Will it give trackir to Red Baron?

Cas141

Re: Will it give trackir to Red Baron?

Post by Cas141 »

quote:Originally posted by Slice:
Watch out for the incoming tumbleweed Eh?
Slice

Post by Slice »

You haven't heard that before ?

Tumbleweeds in the desert.. usually accompanied by the sounds of howling wind, swirling dust and nothing else. Emptiness, loneliness, desolation you get the idea

[ February 01, 2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Slice ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Ahoy guys,
I believe wayne is still investigating it.
It has been a busy couple of weeks here recently.

I wanted to chime in and say i enjoyed your videos, slice.
would you mind if i posted one on our videos page? (happy to host it from our site). (and if you're cool with that, please let me know what name you'd want associated with it, and any other info)

thanks!
Slice

Post by Slice »

Hi Warren,

If Wayne is still investigating Red Baron 3D support that's great - thanks for that, we appreciate you are busy guys -
we RB nuts are grateful for any help and TrackIR support would be amazing

Re the movies sure use what you like, if you could credit me as Polovski, and put a link to the website that would be would be excellent thanks. I don't mind if you host or link or both I can manage some bandwidth I think.

Cheers

[ February 02, 2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Slice ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

quote: Tumbleweeds in the desert.. Usually accompanied by the sounds of howling wind, swirling dust and nothing else. Emptiness, loneliness, and desolation you get the idea
Sarcasm will get you nowhere.
Joking aside... I have been able to contact a number of guys on RB who have been very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

You guys asked me for Star Wars, Aces High, WWIIOL, CFS3, F1C, BoB, to name but a few, and you got them.

If the request is high enough, then I will do everthing that I can to get us and you guys into that game, well almost.

When I can say something more I will, just dont take the CD out of your drive.
Eilif

Post by Eilif »

I just started playing RB3D, very impressive game! I play richthofens skies as well and enjoy them both dearly, Rs is still in its growth spirt and Red Baron has reached an almost mythic stature in the ww1 sim comunity, Track ir with this game, in what ever level of support would be amazing! It has a pan view already so i know it can happen graphicly, and i have the upmost faith that the track ir team Can make it happen technicaly <S> heres to hoping time is on our side.
Trouble4u

Post by Trouble4u »

I will buy it right now if it will work on 3D. Oh heck I'm planning on getting it any how for PF.

von Baur

Post by von Baur »

First, let me introduce myself to those who may not know me from other forums (probably most of you).

Most of the time I spend on my home computer is devoted, in some way, to flight simulators. Most of that time is devoted to WWI sims. Until I downloaded Target Ware and Richtofen's Skies (and I'm on dialup, so it was not something done on a whim ) this past fall, Red Baron was the only WWI sim I had. I still enjoy Red Baron, particularly its dynamic campaign, and especially with the enhancements created by others who love the game.

Shortly after I got a computer in 1999, I realized that a combination of something like Track IR and a head-mounted display system would make for the ultimate gaming experience. Unfortunately the price tag ($1200+ for anything decent) of a head-mounted display is going to keep that part of the dream a dream for quite some time. But I've already told my wife that when we get our income tax refund in I'm buying a Track IR 3 Pro unit and once I upgrade to XP I'll be adding the Vector expansion. (Then she told me that it was alright, and I came out from behind the couch ) So I'm very interested in seeing Track IR work on Red Baron. I'm just not sure it will.

My skepticism comes from the fact that in most games today, the player's plane (or car, if it's a driving game) is a three-dimensional object within the game from which the player's point of view is derived. The control column or steering wheel, the instrument panel, the framework holding any windscreens, etc are likewise real (ok, virtual) 3D objects. This is not the case with Red Baron. The instrument panel and guns, the wings, the empenage are all just two-dimensional flats, to borrow a term from the theater. They're facades, much like the hologram of the scientist in "I, Robot". And since the cockpit doesn't wrap around the pilot's position in the virtual space of the game, how can Track IR allow for changing the player's pov relative to these things? And how would Vector let me lean out over the side of a cockpit or shift my position to look around a strut that doesn't exist, that's just a simulation within a simulation? And from what I can gather, that's embedded in some mystical 'source code' that I've read about, which the owners of RB have, so far, been adamantly reluctant to share with anyone.

OK, I'll admit that I'm not as smart as you guys. After all, I only had a crazy idea about a concept...you folks made it a reality. And if you can tell me that you've already addressed and resolved the issue, great, I'll take your word for it. That means I'll be able to use my new toy on my oldest, and still favorite game, too (please don't throw me in that briar patch). No need to go into details, I wouldn't understand 'em anyway, most likely .

Thanx for listening. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade, here. It just doesn't seem like the systems are compatible with each other. I hope I'm wrong.
Eilif

Post by Eilif »

there is no way were getting 6dof vector support, but as i said on a previouse thread at http://www.wings-of-valor.net/ in open forum,{natural point might want to talk to the rb community here since it seems to be the most developed rb comunity site} if we can get mouse look to work we are home free, from what i understand and have expirienced it will emulate the mouse in any game, tho it wont be enhanced, so it will probably need alot of recentering. getting acces to the coad to do mouse emulation seems to be the big deal, hopefully they will make at least a temporary exception to natural point.
Up-N-at'em

Post by Up-N-at'em »

I'd like to add my vote for Track IR for Red Baron3d. I bought a Track IR 1 when they came out, but actually it's collecting dust. I found it just too much trouble to get working right. Tried various profiles etc for IL2 FB but it was just too tricky to use effectively & have fun.
i've followed the developments & have reconsidered getting a new Track IR 3 but am still on the fence. ( Can you here the wife: You bought another one! you don't use the first one you bought!)
Red Baron is a game where the viewing system is less than ideal IMHO, & would benefit more than most from Track IR support.

Good luck with this!