Home Made Vector Clips: Ideas?

wwsensei

Re: Home Made Vector Clips: Ideas?

Post by wwsensei »

A clip or device that would work with Vector and attach to aheadset would be primo. I use to use my TIR3Pro with a reflective dot on my mike boom of my headset and really don't like having to wear a hat...

If you are talking 3 LEDs then something that would attach to the ear pieces and the middle part to the boom would be pretty good.

[ August 18, 2005, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: wwsensei ]
TBS_Billy885

Post by TBS_Billy885 »

I hope in you all experiments you have tryed to move the vector clip back closer to the center top of your head and I have found the further back it goes the better the tracking is. Right now the 2 front reflectors are at the center of my head where the headphone head piece crosses the top of my head and the single reflector is behind that.

Works beautifully like that.

What ever happened to the 3 leds that someone was working on?
GADGET

Post by GADGET »

In my very first tests (only a few moments with the device) I have discovered the following:

1) Only 3 dots are working in tracking head movement, although having 4 dots helps in tracking rotation for some reason.

2) The upper/rear dot is the main reference point. Translation of the craneum is mesured taking this dot as the reference.

3) The other 2 side/lower dots are the references which position are compared to the upper dot position. This is used mostly for rotation tracking. Also the separation between these two marks, is the reference for distance to cam tracking.

4) The farther the distance from the upper dot to the other two, the smoother the movement tracked. Also it is interesting to have the upper dot as vissible and steady for the cam as possible, so the main reference is not changing constantly.

5) It is absolutely neccesary that the lower/side dots be in front of the upper dot, since their position relative to it is the information the software gets for head tracking (both dots left, right, up, down, centered about the upper dot). this means (for my upset) that this system does not work over a flat surface, such as a flight helmet. It is necesary some perspective, scaling distances from upper/rear dot and the other two.

6) Given the correct perspective or distance scalation of upper and lower dots, any size and separation among them works. Some combinations might work better than others though. Find the one that works best for your system. Knowing the the upper dot is the main reference, it might be wise to use a bigger reflective reference for this one, to keep it visible for the cam under any light conditions and head positions. It is also wise to place the upper dot on top of the head, so it clearly marks the center of the rotation axe of the craneum.

7) Is advisable to place the other two lower/front dots not so far apart from eachother, in order to keep their position in the cam's field of view at all times. Otherwise, if one (or both) gets out of the FOV, the tracking position jumps out of control.

Hope this helps a little bit to find out a better way to locate the references, besides the "all american" clip and cap system.

Greetings from Spain
doomusus

Post by doomusus »

traffic cones work well lol
fever

Post by fever »

The headset idea should be developed into a production model. I use a headset with a mic with additional support brackets that I have fashioned out of coat hangers in order to mount the VE reflector too. With this apparatus I can use the "rig" with or without a hat. It's held in place by pinching the side of the head instead of the ears and the weight is supported by a pad at the top. The thing looks silly but it functions very well. I don't use the small earphone as I dont like anything pressed against my ear for long periods of time.

[ September 23, 2005, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Fever ]
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

quote:Originally posted by MeJoe:
...at $9 a pop (plus shipping) .

$9 a pop! Sounds good to me! I need a replacement vector clip and the best I can do is �16 + P&P. That's about $28!
I queried this via email....No response. I phoned the UK depot who say 'leave your name and number, we'll get back to you'....NO RESPONSE!
Good product, wouldn't drive my sim without it,(in fact I can't cos I broke the vector clip) but the service ain't all that.
Not happy
rodom

Post by rodom »

What was your email address you sent in a request with? The clip is $9.00 US but if your out of the contry the shipping charges might be more then the actual clip.

E-mail me directly at NaturalPoint @:
rick@naturalpoint.com

I will assist you on this matter.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I love all these ideas, especially the custom setup on the headset. We will be working to incorporate these new ideas into future Vector Clips.
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

quote:Originally posted by Doorman:
quote:Originally posted by MeJoe:
...at $9 a pop (plus shipping) .

$9 a pop! Sounds good to me! I need a replacement vector clip and the best I can do is �16 + P&P. That's about $28!
I queried this via email....No response. I phoned the UK depot who say 'leave your name and number, we'll get back to you'....NO RESPONSE!
Good product, wouldn't drive my sim without it,(in fact I can't cos I broke the vector clip) but the service ain't all that.
Not happyMy sincere apologies to the good folks at Naturalpoint. I have indeed received a response from Rick but it got trapped in my online spam filter. I really must check that damned thing more often! Once again, sorry