not impressed so far

ikilby

not impressed so far

Post by ikilby »

I have today bought TrackIR and have installed it onto my winxp machine using the 2.11 drivers.

It has installed without a hitch.

However trying to use it is another matter.

I have spent at least 4 hours with the TrackIR panel trying to get it working properly.

Firstly I am about 2ft from the TrackIR camera and have tried from 1 dot on my forhead to 3 on a cap to 10 on a cap.

The Trackir will track and if i sit still it will lose me so I have to sit about 1ft from the camera.

It seems better there, but when I look at the movement tab, it is just so jerky and unreliable.

I have tried messing with the size, speed etc and it just is not smooth or reliable.

I even tried it with IL2 FB, and i couldn't barly get a stable centred on my cockpit, and when i moved my head, the screen has a fit...

Yes this was in enhanced mode and not mouse mode..

Please can anyone offer help.

Do I have to have my nose pressed against this camera, and is it really jerky and hard to move the view

XP3200 - watercooled
1Gb 400Mhz RAM
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2
120GB SATA Maxtor
Radeon Pro 9800
XP Pro srvce pack1
Reinhard

Re: not impressed so far

Post by Reinhard »

Hi ikilby!

That's what happened to everyone of us! It took me 3 weeks (!!!) to learn how it works. The manual, as most manuals, is a sh.... sorry. The software is not self-explanatory (hope you understand, as I'm German).

Noone explains what a dead-zone is nor did I have any idea, how to set the group edit points...the software just saves the settings here by simply udjusting the speed per point on the slider without pushing any save button. The manual doesn't tell you. It's a joke.

But once you got it, it is s u p e r b !
I fear you have to try a few days more and read all forum postings.

Best wishes for that!

Reinhard
tenmmike

Post by tenmmike »

relax ... i got mine today as well and im still working on it but what works well is this get your baseball hat get one of the nice black paper clips you can now easly put your circles there (cloverleaf) and the detecter seems very hapy with it now i just want a more intuitive set up display, but i have faith as i believe they sorta fell into this area (sims/games) by accedent and are doing their damndist to work issues out but thats me (il-2) i dont know fps issues, but i can see in about a 3-4 more days it will be heaven
tenmmike

Post by tenmmike »

i forgot to complement you on your system!
mire

Post by mire »

I installed and was able to use it instantaneously without any problems.
And TIR is very flexible in regard to distance and dot placement.

Have you checked that the IR transmitter is on? You can turn it off/on if you want to from the software interface (for active solutions you don't need the transmitter).
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

ikilby S!
I can understand your frustration, but the readme does contain all the info.
I see you live in the UK. It may be worth saying in which town and whether there is anyone in the same area successfully using TrackIR.
Once shown it is easy to master. I'm sure anyone nearby would pop round to help set it up.
Tip- Make sure the camera is the same eye level as you. Having the camera lower but pointing up at your face is not good enough.
You need it level. About 3-4 ft in front of you.
On top of the monitor, normally.
Best of luck
BPO6_GoldenWing

Post by BPO6_GoldenWing »

~S! ikilby,

I think most everyone experienced what you're going through...if they're honest!!

HotDognz has posted what I think is a very helpful "how-to-do-it" for IL2FB. It would probably apply to any game that has the TrackIR .dll file, I would think. HotDognz's instructions helped me over the hurdles.

Look here:

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 8;t=000073

~S! Gold
Toad465

Post by Toad465 »

Hey look at this and just set it up as per instructions and you will be satisfied fully.

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_ ... s&id=zwqtg

[ September 03, 2003, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: T_O_A_D ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I think the TIR is actually alot easier to get used to now that enhanced mode is out there.

I took me a few weeks to get used to it with mouse mode. It was horrid.

But with enhanced, you should get the hang of it in a few days if you have it setup right.
ALDEGA

Post by ALDEGA »

Last edited by ALDEGA on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.