IL2 series vs Combat 3 w/ vector

awz10

Re: IL2 series vs Combat 3 w/ vector

Post by awz10 »

Well I made the plunge into IL2 FB AE. The price was right, 20 for both. Not too bad. A guy at work is going to sell me PF and Lock on for 10 bucks. (he shoots he scores) I got lucky, he likes FS2004, he doesn't like war sims. So here I go, wish me luck. Thanks for all the help everyone. FYI I am gonna try CF3 If I can find it cheap enough, any one got a copy? I'm really looking forward to the 6dof in it!
Barred

Post by Barred »

Awz, my last post was semi tounge in cheek.
The cronology was righ but the delivery was ment to be semi humours(sp I am tiered).

I hope you enjoy IL2FB or even CFS3, on the surface they both aim for the same market but deliver in totally different ways.

As i said the main thing is that YOU enjoy Your choice.

BTW LOMAC is a 'study sim' the only trouble is that the proper manual is in pdf on the disk. Whilst it is great that UBI are deliviering sims of the quality of IL2 and LOMAC, it is a real shame that they had to penny pinch and cut corners on the home straight. Oh LOMAC will bring even the very latest hardware to it's knees so if you find very low frame rates take a leaf out of the cover of Hitchhikers Guid to the Galaxy.
awz10

Post by awz10 »

Yeah, I played the demo for LOCK ON and it aggrevated the hell out of me, but he is throwing it in with PF, not a bad deal.

That's the thing, I don't know what I will enjoy, so I'm trying some here and there.

As far as IL2 goes, its tough to get used to, but I guess that is for a different forum in a different place. It's just going to take some time.

Like I said in my earlier post I really appreciate the time spent on helping me out. It wont be forgotten.

Check out some of my other posts see if you can help there. Ha ha.(General racing, and general games, I think)
Barred

Post by Barred »

It is a pleasure Axz.
One thing that will really make IL2 that little bit easier to handle. Oleg himself has said that modern joysticks and HOTAS are more sensative than when IL2 was developed.

So!

Go into joystics and you will see a panel with 10 bars going from 1-100. This is where you can edit your responce curve in IL2 (It is simular in its function as NP's in TIR). I would sugest something like this for starters.

10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 55, 67, 79, 95, 100

You will have to do them to all axis, please do not forget the rudder axis as it is set to 100 right across the board if you have access to a rudder control.

Have fun tweeking so that it suits your style but that should make it a bit easier to controle.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Just a word of advice about Lock-On, watch all the training videos and take notes. Lock-On is one complex game at first.. Once you learn it, flipping through targets and radar mods and everything is second nature, but its quite daunting at first.

Is it worth it?

ABSOLUTELY.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Yup about LOMAC. It is the most complex 'studie sim' sinve the days of DI&EA's F18's were released.

One thing you will find with both is that if you leave either of them for a few weeks you will be supprised by how many mistakes you make when you come back.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Awz, I was the same way a few years ago. I thought I'd give a combat flight sim a try to see if it would be any fun and now I'm around a thousand bucks in with sticks, pedals, TIR, etc, IL2 series, etc.

The worst part is I don't regret one single dime of it.

Flight sims, especially on the level of exacting detail that the IL2 series has, offer a kind of fidelity that FPS and most other games will never be able to match. After years of FPS games one starts to realize the same patterns which just about everybody eventually "gets" then it all comes down to faster, more repetitive "twitch" response. The better combat flight sims have this too, to a certain degree but offer a whole other level of strategic and tactical thinking with the number of gameplay variables that come into play.

I still like FPS's but mostly when I just want to brain-out for a little while. When I want to get the heart pumping a bit I turn to the flight sim.

By the way, if you need any advice or tips on how to get through the initial learning curve make a post on the aCWoS forum and I or someone else will try to help.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=31

Have fun!
Barred

Post by Barred »

Carvel so that is where the 'old timers' went that left the whinge fest that is the UBI forum
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

yep.

Although I'm not really that dramatic. I still visit UBI now and then but I don't have a lot of time to spend on forums so I pretty much stick around aCWoS. Drop by.

cheers

[ February 20, 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Charvel ]
awz10

Post by awz10 »

Thank you, thank you, Thank you. I have been playing all weekend (just IL 2 FB & AE).
Yes it looks to be a little addictive. Still learning with the Quick mission, kinda like target practice, but still pretty challenging, and the tir3pro works awesome. still would like to see it support vector, any word on that? Many times I found my self trying to lean over.

Tis may be another for another topic but has\anyone had crashes after installing IL2 gold?