weird sounds from the MOBO

Sunburzt

weird sounds from the MOBO

Post by Sunburzt »

when i connect the TrackIR to my USB port and start the software (ver 4.0.21) my motherboards starts to make some Hi frequnecy noise! when i close the program the noise stops,checked my motherboard and there is no cables or hardware that could cause interference.
all my other usb hardware work perfectly!

very strange and annoying!
Barred

Re: weird sounds from the MOBO

Post by Barred »

Sunburzt, what is the output of you Power Supply Unit?

Not enough power can mage electronics whine, especially when on the edge of not working.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I've heard capasitors making hi-freq noises.
Check your motherboard for any capacitors that might be round at the top instead of flat.
Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt »

Thank you for your reply
Mu PSU is 400 W,and the noise is still there even when i disconnect other USB hardware.

My MOBO is a Asus A7N Deluxe.

stian.

[ February 13, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Sunburzt ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

One thing you could try (it might sound daft) is put your ear to the case and try and localize the area where the sound is comming from, it is easier withthe case sides still on.

Once you have located the area open the case and try to localize the area again. Then when you have the area cornerd down drop a mail to the manufactures tech support.

Good Luck
Sulky

Post by Sulky »

If you're going to try tracing the sound I'd recomend a stethoscope. Either doctors or mechanics, mechs is best as it has a solid probe and is designed to locate position.
Next best idea is to improvise with a solid object, like a long screwdriver. A carbureter tuning driver is ideal.
Sulk'
Barred

Post by Barred »

A stethescope is best if you have one. You could try a rolled up piece of paper.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Sunburzt,

Now this is a strange one.

Can you tell me if this happens on all of your USB ports? The reason why I ask is that some ports are connected via ribbons, and if they are incorrectly routed they can cause electrical interference.

If you are comfortable in doing so remove your side cover to your case and see if you can localize where the sound is coming from.

Turn down your speakers to see if the sound changes. If you suspect it may be in the sound system, especially if using onboard sound go into the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and turn down the sound acceleration to see if the sound remains.

Ensure that you do not have a microphone that is running.
Let me know how you get on with the above.
Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt »

thank you all for helping my out with this!

i tried connecting it to all my avaiable USB ports and the problem remians.It's not a soundcard issue,the sound comes directly form my motherboard not thru my speakers...very strange.But i try to disabled my onboard soundcard (which i don't use by the way)

Probable my motherbord who F*** it up

sorry for my bad english.

Regrads
Stian.

[ February 15, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Sunburzt ]
Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt »

and by the way...the sound goes away when my Cpu is working on other windows tasks.
like when i run FS2004 and my cpu load is about 90-100 % the sound disappear.

Stian