to click here. It sounds like "here" should be hyperlinked or something but it isn't.

Also, I have followed Wayne's advise on the expanded and progressive deadzone. Do you recommend any changes to the numbers Wayne suggested?

HS
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by HanSolo:
Hi Snake,
Thanks for your help.
I understand about the 2D cockpit; it appears that I will just have to get used to it.

"Go ahead and press the click here to customize and make the deadzone bigger. I like to make the rest like the progressive preset (except lower at first) because even if I move out of the deadzone, it won't result in much movement quickly. See if that helps you as well."

About 3D pit, I am not sure if I understand you correctly when you said to click here. It sounds like "here" should be hyperlinked or something but it isn't.

Also, I have followed Wayne's advise on the expanded and progressive deadzone. Do you recommend any changes to the numbers Wayne suggested?

HSHehe that should have been "click here to customize" as in the pthe motion tab in the TrackIR software. Sorry I could have been more clear there. Basically I was saying the same thing as Wayne. If Wayne's numbers work for you, go for it!

I'm of the school of thought that profiles almost have to made by each person (granted this is more of a theory). You can base it off of somebody else's (like Wayne's in this case) but in the long run you have to tweak it to your own perferences. This is because everybody expects a different amount of movement for view changes and the distances the from the TIR to the dot is different for just about everybody as well. Like mine is mounted just a few feet and about chest level in my cockpit which is completely different from somebody's mount on top of their computer monitor that is sitting on a desk.

But my ranting aside, base your's off of Wayne's nubmers and see what you do and don't like. And we'll be here for more help if you can't get it a way you like it.

[ April 06, 2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]