Smooth, slow, and fluid head motion?

Hocking

Smooth, slow, and fluid head motion?

Post by Hocking »

What is the best way to get smooth, slow, and fluid head motions in Lock On using the TrackIR 2 unit? I understand all of the centering issues that are associated with Lock On until the patch is released, but I dont think the patch is going to address the "super-fast" head motions that I am getting with my unit.

I want to be able to move my head quite a bit and only get minimal camera panning in the cockpit. Right now, the camera just goes all over the place with the slightest head movements.

What is the best adjustments to make in the settings in order to get slower panning motions?
617th GD

Re: Smooth, slow, and fluid head motion?

Post by 617th GD »

in the tackIr software under motion, make the reponse curve totaly flat and try setting a speed of around 5-7.
memcco

Post by memcco »

how do i do that..response curve totally flat?
Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Don't know what he means by "response curve totally flat".
But if the view moves around to fast, lower the speed setting in Track-IR2.
Click the motiontab.
Adjust the speed for each "edit point".
Here's a suggestion to start of with.
Edit point 0: Speed 0
Edit point 2: Speed 0
Edit point 5: Speed 0
Edit point 10: Speed 2
Edit point 20: Speed 4
Edit point 30: Speed 6
Edit point 40 Speed 7
Edit point 50: Speed 8

Just click the + and - sign besides the editpoint settings. For each of the edit point you toggle through, move the speedbar to the number above.
When you're finished, go to the profiles tab and save it.

If you want a bigger deadzone (meaning you will have to move your head more before the view starts reacting) then set also edit point 10: Speed 0.

If you want smaller deadzone, set Edit point 5: Speed 2.

[ February 18, 2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Tocca ]
Lipfert

Post by Lipfert »

Tocca,

What is the Smoothing setting?
Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Sorry, didn't see this post until now!

Smoothing (the one you can set from 0 to 120) is how much the program will smooth the movement.
A higher setting will mean that the view movement will be less jerky but also less precise. The opposite goes for low setting.

In a fighter flightsim you really don't need very exact movements, so you should be able to crank it up to somewhere between 80 and 120.
In a game where you need to move your view to an exact location (say for example moving a view for a sniper-rifle) you will need less smoothing to get more precise movement.
pepperg

Post by pepperg »

yeah but in lock on and in other sims that allow zoomed in views, there is a need for very precise gradual movements. it would be nice if you could auto trigger a certain type of trackir response when zoomed in, and then go back to a more fluid and responsive trackir response when zoomed out beyond a certain point. is trackir3 pro capable of this?