IL2 series vs Combat 3 w/ vector

awz10

IL2 series vs Combat 3 w/ vector

Post by awz10 »

My Vector expansion is in the mail. I'm debating on which to buy IL2 or the combat 3. I have read reviews, but does the vector ability over ride the lower score (and I only say that because of one review I have read) Other than FS 04, I am new to flight sims. I am mostly in to FPS and racing. I thought I would try a flight combat because FS04 is fun but can get a little boring after a while.
JeanGuy

Re: IL2 series vs Combat 3 w/ vector

Post by JeanGuy »

Awz10,

If you can afford only one combat sim I recommend that you buy CFS3 to fully experience full 3-D and 6 DOF.

IL-2 is also nice but it consist of different sims (IL-2 FB, AEP, and Pacific Fighters) which can be operated as stand alone or merged together. Buying IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles, Gold pack, will give you the first two sims. You will then have to buy Pacific Fighters to complete the merging of the three. Remember also that a single non-merged IL-2 sim will offer you less options than CFS3. The IL-2 fully merge version is awesome but again you will have to take into account cost and the fact that you will only have 2 DOF.

In summary, buy a used version of CFS 3 for now that will allow you to learn combat sims. Use the money you save to buy BoB which will be the upgraded successor of the IL-2 series.
Barred

Post by Barred »

awz10, as Jean said for full 6DOF CFS3. Pacific Fighters would make use of the extra tracking presition, but would not add the extra movemets of 6DOF. There are patches and mods out there (mods for CF3 and Patches for PF). If you plan to fly online with PF you would probably have the extra cost of purchasing IL2 and Aces Expansion Pack to install before PF to get the most options of servers.

Which ever you go for the important thing is have fun and enjoy your TIR.
awz10

Post by awz10 »

Thanks, that really helps out. I was really leaning CFS3 for the 6DOF anyway I just didn't want to regret it with a crappy game.(so it will be all yalls fault! yuk yuk.) Any way thanks for that speedy reply. I'll try to locate a copy of CFS3. Not sure when vector will arrive there is no where to check orders on NaturalPoint's website. I guess you have to pray and wait.
Dart

Post by Dart »

You do know you entered into a Ford/Chevy debate, right?

For my money, it's the IL-2 series.
awz10

Post by awz10 »

Yea, I know, I am wanting the best over all experience for the price. 30 new for CFS3 and about 15 to20 used. For IL2 (I have tried the demo for the first game but not forgotten battles, its on my todo list soon) you are looking at 10 to 15 a piece, if I can even find the first one. No luck on ebay the last 4 days, and local stores do not carry it any more. They have the gold package with "FORGOTTEN BATTLES" and "ACE"for 30 bucks. Can't and don't want to spend alot of money after forking out 50 for vector. And after spending the loot on vector, I'd like to optimize it other than 'not as jerky'. And its not that the new fords are better, just better looking. JK.... ha ha
Barred

Post by Barred »

I was trying to be as neutral as possible. Let me put it this way tough. I have CFS3 it is ok.

I have IL2+AEP+PF and the original IL2 made me go out and buy a Cougar and CH Pedals.

Make out of that what you like
JeanGuy

Post by JeanGuy »

No matter which sim you end up selecting Awz10, welcome to the world of combat sims.

Suggest you read and abide to these Basic Flying Rules:

Try to stay in the middle of the air.
Do not go near the edges of it.
The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, other aircraft, and interstellar space.
It is much more difficult to fly there.

Hope this helps you Awz, good luck,
awz10

Post by awz10 »

I might have misunderstood, help me understand. In the IL2 series-- IL2 Stur is a stand alone, and FB and Ace are expansion pack for it. PF is a stand alone? or expansion? or both? Are there any good mods for these or CFS3 that should sway my determination? I am probably over analizing this and would be happy with either series. Maybe this helps, I am a fan(not die hard, but nonetheless) of Battlefield 1942 and the Desert Combat Mod. I have stayed away from flying until recently and becoming addicted to it and I would like to broaden my vision so to speak. I love the freedom that Trackir gives me in racing games. Hope that helps with what type of game play i like. I really appreciate the reponses I know it is kindof a debate between fans of the certain games, but I do take that into account. You guys are really helpful and greatly appreciated.

[ February 16, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: awz10 ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

History of IL2 (101)

First there was a sim called IL2 that blew CFS out of the air

After numerous patches that added more maps and aircraft over the years IL2 beame a daddy.

IL2 Forgotten Battles was born in to the ungreatful world of flight sims. After a couple of free addidions (content and patches) 1C Maddox Games had to make the decision to hve to sell the addon they were planing to give away untill somany people kidnapped IL2FB.

Because our cousins over the water were feeling left out with only CFS3 to stall their appetites Pacific Fighters was born.

Now Pacific Fighters could stand on it's own but did not like being an orphan so as it was a family loving child it was allowed to go and play with it's Uncle, BUT only if it's cousin was present.

Confused? You will be welcome to soap (IL2FB)

On a seripus note
IL2 was the original (+ free content to go with the patches)

IL2 Forgotten Battles is its semi sequle
ACE is the expansion pack for IL2.

Forgotten Battles is awquard. It is a stand alone sim for the Pacific Theatre. If bothe IL2FB and ACE are both installed then it is possible to use Pacific Fighters as a big paid for patch. This second option is the most popular one for vertual pilots. It is possible to buy IL2FB and it's addon on budget.

Now to really stir the pot to give you an idea of the 2 sides in this (IL2 vs CFS3)

CFS3 is a UFO simulator and the balistics in IL2FB is more accurate than the stock M$ games flight model

Seriously though Microsofts handling of Combat Flight Sim is a joke and a insult to it's customers. If it was not for a dedicated modding community CFS3 would have died slowly like an unwanted child.

I have run both, I found some very very stupid bugs some of wich were fatal bugs that really should not have made it bass beta testing. MicroSoft did not want to know. The first mods of the flight model were really an insult to mods, hacks would I believe would be a fair term wich ended my affair with CFS. Anyone could hack the flight model with a word processor or even notepad if pushed.

IL2's flight model and aircraft can only be added by 1C Madox games as the objects and flight model are encrypted.

I hope that is of some help into the background of the two games.

The BIG thing and it does not matter which you go for is;

DO NOT LET ANYONE PUT YOU OFF IF YOU ENJOY IT.

[ February 16, 2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Barred ]