IL2 FB frame lrate loss

sparro

IL2 FB frame lrate loss

Post by sparro »

Hi guys... does any one else find that their frame rate drops by half when using track IR.... strange thing is also, track IR seems to start alot of packet loss and errors whilst running.

Turn it off... no problems. got a feeling that I need to swap USB ports till I find one that likes the track IR... still looking into it.

cheers
John Banks

Re: IL2 FB frame lrate loss

Post by John Banks »

Weird, the TrackIR shouldn't cause any fps problems. Maybe when you turn the view. I noticed that when you look to the left or right and there is plenty terrain, the fps will drop a bit due to the terrain details which aren't that high while looking o the front of the cockpit. But that's not TrackIR related. USB joysticks don't cause any fps problems either, so why should the TrackIR?
Maybe it's your USB port or your mobo drivers aren't the best? How many Watts does your PSU have?
sparro

Post by sparro »

yes it is strange. PSU is I think 300w (will need to check). Lent TarckIR to a friend to test with MFS2004, when I came back from holidays, I plugged back in TrackIR (I doubt back into the same usb) and frame rate problems started.

I thought it might be my internet connection as ping tests to the provider where showing upto 20% packet loss.

Also communications such as Teamspeak became broken and garbled...

Plus frame rates (fps START SHOW) in IL2 FB became poor. So my "squad mates" started me doing test... DL new video drives etc even DL the latest TrackIR drivers.

Came to the fact that whilst trackIR ran:
1. ingame frame rates would drop from 30 to 10
2. I started to get alot of errors when receiving packets
3. coms become broken
4. even moving the mouse to navigate would be slow

All I can think of is that it is because of where I've replugged in track IR...

weird... trackIR has been fine
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I've noticed this as well in Il-2 Forgoten Battles. It seems to be intermintent though. Haven't had it happen, at least noticably, in a while, but it happened again tonight.

My normal 65 to 80 FPS would drop down to 40-45. Switch off the TrackIr and up would go the fps back to norm. Switch Track Ir back on and down they'd go. I could do this through out the mission, on command, watching the fps meter go up and down just by switching track Ir on and off.

I'm going to reboot and try and see if I can do it again.

System:

Track Ir v2.12

Op Sys: Windows XP Pro

Video: Asus V9950 Ultra 256mb, w/ 52.16 drivers. Resolution: 1280x960, 32 bit, 85 Hertz refresh rate.

MB: A7N8X Delux NForce2 chipset (latest drivers) w/ XP2600, 1024 mb Corsair XMS DDR 400 PC3200
sparro

Post by sparro »

hmmmm got it back working... like you said J it seems intermintent. Though I did this time start TR up this time making sure it was connected to a USB 1 port and not a USB 2 port.

and track IR Enhanced mode works best... got it as start up mode... see how it goes
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Tried it again after the reboot. Worked fine. FPS was running 79 to 85 and turning TIR on and off made no changes.

Was it the reboot? Was it FB? Or, was it TIR?

One thing I did notice. With FB, which has some known "sound engine" problems, you must keep your "Hardware acceleration" at "Basic" (one knotch up from none) and Sample Rate at "Good".

For some unknown reason, mine had changed itself back to "Full" and "Best". (I noticed the change after the reboot and before testing FB.)

On my machine, "Full" and "Best" causes trouble with FB. So before going into a mission to check the above mentioned fps hits, I set the performance back to Basic and Good. Game play was great, just as before and there was no FPS hit switching TRI on and off.

So whats up here? Since FB has a sound problem, and TIR was acting funky when the audio performance setting had changed, does this narrow things down?

Could TRI itself just be taking a performance hit because of FB's sound problems when the audio properties are set wrong? That would be my first quess.

If they're not already, change your Audio Properties, Performance settings and see.

For Win XP: START, SETTINGS,CONTROL PANEL,SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES.

For Win 98: START, SETTINGS,CONTROL PANEL,MULTIMEDIA.

For me, the question becomes, How did my audio setting change? I know they were set properly, as I check them on a regular basis.

I have a feeling that one of the programs I use in my weekly "PC cleaning" is the culprit. Maybe "System Mechanic, or "RegCleaner" They may inadvertently be defaulting my Audio Properties settings.

Of coarse this all may be baloney too, and the intermitent TRI problem may be caused by something entirely different.

If I get the fps performance hit again, I'll check for other things that might be causing it.
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

So much for the Audio Properties idea. They were set as they should be, and the fps loss was back.

Turn TIR off up they go. Turn it on, down they go.

I'm going to uninstall the 2.12 beta's and go back to the previous. I don't recall having the same problem with those.

I'll update later.
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Reinstalled the 2.11 and have had no problem yet.

Call me crazy though, because the overall frame rates seem to be a little bit slower with the 2.11 than with the 2.12 beta.