Help build our games database!

Halstead York

Help build our games database!

Post by Halstead York »

Folks-
As I've mentioned on some of the other topics, we're creating a games and sims support database for the trackIR. The will include overviews of the games, settings information, downloads, and anything else you'd like to see.

Anyway, we want your help in creating it! let us know what you'd like to see, and let's also use this thread to list any specific information you might have (setup, settings, etc.). We'll cross-link to other forum topics as necessary.

[ October 27, 2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Halstead York ]
Georgio

Re: Help build our games database!

Post by Georgio »

Just to add to the excellent list above
- European Air War which works excellently with Track and is very smooth.
I tend to tone the settings down a tad from IL-2 though as EAW tends to be a bit more sensitive in the mouse department.

Jane's F-18.
This should work better than it actually does as it has mouse viewing built-in, the problem is that the mouse also actively switches things in the cockpit so you have to keep the mouse button pressed down to use.

Flanker 2.0/2.5
Again works right after installation, but as for European Air War on my rig the mouse settings need dumbing down as they're too twitchy. Good cockpit though.

FS 2002
Still the best viewing system due to that custom .DLL, boy are we in for a treat when the IL-2 one gets written.

[ October 28, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Georgio ]
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Hal,
Wouldn't the X and Y setting change slightly from person to person due to placement of the TrackIR? Of course they are good numbers to start with if they do change. I know mine is probably a closer than many people since it's sitting on the bottom framework of my fresnel lens.

X-Plane 5.66: The sim doesn't have a very robust cockpit view system but GX keymapping works in it so you can program the look left and right and foward and slightly down (Q,E,W,and S respectively) keys to keymapping and pan around

Falcon 4 SP3: Programing a HOTAS button to repeat right mouse clicks does allow panning in 2-d cockpit only, but it isn't very smooth and can flip switches inside the cockpit (potentially very bad, especial when you line up for a shot and move over the master arm switch and it clicks to safe!). As Hal knows, my opinion is keymapping would be much better! Rumor has it panning is possible with mouse in 3-d cockpit but I haven't been enlighted how to active it And of course we would still need keymapping for 2-d
Falcon 4 SP2 and below had the feature of allowing the right mouse button to be held and it would pan the 2-D but it seemed too fast to be of use with held mouse button and TrackIR. Repeat function should still work but again 3-D is out in the cold unless the 3-d mouse pan has been there longer than SP3.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Ok well ill chip in here first it looks like.

Games I have played using Track IR and work well

IL2 (Mouse view)
Gunship (Mouse View)
Strike Fighters P1 (Mouse View)
Operation Flashpoint (Mouse View)
Grand Prix Legends (Mouse View)
FS2002 (custom track Ir.dll)
Mig Ally (Mouse View)
BOB (Mouse View)
Aces High (Mouse View)

Ok first up IL2 well for me I use these settings

X & Y speed at 9 with 2x ticked
Smoothing is at 100 as it increases my FPS in IL2 a wee bit on my slow Duron 850, in IL2 in the mouse setting I have it at 1.5. I also have key activated & start at center enabled as i prefer to switch the Track IR on & off to recenter my view

Track IR works fantastic in Gunship but to do so you need to keep the L mouse button held down, but as I have TM Cougar i have made a wee bit of code that either holds the mouse button on or off, my settings for Gunship are

X & Y speed 12 x2 off
Smoothing at 120 (no FPS promblems)

Apart from haveing to hold in mouse button 2 for gunship track ir works great, for a future update to the natural pont softwear you may be able to include some way to set the mouse buttons in a hold mode for games that use mouse viewing this way.

Operation Flashpoint, well this is the only FPS shooter I think Track Ir could work with best as you can seperate the head from the body and then use your Track Ir unit to look L & R but you have trouble when you then lock the head back to the body to shoot as the Track IR unit continues to be in use and in all honesty its not that great at lineing up targets to shoot at and i still think the mouse rules, whats needed is some way to disable the track Ir use in OPFP when you couple the head back to the body, i tried using the key activated switch to turn the unit on & off but the key was disabled in the game as OPFP wanted to have full control of all the keyboard keys.

Grand Prix legends, well support for this has just come out from *JSJ* who wrote this program here
http://home.worldonline.dk/7471000/

It can only get better and makes this game more wounderfull than it allready is.

Mig Ally & BOB, both these games work with Track IR but you need to set the viewing system up for it as the default is to use a joystick HAT. You can find any info you need here http://www.f4alliance.com/ and go to the link called Track Ir corner for a profile that will work in both BOB & Mig Ally.

Strike Fighters & Aces High, well i used the same settings for both these sims as I used in IL2 and there wearnt any issues.

Hope that helps
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

I just started playing Gunship again and i really must say im very impressed with how well Track Ir works in this sim, i would go as far as to say that its even better than in IL2 & Strike Fighters as far as a mouse view game goes, the panning via Track Ir is very smooth
with these settings below

X & Y speed = 13 x2 = off
Smoothing = 100
Mode (default F8) is set too off

The only odity in this sim is you need to keep the L mouse button held down to keep the mouse view activated and if you let go it will not return to center and stays where you last let go of the mouse button, to return the view to center you need to hold the R mouse button down untill the view centers.

[ October 29, 2002, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Hotdognz ]
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for! Let's keep it coming, everyody.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Track Ir works really well in Jane's WWII Fighters-
I have both X and Y axis set to 14, Smooth set to 75.
Start at center

No special adjustments need be made beyond these- the game works as if it was designed for TrackIr.
If you program a joystick key to NumPad5, it will keep your view centered until the button is released- no need to pause the TrackIr as the button seems to automatically override the TrackIr.

[ October 30, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Murph ]
Georgio

Post by Georgio »

I've been messing around with Jane's F-18, which has a fantastic cockpit for mouse-panning.
The Track IR unit works just fine as long as you keep the right mouse button depressed.
All I have done is map the right mouse button to my Cougar and voila - press in the button and look around!
The only issues are with centering as the unit goes out of synch pretty quick, this sim is begging for a custom .DLL
Samuli

Post by Samuli »

I can add an old but goodie sim in the list:

Janes FA-15 (mouse view)

TIR works great in virtual cockpit mode (F4) when "FSP mouse view" has been selected in TIR panel.

My other settings are: X&Y speed 9, x2 on, smooth 100.