TrackIR problem with dual display - please help!

Agent2828

TrackIR problem with dual display - please help!

Post by Agent2828 »

Hello!

I saved up and finally bought a new computer that includes Intel Core i7 960 running at 3.2Ghz (overclocked can go to 3.85Ghz) and a GeForce GTX580 with output to two 24" displays.

I am trying to use FSX with the two displays, and I have set it up as follows: I have my left (primary) screen with a virtual cockpit view, and I then open up another undocked window with another virtual cockpit view that I drag to my right screen. With some adjustment of the viewing angle it looks like one big view across both screens.

I just purchased TrackIR to use with this setup, but I can only get ONE screen to track at a time (I think only the primary (left) display).

MY QUESTION: Is there a way to use the TrackIR to pan BOTH my left and right screens simultaneously? Is there something wrong with how I setup my dual displays in FSX? Essentially, I'd like to have one wide view (across two displays) with the ability to pan both at once using the TrackIR.

I'd truly appreciate any help with finding the solution with this frustrating problem.

Thanks so much!

Steve
Seth Steiling

Re: TrackIR problem with dual display - please help!

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Steve,

TrackIR can only control one window at a time, so your current approach won't work.

I don't recall the display settings available within FSX, but I recommend running it in full-screen mode, with the window stretched across both displays. If there is a resolution setting within FSX that matches the combined resolution you're running on your displays, this should ensure that the image is scaled properly.

I expect this type of configuration should be possible via the Nvidia GPU configuration + FSX display configuration, but for further support on customizing your display, you might need to contact Nvidia support or start a thread in an FSX community forum like Avsim.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Agent2828

Post by Agent2828 »

Thanks very much for your prompt response, Seth.

I've done a little research, and this is what I've found:

Apparently older versions of Windows had a "horizontal span mode", which no longer exists in Vista and Windows 7. This previously allowed one to stretch the display in FSX across two monitors, as you suggest. Currently, however, the largest resolution allowed in FSX is that of only the largest monitor you have, unfortunately. People have tried to work around this with the idea of manually editing the FSX.cfg file to allow a higher resolution (i.e. double width), however this still did not work.

Here is a link to a forum that describes this issue: http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/in ... pic=157442

Essentially, it appears to me that unless one uses a Matrox DualHead2Go hardware device (not sensible to buy when you have a graphics card with double DVI outputs), one cannot span two displays with the same window in FSX when using Windows 7 or Vista. What I've done (open a new FSX view on the second display, as described above) is the best that I have found possible. Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, this still does not allow TrackIR to control both views/screens.

The only solutions that I can think of would be from the following:

1. From a software update to FSX that allows one to stretch a double width resolution window across both monitors rather than the less preferable alternative, which is to open a new view on the second monitor and try to line up the perspectives so it looks like one view across both monitors. This Microsoft update is unlikely to occur, unfortunately, since it would only benefit strongly those people who want to use TrackIR *AND* multiple displays.

OR

2. The other solution would be from an update to the TrackIR software in which the TrackIR device will control both views in FSX simultaneously.

I anticipate that with faster and less expensive computers/ graphics cards/ displays coming out, this is going to become and ever-increasing issue for users who want to use TrackIR on a dual or triple monitor setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now users like myself have to choose between using either TrackIR or being able to see a view across both monitors in FSX. I'm hoping a software update is on the way.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate your sharing them.

Thanks very much!

Steve
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I agree that an FSX-side change is unlikely to happen, as it is no longer under development and I believe Microsoft actually sold the IP to Lockheed Martin.

Unfortunately, your second suggestion also isn't feasible. The TrackIR software doesn't have control over how the data we send to the game client is used. We stream 6 DOF data to the game client, and the developers determine how to integrate it. With any conceivable change to the way FSX handles display configuration and view control, it's outside of our jurisdiction to modify, I'm afraid. Even if we wanted to, we couldn't.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Agent2828

Post by Agent2828 »

Oh that's unfortunate :( I do understand though. Once again, I appreciate your prompt responses very much! Thank you.
Airmail

Post by Airmail »

Hi SteveM

You've obviously tried to get a great setup, and it beats my i5 system.

Except in one area, I have FSX running on three monitors using a cheap Eyefinity card - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5.

TrackIR works absolutely perfectly on all three monitors with high visuals. You do have to change a setting in FSX's config file and create an Eyefinity monitor "group". Not hard to do at all.

It might be better to sell your video card on ebay and buy a better Eyefinity card. It could be worth it as I'm getting fps around 60 to 70 on this old card with three 22" monitors. By the way, I've used it on just two monitors but the cockpit is centered on the monitor bezel junction.

Hope you see this, goodluck.