Motive Body and Oculus in Unity setup

supercourgette

Motive Body and Oculus in Unity setup

Post by supercourgette »

Hi,

I have an Optitrack system with Motive Body v1.10 and I'm using your recent Unity integration (v1.0.1) with an Oculus CV1 in Unity v5.5 I would like to:
  • Have my avatar (of a different appearance and size than the user) following the Optitrack Skeleton through the Skeleton Animator. This step is working, even if I believe my avatar's head follow the neck of the Optitrack Skeleton and not its head.
    Have the Oculus on the user's head, but positioned at the avatar's head position. This step is working IF I use the Unity Integration Plugin of Oculus and then decide to not use Oculus's tracking position AND to not use the Oculus as an "Optitrack rigidbody", but as a child of the avatar's head (or following the position / rotation of the avatar's head without being in the avatar's hierarchy).
    Have the Oculus following the rotation of the user's head. Here is tricky part, when my user turn a bit, the Oculus doesn't follow the rotation of the user's head in a realistic fashion, it's like there is some kind of offset or some kind of incorrect axis. It's hard to explain, since we are not sure from where could come from.
In any case, we have a 3D avatar following user's motions thanks to your skeleton animator, but then we don't how to setup the Oculus in order to have a realistic view of what the 3D avatar should see (again, the avatar has a different size than the user). Could you please provide us with some explanations or a sample Unity project?

Thanks in advance!
Shagan.Overman

Re: Motive Body and Oculus in Unity setup

Post by Shagan.Overman »

Hi,

We are aware of this issue but unfortunately its a fault of Mecanim's integration into Unity for realtime retargeting. The good news is they are working to fix this issue. Currently the only suitable workaround is to have the avatar be proportioned 1:1 to your performer or user.

http://wiki.optitrack.com/index.php?tit ... ity_Plugin
Note: At the time of writing, Mecanim does not support explicit goals for inverse kinematics end-effectors when using real-time retargeting. In addition, you may observe a difference in the overall scale of the position data between the retargeted skeletal animations and streamed rigid bodies. These two limitations may lead to inconsistencies with actors interacting with rigid body props, and will hopefully be addressed in a future version of the integration.

Another option is to use our Unreal plugin / Ikinema live action as seen in this demo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a32sHf7HxUM
-------
James Shagan Overman
Customer Experience Manager
shagan.overman@optitrack.com