The Void VR... DIY Solutions?

cmmurphy

The Void VR... DIY Solutions?

Post by cmmurphy »

If you've never seen The Void VRs stuff, its basically location based multiplayer VR Where there is a physical wall where the virtual wall is. Get it? I work for a university lab that is exploring doing this on the cheap and I have no idea where to start. We can create a back pack VR sytem with either the Vive or Oculus pretty easy, but how do you move beyond the limit of their tracking bounds? We have a 12 camera Optitrack mocap system but then you have the issue of circumventing the headsets built in tracking solution and do you wire all the cameras to the VR backpack??... UGH! I'm pretty new at this and I'm really lost. Does anyone have any ideas?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: The Void VR... DIY Solutions?

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi cmmurphy,

For location based VR, the motion capture cameras are run by a dedicated machine which acts as a server for the tracking data. This machine, running Motive, will stream to backpack PCs over wifi.

The backpack PCs will run a game engine such as Unity or Unreal, and utilize something like our OpenVR Driver to receive the tracking information. From there, the gameplay and interaction is up to the developer.

I hope this helps to briefly describe what the setup would consist of.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
cmmurphy

Post by cmmurphy »

Thankyou!This is very informative! So the machine running motive (server) uses NetNet to send the data correct? I'm assuming that this is how they facilitate multiplayer by using mocap to tell players where others are ansd what they are doing. just trying to wrap my head around this.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

My pleasure cmmurphy!

That is correct, the Motive machine acts as the server for the tracking data, which is sent through NatNet.

For multiplayer experiences, I believe there is usually a game server that also receives the tracking data and updates all clients. This is likely how the game determines where players are in relation to each other and how the game should react. You might want to take a quick look at this bit of documentation.
https://v21.wiki.optitrack.com/index.ph ... ayer_Setup

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

Thanks for the clear guide, I'm starting to dabble with VR and was stuck at the same place as cmmurphy... I'll apply your advice and will give feedback about the result.