I Pray I Didn't Make a Mistake

xrayspex

I Pray I Didn't Make a Mistake

Post by xrayspex »

I saw some Track IR Pro videos using the Vector Expansion hat, caved in and bought both. My aren't we motivated by what we see! Then I came to the forum and the world of doubt has krept in....now I think I have made a mistake buying it and it will be here on Monday (GULP). Driver issues galore...green screens...tweaking nightmares...LIONS & TIGERS & BEARS OH MY!. Ok so I'm gettin' a little carried away but look at it from my point of view. If you read some of these nightmare posts on a product would you buy it? Some of the issues look a tad old and still unresolved. From now on if I consider buying a product I have learned from this experience....nevermind the promotional videos...go to the products support forum straight away...you'll get all the goods ya' need there!!!!! See ya Monday!
Barred

Re: I Pray I Didn't Make a Mistake

Post by Barred »

xrayspex welcome, I really would not let this forum put you off. There are thousands of users world wide and apart from a few of us most people who have troubles come here.

Once TIR is set up it really can make a big difference to the immersion in games that support it.

When it arrives I would not install the driver from the CD, just use the latest on the downloads section on the main web site.

Have the camera about 2" above your eyeline and about 20-26" between the dot and camera.

Adjust the camera so that the dot is in the centre of the tracking window.

I would use the 'dead zone' and to get to that open up the profile that you want to use.
Select the edit button at the bottom.
In the top right there is an option to select the type of curve that you want to use here you select 'Dead Zone'.
Now copy that to all axis (on the bottom left.)

OK all the windows and you now have a dead zone on both axis that the TIR will implement. To get the full 5DoF where you can rock your head, sit up/down, or move in/out then you will need the Vector. Even if the game does not suppirt the full 6DoF the vector will improve the tracking as the camera still uses it for tracking but just the 2 axis are used by the game.

I have had a TIR since version 1 and apart from one camera dying which was dealt with instantly by NP I could not run a sim with out it now.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Barred has you covered.

If you have any questions regarding the device in any manner feel free to e-mail me at rick@naturalpoint.com as well and I can assist you!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I just wanted to jump in here. I can see you point about the forums, looking like we have some problems, but that is exactly what these forums are for, problems. We don't try and hide anything from our customers or potential customers, a rarity if you ask me. We do try and be responsive and get things resolved as best as possible. At least people can bug us in public, then we will get it done!
xrayspex

Post by xrayspex »

Well thanks for the reassurance people. Right now I am still "WAITING" so much for paying for overnite shipping I have installed the very latest of drivers (TrackIR_4.1.026.Final.exe) VIA site download on my machine already and will steer clear of the ones on the CD. I never use CD drivers for any hardware when I get it really "cause they are always old. Do I need to install driver(s) for the vector expansion as well or would you like me to start a thread in that particular forum for that question?
rodom

Post by rodom »

There is no extra software for the vector expansion. All you do is either register via our website or click the activate button within the TrackIR software.
ReFleX

Post by ReFleX »

I thought the same thing when I first read these forumns.. or some of it anyhow..

But, now that I got mine working and tweaked the way I like it.. I can't ever imagine how I could have flown a flightsim without it..
xrayspex

Post by xrayspex »

Yea...I'm actually beginning to go thru that now. Now that it is tweaked
pepper

Post by pepper »

Dont worry, we went all through it
Polo

Post by Polo »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Jim:
Hello:

I just wanted to jump in here. I can see you point about the forums, looking like we have some problems, but that is exactly what these forums are for, problems. We don't try and hide anything from our customers or potential customers, a rarity if you ask me. We do try and be responsive and get things resolved as best as possible. At least people can bug us in public, then we will get it done! Jim, in my experience:

1) I don't know if it looks like you have problems. Some of us have problems. My case is with that green screen.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 4;t=000180

First report of that kind of problem I know of was October, 2004 and can be found in this forum.

2) You say you are not hidding anything, but I can't understand why I found no answers to my problems in the forums. I emailed you for support 10 days ago. I was given instructions (that can't be found in the forums). That instructions didn't help and, since two days, I am waiting anything else, but no response to the emails sent

3) Maybe I am being treated as a rarity, but IMHO there are enough cases of this issue, and old enough, to say that. Maybe the customers, and potential customers, should know about this "rarities", just in case their trackir become one of them.

4) Maybe I can not judge your overall support based only on my experience, but my experience is: not responsive and not best as possible

5) I agree with you I can bug you in public. Will you then get it done? I don't like this way (that's the reason I sent directly an email instead of posting in the forums) but...

Sorry for my criticism, but when I read your words and compare with what I am seeing, I couldn't agree less.

Sorry also because I am a customer since your first trackir 1, I think you did a VERY good work, the product is really good. Don't know why would you let the image of trackir and Naturalpoint be harmed by this issue, that's up to you.

Living overseas I have not too much hope of having my unit troubleshooted/repaired/changed, so I will only ask you two questions:

Is this a problem of some defective units in the market?

How it's being this problem being solved?

Thank you for you time and attention.

Jose L. Leal "Polo"
SimuSpain

[ September 10, 2005, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Polo ]