some glitches

t2maw

some glitches

Post by t2maw »

Just recieved my vector for my TrackIR. There are some glitches that may be solved either by adjustments to the profile numbers or in a new xml from HTC. I was amazed at how well the yaw and pitch improved especially to the rear. But if any combinations of x,y.z axis was applied things got problematic. I have been working alot with my combat profile and have it tweeked fairly well. What I don't like about the software is that I can't modify Aces High profile itself. I guess I can copy the combat profile to a AHcombat profile. Otherwise if I had other flight sims, all the combat profiles would be the same. It also doesn't do well in the latest version to allow for people to send each other profiles unless you take the time to enter it in XML format. No tir's anymore.

Rear View

When doing a lean or roll when looking in this view, everything acts backwards. In order to look at a left rear and lean or roll left view, you physically have to yaw right then lean left or roll left.(and visa-versa)

To get the best rear view you have to lean forward and then yaw left or right. This actually is correct when you think about it.

Side View

When trying to lean left or right and look down, it doesn't work. Again, physically in a chair you would lean right or left and then yaw left or right.

Many of the end points caused a jump to a view of the seat.
777 Burnin AVG

Re: some glitches

Post by 777 Burnin AVG »

I'm sorry you are having some difficulty. It sounds like you may be leaning too far and the unit is loosing track of the dots. I really need to check it out in Aces High again. It's been a few months since I have flown AH. Also, the rear view issues you have mentioned are know to us, but we are unable to change how it works at this time. However, thanks for your input. It is much appreciated.

Jason
Combathanger

Post by Combathanger »

Be sure you put the TIR as far away as practical to give it a good range of motion (3 feet works well). You should play around with the sensativity bands to help most issues...looking down and left/right isnt something I do much...theres an airplane fusalage in the way But you need to ensure you center is proporly setup and that you have the vector hat angled to the unit (it its 15� above you , you should where your hat at that angle so its pointing directly at the unit when centered).

On the rear view thing, there is a misconception in with some that the rear view is 'reversed'...it is not....you are asking for something that is impractical given the physics of the world we live in.

When you look BACK with the TIR, you are turning your head only slightly in real life....

IN REAL LIFE::: as you look back over your left shoulder in real life you lean towards that left shoulder to get a better rear view over your left shoulder. However you are leaning yo YOUR HEADS RIGHT SIDE, because your head is now 'on backwards' you SMUSH your right cheek and ear against the canopy to see better.

WITH TIR ::: as you look back over your virtual left shoulder, you are still ACTUALLY facing forward, and if you lean to the left....you would be leaning in the OPPOSIT direction then is natural and will be putting your LEFT CHEEK in the virtual canopy....very counter intuative.

Then theres the issue of when do you 'change' the left =left to left=right motion....it just dont work.

It is NOT broken, it CANNOT be changed.....unless and until you strap the monitor to your face (VR GOGGLES) and get multiple TIR units so it can track you as you REALLY turn your head around.

heres a short video of why the views are correct AS IS

[ June 11, 2005, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Combathanger ]
t2maw

Post by t2maw »

Your description of looking back doesn't fit. If I'm sitting in my chair and I want to look behind me to the right I first turn my head to the right. If I want to see around the headrest or back of the chair I lean right. I don't lean left. I'm not talking about twisting my body and then leaning left. The another thing that happens when I just look to the side and try to lean is it stops. Your suggestion of moving the trackir further back did improve things. Thank You. The trackir for the most part works really well in Aces High 2. It doesn't work in the external views such as in bombers. This is Hightech's problem. I just have a second set setup for the hat that uses the default views. I also use this when shooting in ground vehicles.

[ June 11, 2005, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: t2maw ]
Combathanger

Post by Combathanger »

When you turn to look over your RIGHT shoulder, and then lean to see around an obstruction directly behind you you do indeed lean to your bodies right.....

HOWEVER, you head is now OPPOSIT your body, and you are leaning to your heads LEFT.

Its all rather confusing, but let me just put it this way, if it was changed it would be much harder to get used to because you would be leaning one way and the screen image would move in the opposit direction.