Installing trackIR in XPpro

simon661

Re: Installing trackIR in XPpro

Post by simon661 »

I doubt that hub will help you Barn. I have a similar hub and although it's USB1 it still has to go through a USB2 port on your mobo. It doesnt work with my TrackIR. The advice that were given by NP is to go out and by another USB card, but I've got 4 ports on my mobo which work perfectly well with all other USB devices that I own...except the TrackIR that is.! This machine is brand new, with a clean install of XP. Admitedly TrackIR wasnt the first thing I installed after XP setup, but I seriously doubt that a clean install will fix this problem. I may give it a try tho and put 98 on at the same time to see what that does. Ah well!

I you just want to get USB1 working then try disabling USB2 in your BIOS. I did. Still didnt work tho but would have the same effect as buying that USB1 hub.

What MAY work is this...I'm loathed to buy one but I may be forced to try it in the end.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=BF-510

[ December 24, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Simon Dickinson ]
simon661

Post by simon661 »

Well, a reinstall has fixed my problem with the TrackIR1. USB detected it this time round. It's wierd as the PC was freshly installed anyway. At least it's sorted now. Good luck to anyone else with this bizarre problem.
My "serious doubts" have come to nothing. The lesson here is to persevere!

[ December 28, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Simon Dickinson ]
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Im starting to see a common set of symptoms here in reading all these user comments....

A new install of WinXP works until they update from Home to Pro, or auto updates happen.(presumably get MS update patches)

With York stating that they "pushed" the USB spec, and with the fact that MB vendors may vary how close to the spec they cover, plus the USB2.0 drivers being added by MS or other MB vendors... it appears that there is a combination of factors that make the TIR not work.

Reinstalling and reformatting to get TIR to work (albiet temporarily) is not a viable solution. USB hubs and PCI cards seem not to cure it all the time also if they still use the MB USB2 subsystem.

Could it be that TIR USB pushed the edge of the spec to the point where it is a crap shoot for the customer PC systems? This does not sound like a good design strategy. Typically hardware and software designs leave a "pad" of safety to make it universally as compatible as possible.

I dont see how buying the TIR2 solves this problem. Now if NP is willing to trade in my TIR1 for the TIR2 as a workaround to try, Ill give that a shot.

AV8R
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

Still no solution, still no working trackir, all because I upgraded to XP PRO. NP suggested I buy a PCI card with a 1.o USB. Why should I incur the expense to make my TrackIR work as advertisd. Why should I have to do all of this work to make my TrackIR work as advertised. Why is NP claiming this is not an issue if there are so many similar complaints.

Why should I hve to hunt down other PC's to replicate the proble for NP. Is it not obvious that this is a real problem from reading the threads in this forum?

NP reminds me of the Public Affairs Minister in Iraq tht denied the existance of forces in his country, while on camera you could hear the bombs drop. NP if you are listening, this is a real problem that YOU need to provide a solution for. We are not techs, we should not have to play with BIOS, drivers and progrmming. We are not toubleshooters, we are customers that were told in writing on your package and on your web that this item is XP compatible. By law this is Home and PRO. You need to fix this now before this turns into a deceptive trade issue.
simon661

Post by simon661 »

I know that this is a real pain, but if you do a completely fresh install of XP pro thre theres a good chance TrackIR will work. I agree that more help from NP would be good, but you could try this. Upgrades from 1 OS to another are never 100% efficient in terms of trash left over etc anyway, so give your PC a good spring clean! It may fix ur problem!
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

I completely reformatted the drive and did clean install all the way to XP PRO...still no progress.
WTE_Flyingfox

Post by WTE_Flyingfox »

hi running win 2000 pro and getting same problem as others ie windows not reconizing track ir when plugged in [ the usb thingy ] can not even get the led light to come ? i don t think restalling will help will wait till someone comes up with fix
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

It looks like it's going to be a long wait, NP is in denial that there is a problem. Accoding to them it is an isolated problem. I've tried complete OS reinstall and blew $29 on a PCI USB 1.0 card that has not solved the problem.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Well, I'm quite depressed because my "USB device" error is back with vengeance with my TrackIR2 I've had my trackIR2 unplugged for awhile and installed 2 other USB devices (a Logitech stick and a X-Keys Matrix). I plugged in my TrackIR2 before I turned on my computer and when I booted into XP Pro there was the "usb device" error waiting for me

Not looking foward to reinstalling (again) Windows and it even sounds like it's not fixing it for everybody. I don't have the ezusbw2k.inf on my system so I'm going to try yto install 3.03 on my other system and then copy the .inf over. I already tried cleaning out the registry, it didn't work. Maybe I'll try a BIOS flash too.

EDIT:
The file ezusbw2k is a .PNF NOT an .inf. Windows will not use this file as a driver.
BIOS update and turning off USB 2.0 support is a no-go.

[ January 09, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]
Nightcargo

Post by Nightcargo »

I still have same problem as Snake and the other fellas. I went from a TrackIR1 to the IR2. No Change. This seems to be a WINXP problem. I spent over an hour with tech support and no fix!