IL2 Compatability

mopheta

Re: IL2 Compatability

Post by mopheta »

I think the best for me would be to put the vector with the two first dots just in your front, and the tird just in the middel of your head, just at the distance that has the vector.

It would be another vector solution, different that putting the vector in the hat. There would be more difficult to go out of the angle range of tracking (if your separation is not enought). And the tracking would be a bit more natural, because is tracking your head, not your 6/7 cms behind your head (the difference is possible to be inapreciated).

The only problem would be if you move your head up too much and your front disables the tracking of your 3rd dot, but I think this is difficult if your trackir is just in front of your head, or something up. Maybe a problem for some people.

I personally preffer my solution. It would be for me more confortable. I have never used hats, and I preffer not to see something just in front of my eyes all time (and I don�t like hats).
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

Another solution is to modify the software, and include a callibration option for the three dots (if it is possible). Then you can put the dots where you want being visible for the trackir all time.
I don�t know the flexibility of this hardware/software if programers want to do this.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Also, don't forget full native 6DOF support in the latest AcesHigh.
Dashboardsaint1

Post by Dashboardsaint1 »

Hey Barred,
Just a note of thanks! The "dead-zone" tip has enabled me to wage much war with great cunning!!!
My Vector upgrade is to arrive Thursday, and I read your post from 31 Jan. Are you saying that a greater than 3 foot distance is better for the vector?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Having the tracker further away is more vital when using the Vector. At about 2-3feet the single dot of the TrackHat (for exmple) is always in view.

I find 3 feet all right for the Vector, but I have all my curves for tracking below 30% from the bottom. That way I do not have to move my head as much to get the responce that I want.

TIR is not a plug and go device, because everyone moves differently and at different distances. It really does take some tweaking and getting use to, but is well worth it and there is always help here if you need it.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Mack great that it is working

Yeah the Vector really likes the 3foot distance and about 2" from the sensor. Also it is a good idea to have the sensor about 2" above the top reflector on the Vector.

Try and keep the bottom reflectors as level as possible and adjust the sensor so that all 3 reflectors are in the middle 'Tracking' window.

You should not need to adjust your profile. The Vector really adds to the stability and accuratcy in IL2 but at the moment there is no 6DOF.

Thanks for letting me know it is working, it is appreciated.

[ February 01, 2005, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
rijnton

Post by rijnton »

Barred, I don't understand �our above reply , that is the following sentence:
"Yeah the Vector really likes the 3foot distance and about 2" from the sensor".
That the vector should be at about 3foot distance is clear of course but what do you mean with "about 2" from the sensor" ?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Sorry Rijnton I used an abrievation and used the wrong word, it should have read 2" above the sensor.

Try 3 feet (roughly 90cm) between the TIR and the reflector (TrackHat or Vector for examples) and roughly 2inches (5cm) above the top sensor (if you are using the Vector).

If you are using the Vector make sure that the Vector clip is facing the sensor (TIR Camera) at right angles because the reflectors are curved for yaw but not for Pitch. This is why some people are finding that the ingame view gets stuck when looking down with the Vector or single dots some times, where as the TrackHat's reflector on it's bill reflects on the pitch because the reflecive material wraps a bit around the bill.

I would also in the tracking view make sure that all the reflectors are in the middle of the tracking view when you are sitting in your normal position (you might need some help with this bit).

I hope that helps.
Alex

[ February 03, 2005, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Barred ]
rijnton

Post by rijnton »

Thanks Barred,
So you mean that the middle of the vector clip should be directly opposite the TIR and that there should be the same distance between the left and the right lower reflector to the TIR ?
And I suppose that I have to adjust the TIR so that it looks a little downward, to have the images in the Tracking Screen in the middle ( that is in the vertical way), now that it's a few inches above the clip ?
Barred

Post by Barred »

Rijnton, you are spot on. With having the two reflectors horizontal really helps the tracking as there is less chance of TIR getting confused at the edges. Having the triangle of dots in the centre does give you a little more movement in all directions instead of half of them.

Having the Tracker above the peak looking slightly down will help keeping the top reflector in the sensors field of view.