TIR to TIR3Pro: centering question

GregP

TIR to TIR3Pro: centering question

Post by GregP »

Hi,

I recently upgraded from an original TrackIR to a TrackIR3 Pro. In re-tweaking my profiles, I noticed that the centering response is not as precise as it was with the TrackIR - when I hit my center key, the view just moves a little bit towards a region around the true center, with a decelerating pan speed. With the TIR, hitting center would instantaneously snap to the true, exact center every time. Is there any way to do this with TIR3Pro?

Also, I've noticed that when I pan around and then come back toward the center, again my view gets kind of close to center, but then if I keep my head centered, the view slowly drifts toward true center, rather than just going there immediately at first.

I'm using the Combat Flight profile in LockOn 1.1 for this; I've tried fiddling with the yaw profile (creating a center deadzone, bumping the whole profile up 2 points, making the center region more responsive, etc.) but nothing is getting the crispness of centering movement that I had with the original TrackIR. Can anybody suggest a solution?

Re: TIR to TIR3Pro: centering question

Post by 12345 »

I have this to - very slow to centre and F12 does not centre it prpoerly to. Looks like noone wants to give u an answer.
GregP

Post by GregP »

I even reinstalled the earliest software for my TrackIR, wrote down the settings I had used in my profiles, then recreated the profiles in the new software and it just doesn't behave the same as the old TrackIR.

And it's not just Lock On, I see this in IL-2 also. This is a big step back from the TrackIR, frankly, and all I can think is that not many people are experiencing it, otherwise I assume they'd be asking questions too.

This is really frustrating, basically makes the resolution improvement with TIR3Pro a waste for me. I don't want to go back to TIR but if I can't solve this I'd prefer the old one.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

GregP,

This really is strange. I have not had this issue reported to me before.
I will need to take a look at this on my game system.
Do you have all the patches applied to Lo-Mac?
GregP

Post by GregP »

Hi Wayne,

Yes, I'm using a clean retail CD version of Lock On with the 1.1 Flaming Cliffs addon installed on top of it. But like I said, I'm seeing the same thing in IL-2: PF, whereas with my TrackIR I had no problems in either game.

I've also tried fiddling with the spot size; with my TrackIR I had clustered a bunch of dots at the end of my headset mic, giving a spot size of almost 300. Even when I change to a single new, bigger dot included with the TIR3 package, giving a spot size of 100, the behavior is exactly the same.

I'm using Beta 4.0.024, maybe I ought to try an older version? Looks like the Beta 4.0.024 is the same as the now-official 4.0.024, based on the file dates.

I'm just not getting the crisp snap back to center that I used to get when pressing the 'center' key, particularly when my view is already near the center. And the slow drift near center is very strange too.
bflagg

Post by bflagg »

Hi Wayne.
This happens to me also...

It DOES snap back to center , when I take off enhanced mode...

Saitek X45 is AUX switch is used for both centering and enhanced mode... (directX button mapping)
GregP

Post by GregP »

See, I don't get how you turned off enhanced mode ... Lock On 1.1 recognizes TrackIR and doesn't that make it default to enhanced mode? I didn't think simple mouse emulation mode was even available anymore in games that recognize TrackIR3.
GregP

Post by GregP »

IT'S THE VERSION 4 SOFTWARE!

I just uninstalled 4.0.024, installed 3.13, and I've once again got my crisp centering response. Tried installing 4.0.022 next - again the centering problem. Luckily you can have versions 3 and 4 installed simultaneously with no problems, so I'll keep hoping that a fix for version 4 pops up.

In the meantime it's back to version 3 for me. I just hope I'm not missing any features of the TrackIR3 Pro by using version 3 (I don't have VE so that's not an issue).
Dirk98

Post by Dirk98 »

GregP, thanks for all your messages in this thread, I can confirm the same problem and behaviour of my TrackIR with 4.0.024 in Falcon4 and Condor. Haven't flown long enough to confirm it in Flaming Cliffs yet.

The way it behaves in F4 and Condor is degrading of centering capability over some period of time - I noticed after 15-20 minutes.

The only reason why I want to have a dual Naturalpoint Install (3.13 and 4.0.024) is only because Condor works only with 4.0.0.24 software. But since it does really have a problem with recentering (F12) anyways, I don't really know if I need 4.0.024 at all.

Very sad, Naturalpoint.

[ May 02, 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Dirk98 ]
GregP

Post by GregP »

Glad to be of help, Dirk98.

I can also confirm that the centering problem is still there in 4.0.024b dated April 26. Tried it last night with Flaming Cliffs and there's no change.