My problems with TIR3 Pro

TheViper

My problems with TIR3 Pro

Post by TheViper »

Problems I�m having with the TrackIR3 Pro

Background � new TrackIR (never used one before) using the v3.12 software from the CD, not the new v4; Falcon 4.0 + SP4.2 + BMS2.0 new install. HOTAS Cougar controllers.

If I highlight Enabled 3D Cockpit TrackIR (F4 Setup/Controllers/Advanced), then in-game, I see a small target-shaped cursor moving in Mouse mode. In Enhanced TrackIR mode I get a blue TrackIR light but nothing happens with head movement.
If I highlight both 3D and 2D, I get a CTD on game start-up.
If I highlight only 2D Cockpit TrackIR, then in-game, in Enhanced mode, I get a blue light on the TrackIR unit, and I do get to look around, but it�s not smooth at all. Instead, it jumps to certain set camera views, about 4 or so in each horizontal direction. In vertical there are maybe 4 or 5 fixed views above the horizontal plane, and two below (two cockpit views straight down). I can look in all axes, not just x and y, but of course the view changes are the same � instantaneous jumps to just a few static views, not a smooth panning of the view. The view changes also seem to lag quite a bit behind my head movements.

Also, I thought in Enhanced mode you should see your view return to center simply by moving your head back to center. That�s not how it�s working for me. After looking to the side, just moving my head back to center position does not return my view to center. The view stays the same (looking off to the side or even mostly aft) unless I actually rotate my head 5 or 10 degrees across center to the other direction, then if I do it just right the view will herky-jerk back to center � but it�s easy to overshoot and now your view has snapped to the other side.

I have see TrackIR films from Falcon4 that show smooth natural movement, so I think that�s how it is supposed to work. Can anyone tell me:
1. Why does my view not pan smoothly and normally?
2. Why does my view not return to center when my head does while in Enhanced TrackIR mode?
3. Isn�t this supposed to work in 3D Cockpit mode as well as in 2D? If so, any idea why mine does not?
4. Should the view change immediately with head movement, or is the lag (maybe a half-second but enough to be very annoying) normal and something you have to get accustomed to?
Barred

Re: My problems with TIR3 Pro

Post by Barred »

Is the TIR and Cougar going into the same USB port in the PC (not HUB)?

If so try them on seperate USB Ports.
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

Ah. They're both going into a hub. I'll try the TIR directly into the computer (I don't have enough darned USB ports on my comp!).
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

Well, that didn't help. I shut everything down and plugged the TIR into one of the computer USB ports, then rebooted. For some reason the computer saw the TIR as new hardware and wanted to install the software. I let it do that. Now the problem seems worse. It clicks to different views almost at random when in-game in Falcon4 FF3. Still no smooth motion, just clicks to different set views, and now I can't control that at all.

Do I need to load a profile for Falcon 4? Falcon 4 is listed under "select a game" under the Profiles tab, but it is not in the list of profiles.

[ December 31, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: TheViper ]
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

Help on these questions (I added a couple)? Thanks!

I have see TrackIR films from Falcon4 that show smooth natural movement, so I think that�s how it is supposed to work. Can anyone tell me:
1. Why does my view not pan smoothly and normally?
2. Why does my view not return to center when my head does while in Enhanced TrackIR mode?
3. Why does my designated "center" button not work in-game (nothing happens in either mouse mode or enhanced mode when I hit the center button, although it works just fine on the test screen)?
4. Isn�t this supposed to work in 3D Cockpit mode as well as in 2D? If so, any idea why mine does not?
5. Should the view change immediately with head movement, or is the lag (maybe a half-second but enough to be very annoying) normal and something you have to get accustomed to?
6. Am I supposed to load a profile for Falcon4? If so, where does one get one?

[ January 04, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: TheViper ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

As to your questions about Falcon I am not sure (it has been years since I ran it.)
I take it that you are running one of the 3.xxx drivers, unless one of the mods has added native mode. If you are running in mouse emulation mode then I found the tracking was not as smooth but not as bad as you are desctibing.

Then you changed the USB for the TIR you would get the "New Hardware Found" come up that is normal. It sounds as if the driver meght e searching for the old USB position as well as your actual position. I would try the following.

Unplug the TIR
remove the driver from Add/Remove programs and look for TrackIR.
Re-boot your system.
Delete the NP/TIR directiry.
Reboot.
Install the driver.
Plug in the Sensor when asked.

I know there is a bit of re-booting in there but it is the bestway to make sure it has been totally removed.

Are you using the latest drivers for your sound. graphics and chipset drivers? I know it sounds dumb and not related, but drivers can interfere with each other

With the info that I have I would look innto this as well.

What is the components that are in your pc?
Are all your drivers uptodate?
How much is running on the USB and any other hardware that draws power from your PC?
What is the power output from your PSU?(you might have too many none powered bits and bobs connected for your PSU)

Is the TIR about 30-36 inches and about2 inches above your head?
Are the dot/dots centred in the tracking window?
Does it track OK in windows?

Apart from that Viper I am stummped.

[ January 06, 2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

I might have found my problem. I was under the mistaken impression that Falcon4.0 patched up with SP4.2, BMS2.0 and SP4.2 BMS data patch required the 3.xx driver series. I have found that to be an error -- I need the 4.xx series.

I'll let you know if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks!

[ January 16, 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: TheViper ]
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

OK, the new driver didn't do it. I also inserted "set g_bEnableTrackIR 1" in the falconsp.cfg file per the suggestion in Falcon tips and tricks for those using BMS.exe. Your previous questions answered:

I take it that you are running one of the 3.xxx drivers, unless one of the mods has added native mode.

I'm using the 4.0.021 driver now. I uninstalled the 3.13 using the Install/Uninstall program. Rebooted. Deleted Natural Point directory and also cleaned out Natural Point files from the registry. Rebooted. Installed 4.0.021. Rebooted. Plugged in TrackIR. It searched and found the new driver. Rebooted.

Are you using the latest drivers for your sound. graphics and chipset drivers? I know it sounds dumb and not related, but drivers can interfere with each other

I have new drivers for sound and graphics. I don't know how to update my chipset drivers -- that one makes me nervous. So, no, that one is not updated, it's the one that was on the disc that came with the mb.

What is the components that are in your pc?

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 (supposed to be 2.66 but won't run at that speed for some reason)
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4T533-C REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz (it's supposed to run at 133 but won't for some reason)
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4T533-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1010 02/27/2003
1.024 Gig RAM
120.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
63.34 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Creative SB Live! Sound Card, just updated the driver from the Creative site
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 using 66.93 driver (most recent driver from NVIDIA site)
NEC FE2111SB [Monitor] (19.7"vis, s/n 210306550, October 2002)
HOTAS Cougar

How much is running on the USB and any other hardware that draws power from your PC?

On USB: Cougar. Logitech speakers. That's it.

What is the power output from your PSU?(you might have too many none powered bits and bobs connected for your PSU)

450w Enermax

Is the TIR about 30-36 inches and about2 inches above your head?

26 inches away, 2 inches above head.

Are the dot/dots centred in the tracking window?

Yes

Does it track OK in windows?

Yes

I should add that the blue light on the TrackIR unit does come on when start up Falcon. So, in-game, I have a green light on top, blue glow on the bottom. No joy. Somewhere, somehow I must be doing something wrong. Do you have any other ideas? I really doubt it's the chipset driver, but do you think I need to update that? I'd prefer not to mess with that if it's not a high probability of being the problem -- bios stuff makes me nervous -- I'm not much of a techie.

[ January 17, 2005, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: TheViper ]
Oz_Cougar

Post by Oz_Cougar »

Greetings ,

First off .... delete your falconsp.cfg file in the root directory of your BMS install. This little piece of advice comes from the BMS group so I would tend to believe it .... "Only have 1 .cfg file as having 2 can cause problems". In a BMS (and FF for that matter) install the cfg file in use should be FalconBMS.cfg .... delete any others and try putting the TrackIR line in there if it's not already in there.

Cheers
TheViper

Post by TheViper »

Thanks OC. I had high hopes deleting falconsp.cfg would be the trick, but...nope. That didn't work either.

The falconbms.cfg does have the "set g_bEnableTrackIR 1" line in it.

And the falconbms.cfg is now the only .cfg file there.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

[ January 17, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: TheViper ]