vector exp. - finally working in FS2004 ...

gsgalaxy

vector exp. - finally working in FS2004 ...

Post by gsgalaxy »

First, after recieving the vector expansion, had it activated and wanted to try the new 6DOF mode in FS2004 and i had weird movement behaviors, but nothing in control, i wanted to ask for help here in the forum.
Like my move to the left didn't transform into a big turn of my head in-game, but the same amount of move to the right went totally 180 degrees around (i made sure sitting nice in center infront TrackIR), or moving the head a little up, the in-game movement was kinda right going up, but moving the head down, it just stopped at horizontal level and i couldn't look down at all , or i had to re-center constantly, just noticing, the centering must not work, or zooming not working, or only in one direction .... well , weird like i said, and nothing like vector-like moving !

Reading some posts about other users problems with the vector exp. , i thought, too, there must be a problem.

Well, finally, after collecting some infos and hints through the posts, i've got it working now, nice, the way it should be, in FS2004 (as seen on the demo-videos) !
Left - right, up - down, move in - move out - tilt my head sideways ... all working now - cool to move forward, looking just behind the yoke.

What i first did is, covering up the one center reflector on my tracking hat (using black isolation-tape strip ...), so there are only 3 nice big green dots visible now.
Second - and that's what i've noticed the most, by moving the position of the hat on my head in the up-down direction, and it was working then not at all, better, best , worse - just depending on, how i was wearing my hat.
Meaning: after positioning the hat with that 3-reflector-vector-clip totally lined up with the TrackIR device and it's recieving front, it started
to work perfectly - centering at that position.

In my case the reflection-surfaces had to be parallel lined up to the tracking-device-front, or it didn't center right and was messing up !

Maybe some problems could be caused, too, if the 3-reflector-clip is or got bended somehow, and the 3 surfaces aren't parallel to each other no more. At least that had an effect in my case.
(i've got the vector-expansion from e-dimensional, too, in a soft-paper-pack - the single parts just dropped right into it, flowting in space ... ... ).

Finally, i 've adjusted the smoothing slider, as mentioned by Charlie, down to 20, and wearing and using the tracking hat, i've made sure, that activating "Tracking"-window in the profile-settings and there under "Settings..."-button, that the dot-tracking is set to "tracking hat", which changes the prefered object size to value 200 (before at dot-value of 100).

After doing this suddenly the 6DOF tracking started to work as promised.

Maybe this could help some users having problems using vector and a tracking hat.

[ December 17, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: galaxy ]
gsgalaxy

Re: vector exp. - finally working in FS2004 ...

Post by gsgalaxy »

Forgot to add:

I've got an idea, for problems with the 3-reflector-clip use.

Since it showed problems, at least with me, if the "flat" reflectors aren't aligned no more close to being parallel pointing towards the trackIR reciever and therefore the tracking calculation between those 3 dots get's messed up then, maybe that clip could be a little bit redesigned.

As an example i'll take the front of my tracking hat, which has a build-in reflector in the center and front of the brim.
Since the brim isn't totally flat at the front, and therefore the reflector is smooth bended around the round brim-front. This could have helped the tracking process "before" the vector expansion, because it doesn't matter how far i move my head up or down, there will be always some part of the bending being pointing straight towards the tracking-device.

So maybe the 3 reflectors on the clip would have to be shaped like the backside of a satellite-dish or bowl, whatever ... to make sure, that it doesn't matter, where i move , up-down, left-right, tilted, diagonal - there will be always some surface-area pointing perfectly towards TrackIR front.

Just an idea - maybe something like this could improve the new vector-tracking in some way.

Crazy idea or maybe possible ??
Just trying to help ....
steku

Post by steku »

quote:Originally posted by galaxy:
and wearing and using the tracking hat, i've made sure, that activating "Tracking"-window in the profile-settings and there under "Settings..."-button, that the dot-tracking is set to "tracking hat", which changes the prefered object size to value 200 (before at dot-value of 100).
IMHO when using vector it doesn't matter what you set for dot-tracking. Or maybe it matters because of some bug in software?
gsgalaxy

Post by gsgalaxy »

Well, i've just switched it to 200 for tracking hat,
like i was used to without having vector activated.

At least by doing all of the things above, it's working now without problems so far on my side (enjoying to lean forward and stretch up, to look over the front panel to the hood of my plane ).

Maybe dot-tracking does influence this just a little or not at all ... but for sure it doesn't hurt either, i've noticed ...

[ December 17, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: galaxy ]
steku

Post by steku »

quote:Originally posted by galaxy:
So maybe the 3 reflectors on the clip would have to be shaped like the backside of a satellite-dish or bowl, whatever ... to make sure, that it doesn't matter, where i move , up-down, left-right, tilted, diagonal - there will be always some surface-area pointing perfectly towards TrackIR front.
Looks like time for homemade vector clips improvements has come. Of course after you paid for original one and software activation.

Another idea is transparent peak of a cap or maybe better - some kind of modified vector clip mounted to headset.