USB Mouse + Track IR = No Go :(

Valleyboy

USB Mouse + Track IR = No Go :(

Post by Valleyboy »

I've had my Track IR for quite some time now, and have moved to Windows XP, and the newer software for Track IR... somewhere along the line, my Mouse and Track IR have had a disagreement....... I have a Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel, and is a USB connection, but it has a USB to PS/2 connector with it...
When using the Trackman as USB, and using Track IR.. I loose all control of my mouse, Track IR will work, but the mouse no longer responds, no matter what mode Track IR is put into, the mouse will no longer respond when the Track IR software is running....

To get my mouse to work again, I have to unplug Track IR, and only then will my mouse work again....

For the time being, I am using the PS/2 connector, but I would rather use it as it is meant to be, through its USB connector.

I know there could be several factors involved here, from my USB hub, USB drivers, Logitech Drivers, and the Track IR drivers...

Has anyone had simular problems... or have any advice???

Cheers

Charlie251

Re: USB Mouse + Track IR = No Go :(

Post by Charlie251 »

I don't know anything about that mouse or the drivers. I can think of a few things it may be....

1. If the mouse is a high powered USB device, then it may not work with TrackIR. I've seen cases of TrackIR not working when other high powered usb devices were plugged in, like a scanner. Waiting on a reply from the dev team on that one.

2. Where are they located? If the mouse is an IR device, maybe the IR from the TIR system is interfereing. Just a though.
Revvin

Post by Revvin »

I had similar problems with mine when I first bought it a while ago. Although I was using a Belkin powered 8 port USB hub the TrackIR did'nt work properly until I unplugged it from the hub and straight into the back of my PC, when it was plugged into the hub it would be erratic, working one minute then not and would occasionally freeze my system. I have a Logitech cordless MX700 mouse, a HOTAS Cougar, CH USB pedals and a digital camera plugged into the hub so I guess it was either not getting the juice it needed or perhaps a bandwidth problem on the hub when using all the devices near enough at the same time?

[ September 01, 2003, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Revvin ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Your best bet is going to be experimenting. Try plugging the TrackIR directly into a USB port on the computer and plugging the mouse into the hub.

If it still fails, try plugging the Mouse and TIR into the computer and everything else on the hub. (If you have enough USB on the PC)

Maybe even try spending $20 on a PCI USB card and plugging the TrackIR into it.

There are a few different ways to try. See if you can find a combo that will work. If you have tried every combo you can think of, then it may be looked at as a driver conflict.
Valleyboy

Post by Valleyboy »

Well, Im using a Belkin 8 Port mains powered hub, plugged into it, are:

Belkin USB Keyboard,
Lexmark Z52 Printer,
Thrustmaster Cougar,
Track IR.

As said above, the Mouse is now plugged into the PS/2 port.., and it works at the moment without any problems at all...

The symptoms would be, as soon as the Naturalpoint software is started, the mouse would cut out... the cursor could be moved using Track IR, but would not respond to mouse inputs.. the only way I could get the mouse back would be by unplugging the Track IR...

Anyway, its not a major emergency any more, as its fine running as-is, it would be nice to get my USB part of the mouse back up and running though!

Cheers!

Valleyboy

Post by Valleyboy »

Time to get a USB 2.0 hub???
Would that make things any better?
the motherboard is USB 2.0 anyway, so there shouldn't be any problems there...

Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

The trackIR pushes the USB1.1 spec pretty hard, which makes it quite unforgiving with many USB hubs (even powered ones). We work fine with USB components that meet the spec, but sadly, most hubs don't, including many of Belikn's.